News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bless me father . . .

Started by Solace, August 10, 2006, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solace

Bless me father for I have sinned . . . it's been a few months's since I have blogged or contributed in any way - there now the guilt's out of the way -

. . . when we last left was back in projects, projects, projects . . . I was living on the hard for 2 months - back in for June 25th. By mid July we were off on vacation sailing with my two teenaged daughters to the 1000 Islands (starting from the opposite end of Lake Ontario, in Hamilton). The last time we did this trip we managed to almost sink her on the way out, while responding to a mayday'ing power boater. Turned out my cockpit drain hose had begun to disintegrate. In rough seas the 2" exiting hole in the transom was below water most of the time. The automatic bilge pumps out through an 1-1/2" hose - do the math. We managed to tap a bung in and continued on our way, but not before some harrowing attempts to bail. The way home was no better. We broke the crank on the Atomic IV between 1 & 2 cylinders. More sea tales and memories for the kids.

In spite of all of that they were keen to do the trip again (with a rebuilt engine, transmission, new hoses, a new bottom and a brand vew DRS spinnaker) - yes, its been pointed out that I could have afforded to move up to a larger boat with all the money I've spent - *sigh

This years' trip was wonderful, though it never occurred to me just how much teenagers sleep before. We returned under our own power and the trip was relatively incident free - well, there was an episode when I got rope burn and skied a halyard while trying to douse the new spinnaker - we are investigating a sock - that will be next. . after the new decks . . or after the new autohelm - the old one cacked on the way home. again - big sigh

Thats me up to date - still sailing, still working on it - planning for the big Caribbean Cruise end of next year.

Cheers to all!

John

Captain Smollett

Good to hear someone's been out sailing.  Been still and hot here.

Usually, NWS gives a 5-10 mph forecast if there is any hope of a puff or two on the lake; lately, they've just been resigned to "Calm" or even the "0-5" forecast, both of which pretty much mean "shake and bake" if you are on the water.

Hopefully it will break soon.  We've had rain every day this week (much needed), and the Fall sweet sailing should start within a few weeks.

Glad you had a good trip with your family.   :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

Hey Solace -

Good to hear from you! Sounds like, "unplanned incidents*" aside, y'all are having fun, and that's what it is all about! :)

*...and don't we all have those? It's a part of it, I think. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

OK- I am certainly not the Father,   ;) but Solace, you have been forgiven!  :D
Good to see you back AND out there having some fun on the H2O. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2