News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Ship traffic

Started by Navyvet, April 15, 2009, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navyvet

This is a very interesting website I ran across it today wanted to let you guys take a look to could be very helpful to try to figure out if your area is busy that day.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
People sleep peacefully in the beds because rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf.

Bubba the Pirate

Very Cool!  Thanks. 
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve H

thanks , unfortunately  i know there are ships moving in galveston but none are showing up.

seems it might be hit or miss
1978 c&c 29   kemah texas

newt

The Houston ship canal is the LA freeway of the water. Never not seen a ton of big barges/tankers/whatever out there. Its the best place to learn navigation and avoiding those boats- its do or die. Took my wife a few years to calm down after our ASA courses down there. (See honey, there is only one Tanker in Tampa Bay right now ;D)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

AdriftAtSea

Unfortunately, the AIS websites are going to give complete info, since some areas still aren't fully equipped to deal with AIS transponders AFAIK.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Steve H

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on April 16, 2009, 04:01:14 PM
Unfortunately, the AIS websites are going to give complete info, since some areas still aren't fully equipped to deal with AIS transponders AFAIK.
yeah but you would think a major area like the houston ship channel would be equipped, i can see ships moving in corpus and matagorda ,go figure
1978 c&c 29   kemah texas

Shipscarver

Hey Steve -
Now may be the chance to get some free equipment - see the site:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

mrb

I was wondering how the pirats knew where to look

Navyvet

Lol that is how I found the website. Old friend told me to take a look at it because it was how(they finally blacked out near the Somalian coast) a lot of the pirates where getting ideas of what and when boats where going to be coming there way. I thought it would be nice via the fact we aren't the biggest thing on the water and we need to get out of there way. Will give us alittle heads up if there is a stack of 6-7 incoming ships torwards a channel might help us out.
People sleep peacefully in the beds because rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf.