News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Met a Sailfar-er today

Started by Captain Smollett, May 04, 2009, 11:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

The children and I took a drive over to Bath, NC today to meet up with Owen on Velpanore.  We had a pleasant afternoon visit.

We took a drive into Washington to go to WM and let Owen check out the Washington town docks from shoreside before venturing up-river from Bath.

Then we went over to Dairy Queen where we 'let' Owen treat us!  Thanks, man, there is little like a nice cold treat on a hot day.

Back at his boat in Bath, he and I went to comparing his (beautiful) Alberg 30 to mine.  Owen has made some interesting modifications so I took serious note.  We also looked at some charts and I offered what limited, infantile local knowledge I could of Neuse River navigation for his next trip down this way.

All in all it was a VERY pleasant afternoon (for me at least   :D  ), and the children certainly enjoyed learning about the differences between Southeastern US English and Australian English.

We wish you fair winds on your travels north, Owen.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

An update:

Owen moved his boat from Bath to Washington yesterday morning.  Whew!  What a day to move the boat...rain and t-storms all day.  But, he found a window in the morning and slipped into the Town Dock at Washington just before some of the really heavy stuff hit.

We, including the wife this time, went up to have dinner with him.  We had a pleasant, tasty meal at "Down on Main Street," a local restaurant within easy walking distance of the town dock.  Good food here and a cruiser friendly atmosphere.

After a couple of days in Washington, Owen will be making his way North to cruise some on the Albemarle Sound.  It may take him a while to get there, as he is in real cruiser mode.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

newt

Captain, maybe I could tell my tale of how a Sail-farer came to the rescue. I closed on a boat a couple of weeks ago, and I had to get out of it's very expensive slip. My sailing partner (my son) really didn't want to go along and it was a new large (for me) boat. Unwilling crew on a unknown boat-recipe for disaster! Well I started putting out distress calls on the internet and Amigine drove down to Seattle (from British Columbia) at a moments notice and helped me pilot the boat to its new home in Bellingham.
Just sailors helping sailors...
You couldn't ask for nicer people. That is when being part of this community really counts! ;D
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Captain Smollett

Good stuff, Newt.  Though I fear it is becoming cliche, I have to echo the common thought that you meet the nicest, most generous folks cruising.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina