News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruising & Firearms

Started by dnice, April 30, 2009, 02:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

It shoulda been red wine! that'll help avoid the increased risk of heart attack (#1) and stroke (#3) related to the cheese quesadillas. Though I suppose either grog or wine might in turn increase the risk of motor vehicle death (#4) and falling (#6)...

Ah well, more grog to you Bluenose!

Mario G

I have not heard any meantion of black powder weapons. 

I think something like this  http://www.collectorsarmory.com/index.php?p=product&id=2176&parent=160  secured to a bulk head in a decorative fashion.  Just a thought ;)

CharlieJ

:D :D

Did you read that ad? That's a $400 BB gun ;D ;D Uses a percussion cap to fire a BB

Seriously, having used black powder firearms for 20 years in re-enactments and rendezvous, also for hunting, I'd hate to rely on a front stuffer to fire after hanging on a bulkhead in a salt water environment for months, with the same load down bore.

For close range self defense,I still recommend a can of wasp spray- good up to about 20 feet away and completely legal every where.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 22, 2009, 08:37:03 AM
:D :D

.....I still recommend a can of wasp spray- good up to about 20 feet away and completely legal every where.

That would get a night invader's attention!

Sure hope you don't get any on your Cheese Quesadillas though....  ;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Oldrig

I think black powder weapons would be exempt from most gun-control regimes, although I agree with Charlie that I wouldn't want to have a loaded black-powder weapon stored in a humid marine environment for any length of time.

When I first relocated from Maine to Massachusetts, I went to my local police chief to get a Firearms ID card (a simple process back then). When I started to mention my .50 cal. black-powder rifle, Chief Wilson just laughed. "Oh, that doesn't count," he said.

Who knows if that still applies, even here in Massachusetts.

--Joe

P.S. Wasp spray is good enough for me, too.
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

s/v Faith

One other think about Cheese Quesadillas.  Really hot ones can burn the skin off of the roof of your mouth... maybe something to consider offering an intruder.  Boy, he might think twice about coming back if he could not taste anything for a couple of weeks....  :P

Bluenose

Quote from: Amgine on July 21, 2009, 10:12:32 PM
It shoulda been red wine! that'll help avoid the increased risk of heart attack (#1) and stroke (#3) related to the cheese quesadillas. Though I suppose either grog or wine might in turn increase the risk of motor vehicle death (#4) and falling (#6)...

Ah well, more grog to you Bluenose!

He he. I hate the falling down part. But gota put the heart first.

Quote from: s/v Faith on July 22, 2009, 08:56:32 AM
One other think about Cheese Quesadillas.  Really hot ones can burn the skin off of the roof of your mouth... maybe something to consider offering an intruder.  Boy, he might think twice about coming back if he could not taste anything for a couple of weeks....  :P

Do you need a carry permit for a scalding hot Quesadilla? Kinda adds a new meaning to killer hot sauce.

Shipscarver

You need the correct ammo -- Cheese quesadilles ne ed white wine!  ;D
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Captain Smollett

I like my quesadilles with shrimp.

And Cheese.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

They do make large pepper spray containers that will throw the stuff 20-30'.  I had a couple of them down in VA. ;)  Easier and safer to clean up after than wasp spray, which is a pretty nasty chemical, and far more likely to act on the intruders quickly.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on July 24, 2009, 09:47:19 AM
They do make large pepper spray containers that will throw the stuff 20-30'.  I had a couple of them down in VA. ;)  Easier and safer to clean up after than wasp spray, which is a pretty nasty chemical, and far more likely to act on the intruders quickly.

I bet that would completely mess up the taste of your quesadilles....  :P

;)

Frank

After some serious contemplation about this ssue....I have decided my best defence is to come up from below nude. That would be enough to scare anyone off ...or at least make them violently ill. :o
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CaptMac

AdriftAtSea,

Do a search on Bear spray, its like pepper spray but shoots out about 50 feet.
Seafarer 26

AdriftAtSea

Not if you like them spicy. :)
Quote from: s/v Faith on July 24, 2009, 09:50:15 AM
I bet that would completely mess up the taste of your quesadilles....  :P

;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

A lady was filling her tank at a gas station, smoking a cigarette,
even though all the signs say not to. The fumes that came out of
the gas tank ignited, severely burning her hands, and the fire
crawled up her arm.

Instead of rolling on the ground to put it out, she panicked and took off
running down the street.

A police car was at the intersection where it happened, and he tried to stop
her to put out her arm, but she just kept running and screaming. All the
officer could think of doing was to shoot her. This took everyone by surprise.
The officer ran over to her and put the fire out, then called for an
ambulance.

When questioned about his course of action to stop her, the officer said, "My
only thought was to stop her......

....After all, she was waving a fire-arm."

ThistleCap

You're crazy.  That was a good one.  I was sitting there reading along so seriously, wondering where that was all going................and then!!  But, she won't do that again.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

BeeRanch

For those requiring serious anti-pirate protection:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQqvcqTbUKc

:o :o :o

Travelnik

OK, being new here, maybe I shouldn't dredge this topic back up, but sometimes you just gotta say something!

Several of the posts on this topic have been spot on...I like eggs too, and cheese, and cheese in my eggs and quesadillas!

I am just so totally appalled that NO ONE brought up the good ole Bacon Sammich!  ;D

Yes, maybe heart disease is the big killer on that list, but where is the reason to live without bacon? ???  ???

I realize that it cannot be carried for an indefinite period, but bacon should be available in many countries without a permit, so I feel that it is necessary to bring it aboard!

;D
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

s/v Faith

Quote from: dsmastern on August 12, 2012, 05:04:14 PM
OK, being new here, maybe I shouldn't dredge this topic back up, but sometimes you just gotta say something!

Several of the posts on this topic have been spot on...I like eggs too, and cheese, and cheese in my eggs and quesadillas!

I am just so totally appalled that NO ONE brought up the good ole Bacon Sammich!  ;D

Yes, maybe heart disease is the big killer on that list, but where is the reason to live without bacon? ???  ???

I realize that it cannot be carried for an indefinite period, but bacon should be available in many countries without a permit, so I feel that it is necessary to bring it aboard!

;D

It is a scientific fact that without cholesterol a person would die...

... just saying.

Tim

The facts mam just the facts;

30,000 avg. deaths by firearms per year

600,000 avg deaths by heart disease with high cholesterol

;D  just sayin'  ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward