News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

while im putting holes in the boat

Started by Publius, March 28, 2009, 09:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publius

any one have experience putting in recessed nav lights in the bow? should there also b lights on the sides of the sterns? any one have access to pictures of such?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

AdriftAtSea

Don't use recessed deck or hull mounted lights.  Use rail mounted lights, as they're far more visible..
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

mrb

There are no lights on side of boat at stern.  There is a nav light (white on the stern facing aft(to the rear).

Go with the bow lights (red for port,left, and green starboard,right) mounted from pulpit or deck mounted. 

Publius

i was planning to do both, on pulpit and recessed in deck, is that over kill?

obviously the pulpit ones will have much more visibility, i just figured if i ever thought i would put in recessed side lights, now would be the time (before i pain and while im putting holes in for the ports?

thanks for the stern info
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

CharlieJ

Recessed lights in the side of the hull  just plain suck. Forget them. Put them on the pulpit- in fact, get one with a single bulb and a bi-color lens- then you don't need two bulbs.

Consider what changing a burned out bulb would be like on recessed lights- you'd HAVE to be in the dinghy, or laying on deck, hanging over the edge with EVERYTHING subject to being dropped into the water- cover, tools, lens, bulb.

In addition, when the boat is heeled under sail the leeward light is almost impossible to see.

Here's the setup I had on my previous boat, under the pulpit- Tehani has the same, except doesn't have the wooden part.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Marc

On my boat thanks to everyone here at sailfar,namely CharlieJ, I'm gonna go with the same setup as Carlie J with aBi Bolor bow light mouted on a board that will be mounted on my bow pulpit.  For my stern light still haven'nt decided to go with a transom mount light or get one of those stern light on a stick that can be removed.  I also plan on having tri cilor mast light that will only be on whil underway the lights on the boat will only be on if I have the mast down while transiting canals bridges etc.  I think I'm doing this right.  I could use some input on this.  But no way on the side mouted lights, have already had that discussion.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Amgine

I believe it's against COLREGS to have two sets of sidelights lit at the same time. Furthermore, the angles from which the light can be viewed are strictly controlled, to avoid the situation where someone can see two of the lights at the same time except when precisely at the point of view where they overlap. This is so other boats can see where you are and know in what direction you are moving relative to themselves.

AdriftAtSea

Just remember, if you have more than one set of navigation lights, only ONE set can be on at any time.  The masthead Tricolor is in PLACE OF deck level lights, not in ADDITION to them. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Marc

I know' the only time the deck lights would on is when I had the mast down for tansiting canals etc.  Otherwise it would only be the tricolor on the masttop while underway.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

CharlieJ

Personally I would only use a mast head tricolor when offshore. In inshore waters, with small boats a possibility, I want my running lights down low where those boats can see them readily.

Exactly the same reason I want my anchor light just above deck level, instead of at the mast head.

Offshore, I would like that masthead light because then I want people on the bridges of ships to more easily see the lights.

On my trimaran I had both, On Tehani, I only have the bicolor on the pulpit, and a BIG spotlight in the cockpit, for shining on my sails.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

mrb

I agree as of early post no on recessed side lights because of visibility reasons. If sailing at night with any type of heeling, one light would be pointing into water and other would be pointing into the night sky, neither would be greatly visible to other vessels. On changing bulbs, on Coronado with recessed lights you changed bulbs from inside boat.

Be carefull with the stern light.  I have thought of those lights on sticks like power boats used, however they do not meet all specifications for a sail boat.  On a sail boat under sail power only stern light is suppost to show in a arc of 135 degrees.
This combined with forward lights let other vessels know you are a sail boat under sail power only, not to be confused with a sail boat under power which changes the rules of the road. 

A sail boat under power must show forward lights with white stern light and white mast light so as showing a white light visible in 360 degrees, or all around.

If you are under 7 meters and don't have any mechanical propulsion you can go with a flash light shining on sail.

Now just for discussion I have seen some very large sail boats with very cheap bow lights. Ones like you see on power boats ( abouts the size of a quarter with tiny little red and green lights in one unit  in a dome shape).  If you are really going to sail at night where you need lights why not put on lights that other boats can see and make them think you are as large as possible.

My Ideal lights for a boat with 2 or three shrouds is make up light boards that mount to the shrouds.  That way when another boat or ship approaches you from a forward position they are going to see lights well above water level and 6 to 8 feet apart.  Only problem with these is if you are flying a large lapping head sail.  Oh well, all lights are going to have a problem area on a sail boat with the exception of try color at mast head.

Tim

Quote from: Marc on March 29, 2009, 08:27:08 PM
I know' the only time the deck lights would on is when I had the mast down for tansiting canals etc.  Otherwise it would only be the tricolor on the masttop while underway.  Marc

But remember if you are under power with your steaming (masthead) light on, you must be using deck navigation lights port starboard and stern, or at least 1 meter under your mast head light. You cannot use a masthead tricolor and steaming light,
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward