Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruising & Firearms

Started by dnice, April 30, 2009, 02:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v necessity

-snip-
"It sort of prevents you from just slipping away in the middle of the night...."

Actually if in a foreign country, you are pretty much prevented from doing that by the need to clear out of the country. Not doing so, not having exit stamps, could cause difficulties in the NEXT country you visit.
-snip-

Well I meant it as a figure of speech.  It's my understanding that when clearing with firearms you frequently have to go directly to the boat and directly away.    Whereas, without a firearm you still have to clear out, but you have a bit more freedom as to when and where you clear out, and how much time you have to depart after you clear out.   *If* this were to be true, then you *might* see the guns as actually posing more risk than they could ever avert.

I honestly have no idea what the reality is.  Seems opinion runs the entire spectrum.  Some say that guns are no problem, declare them and lock them in a sealed locker while you are on shore, and it's easy as Sunday morning.  No big deal.  And in the other corner it seems that you have to surrender them, return to said port to get them, wait for them to let you have them back (their schedule not yours) and then once you get them you must depart immediately.  Regardless of the hurricane that is about to hit.  (or the pirates that have just received a phone call about your departure time and route)

dnice

Wasp spray is a good idea, I was thinking bear spray or a big can of pepper spray, but it seems even that stuff is a cause for scrutiny in some ports.

necessity: thats exactly why I'm so curious, some claim to have no problems, and some say otherwise. So trying to find out what the differences are and getting specifics out of anybody (like which countries/ports and what type of gun was it, was it locked up, etc.. etc..) seems to be near impossible in a public place. Which is probably a good thing.

I guess there's just too many variables when you're talking about multiple countries, ports, and customs officers.

But since the potential for problems in certain places is likely, I doubt I will be carrying anything that even looks like a gun until I get out there and see how things are for myself, but my curiosity is not at all satisfied.

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

captain cajun

Quote from: skylark on May 01, 2009, 08:57:00 PM
I fights to the finish cause I eats my spinach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnO4EhusWuQ

Yes, I remember that from Tv.  Now was that last week,  or the week before?   ???
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

s/v Faith

Before there was Dirty Harry.......

Before there was Chuck Norris.....

There was Popeye the Sailor Man!!!!!

Quote from: skylark on May 01, 2009, 08:57:00 PM
I fights to the finish cause I eats my spinach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnO4EhusWuQ

Grog to you for that one!   ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

captain cajun

Did an  internet seach, boy, I am old.  Thanks, I forgot about Popeye.
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

Michael Homsany

Quote from: LooseMoose on April 30, 2009, 08:43:39 AM
The BIG problem is simply that almost anywhere you'd want to sail to will have very strong laws about the possession of guns on board a boat. Failure to declare said guns or ammunition is of course breaking the law and breaking laws in a lot of places means serious prison time, huge fines and in many cases confiscation of your boat....

Just throwing my 2 cents (opps, they've been eliminated, make that 5), being in the similar situation as loosemoose, I have almost exactly the same things to say.

After martial law was declared here five weeks ago, I'm advising anyone with weapons on board not to even come to Fiji.  All needs happen is a tight-strung person comes in on a yacht with a weapon, runs into a soldier who could be a bit sharper, then a shooting of someone, and an international incident.

I'm not anti-gun, I'd actually love to have a bird gun here (Pacific Pigeon=yummy!), it's all just outside my personal risk threshhold to have one on board.

best,
About Bebi Electronics-Winners of the Democratic Government of Fiji's Annual Unique Exporter of the Year Award!
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/about.html

Tim

How are things down there for cruisers. Maybe we could get you to start a new thread when you get a chance.

I know for most small boat cruisers crossing the puddle for the south seas is not real likely but  it is nice to dream ;)
Plus I am contemplating perhaps doing a little traveling that way next year perhaps trying to find a charter for some of the time.
How is the politcal scene affecting day to day life.

Thanks Tim
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Crossing the Pacific, and sailing the south sea islands has been a dream for years. Unfortunately, now at 68 years old, it's not really likely to happen. I'll settle for the Bahamas I suppose.

But Laura is quite a bit younger than I, and a helluva sailor, so perhaps SHE will one day make that sail, after I'm gone. Maybe she'll carry a bit of my ashes and dump them in some lagoon somewhere one day. Long time from now I hope :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Although not QUITE as old as you Charlie ;D I too don't think I will be making the crossing in this lifetime, but I haven't given up on the idea of flying there and THEN sailing ;)

Something to think about anyway :)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

C'mon, guys, ya'll are not down for the count yet.

No guts, no glory.  I say go for it.      ;D  Live the dream.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

TJim

Com'on Charlie, You are developing an attitude problem.  Man you're only 68 and you got the fountain of youth for crew... Just go for it ..  Jim

CharlieJ

;D

And I just drove down to the beach and watched that crew sail past ;D

She's out on the boat single hand for a couple of days, while *I* stay here and work.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Grime

Quote from: TJim on May 12, 2009, 08:58:22 AM
Com'on Charlie, You are developing an attitude problem.  Man you're only 68 and you got the fountain of youth for crew... Just go for it ..  Jim

I agree just go for it. We aint old we're in the prime of life.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Frank

I think it was Eric Hiscock that crossed the Tasman sea for his 78th (+/-) birthday ....STOP dreaming..action man...ACTION ;) ;D :o :)   You have something in common....a great sailor for a wife ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Amgine

Reports have John Davis aboard a 35' custom sailboat s/v Radiance II just arrived at Taiohae, Nuku Hiva. John's 72 (or 73) years old, and single-handing.

CharlieJ

;D ;D ;D

Yeah, yeah- I know all that- and Phil Weld won the OSTAR on Moxie at 66.

I ain't saying I'm OLD, just that choices must be made, and it looks like the Keys and Bahamas are gonna be the choice, at least for the next two years.

After that, who knows? Perhaps we'll decide Tehani is just too small and opt for a BIG boat- something in the 28- 30 foot range :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 12, 2009, 05:28:21 PMAfter that, who knows? Perhaps we'll decide Tehani is just too small and opt for a BIG boat- something in the 28- 30 foot range :D

I was just noticing this evening how much less a Triton heels when stepped aboard (very little, for me), than an Ariel (noticeably).

Something about that extra ton or so of displacement, I reckon... :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

newt

There is no replacement for displacement (Alright WHO said that and what are they doing on this board!)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Chattcatdaddy

I`m an competitive shooter and own several firearms for target shooting. Strangely enough I do not carry a personal defense firearm. SO when I finally get that boat and cast off the lines it will most likely be unarmed.

Too many regulations to enter a foreign port with a firearm. As I understand the Bahamas are not much of a problem if you have a firearm on board. Other country might not be so understanding and will be a real headache when declaring a firearm onboard.

If you have any doubts that you might be able aim at the bad guy and pull the trigger then a firearm is not something you should have onboard. Education on safety and operation are extremely important and one should not take possesion of a firearm lightly.

My .02
Keith
International Man of Leisure