News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Contessa 26

Started by newt, September 15, 2009, 04:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newt

Question- how do you get you boat to the east coast for the Scoot? What if you bought one there, scooted with it and sold it afterwards? The Contessa looks like a good candidate. What do you guys think?
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

AdriftAtSea

The problem with that idea, is that most boats won't be ready to go and you're likely to lose money on selling it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

newt

I agree Adrift, but would I loose more trucking my boat from Utah? It looks like 3-4 grand by the time I take all the time off, haul it, and turn around and haul it back. I am taking into account the time off from work. Would I loose less by buying, equipping and selling?  Plus  I get to sail another boat :)

AdriftAtSea

Yes, but you're not thinking about the time and expense of fitting the "new-to-you" boat out.  That is going to add to the costs you will have to consider when comparing outfitting the new-to-you boat to transporting your boat.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Christopher

I don't know what kind of boat you have, but why not buy a trailer for it and drive it over.  Then, not only do you get to participate but you also have a SUPER useful trailer out of the deal.  I imagine the 3 or 4 grand you'd spend trucking the boat from Utah would easily by you a nice hefty trailer instead...
1993 Hunter 23.5

newt

Chris- I have a Compac 23. Great boat, but I don't really have a handle on how watertight it is. Great for lakes, were your bilge pump will take care of small problems, not good for the gulf stream, where I might be broached several times in one storm. I am just trying to figure out selling it and getting a contessa vs trying to waterproof it.

Christopher

Ahh I see.  So you probably already have a trailer for your Com-Pac then.  I like the looks of the contessa.  I've been following Nick Jaffe's progress in his little Contessa.  Talk about being so nearly in the wrong place at the wrong time.. In Samoa right when the tsunami hit on the last portion of his trip across the Atlantic and Pacific...

Hope you find a way to participate in the Scoot!
1993 Hunter 23.5