Celestial Navigation (Books You Would Recommend)

Started by Pablo, January 07, 2009, 10:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo

I am looking to pick up a book that will explain the principles of Celestial Navigation and would like some recommendations.  I did a search and didn't find a similar thread.
Paul

CharlieJ

There are quite a few out there, ranging from simple to arcane.  There is also a very good video on Celestial done by William Buckley, who happened to be an excellent sailor. He explains how to DO the math, without going into the excruciatingly detailed stuff about how it works. Much simplified and he details a "cookbook" or "Worksheet" method you might like.

The video is called- "Celestial Navigation Simplified" and is available on DVD also. It's listed on Amazon
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

I tried to watch WFB's video but fell asleep. :)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Bob23

Pablo and all:
  Check out Celestaire at celestaire.com. They sell books, sextants and all kinds of celestial navigation and conventional navigation stuff. They are a wealth of info. I've bought several books on cn including "Practical Celestial Navigation", "One Day Celestial Navigation", and "Celestial Navigation for the Clueless". One day will certainly get you started and Clueless is written for the the...well, ahh- clueless!
   Don't be intimidated...it's not as hard as some folks make it out to be.
Bob23

captain cajun

Thanks for the post, I like the DVD idea, however up here, I am surrounded by shoreline.  But love the learning.
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

AdriftAtSea

Two books I'd highly recommend are:

Celestial Navigation in the GPS Age, by John Karl.

The Complete On-Board Celestial Navigator, 2007-2011 edition
by George C. Bennett.

The second book has everything you need to learn and use celestial navigation, except the sextant, through the end of 2011. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pablo

I found a free guide from Henning Umland, A Short Guide to Celestial Navigation that seems pretty through.
Paul

petelesperance

Celestial Navigation for Yachtsman by Mary Blewitt was very very good, I would recommend it. It was 5 dollars on amazon.   

Auspicious

S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

LooseMoose

How to Find Where You Are From the Sun by George Buehler is a great place to start. Its really more of a pamphlet but it nails doing noon sights! Once you can do noon sights shooting stars becomes much less of a steep learning curve.

On the downside it is hard to find in stores so you may have to buy it direct from George himself http://georgebuehler.com/books.html

dnice

Davis Marine has this celestial quick-ref card. I don't have one (yet) but it looks pretty helpful.