News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Medical Supplies

Started by The Edge, December 29, 2005, 07:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Edge

I feel medical supplies can be just as important as propulsion and securing (anchors).  This is particularly true if you like to get away from the maddening crowd.  I am talking about more than seasickness remedies.

I like to trek/hike in remote mountain regions, read Andies.    A few years ago, I took a SIRIUS Wilderness Medicine First Aid Course for Outdoor Leaders.  I never plan to be a leader, but I figured the 8-day on-site course would give me confidence. 

I believe you should carry a medical kit depending on your kind of travel; i.e. cruising around the bay for an afternoon or taking more remote, extended trips into developing countries.

What do you feel is important to have on board and why?
It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

Captain Smollett

Smollett's better half, an MD, makes the following very generic recommendations on this topic:

(1) obvious stuff like any special meds you require, like for specific allergies or illnesses.

(2) Staple OTC meds like Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, etc.

(3) General first aid kits, like those at Campmor

are worth looking at.  That's what we carry both in the boat and in our camping gear and in our OTR adventure vehicle.

As one who has done a fair amount of hard-core outdoor stuff (read-going into woods for days at a time with nothing but a knife and the clothes on my back) and who led the March 1992 Wild Adventure Society Mt. Rainier Expedition (me and one other guy :) ), I'd add that like with your other sailing skills, skill and adaptability is more important than carrying a load-out of detailed, specific single-use items.

What you learned in the SIRIUS class is worth more than a hundred do-dads and trinkets.  Look around the boat for things you can use in an emergency (boat-hook or winch handle for a splint, for example).

Oh yeah, add medical emergencies to your list of things you drill for: practice sailing with your strong arm in a sling, for example.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Jack Tar

I agree Sarah a med kit is a must. I carry a larger one. I replace time dated materials each year when I replace dated flares etc. Recomendation 1 Dental floss can be used in a pinch for stiches. Plain of course. It's also good for sail repair. I split a knee open one year and rather than go back to port we stiched it up. It sure left a pretty scar.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

oded kishony

In a book titled "Sailing Promise" about a circumnavigation by a couple, the woman an ER doc, has a detailed list of her recommended medical bag for extended cruising with a discussion of many items. Wonderful book BTW, I read it several times.

odedkishony

The Edge

Jack Tar, The scar just gives you more character.  Character is one of my favorite words. 

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

The Edge

Teeth, too.  When I visit my dentist and tell him about my exploits with The Edge.   He gives me a sample of temporary cement and out of date dental tools.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

captedteach

Having the stuff to deal with a medical emergency is one thing but knowing how to use it is another.  A friendly doctor can give you some scripts for things like anti-biotics and some pain meds if you tell them what you are about to do and why you want the stuff - DONT expect a script for morphine though. I've got a couple of good first aid books given to me by an EMT but I have yet to read thru them - that too is on my to do list
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

starcrest

last may I was diagnosed with pappilary thyroid carcinoma,I had a complete thyroidectomy,a neck dissection,they think it was 2 or 3 lymph nodes removed,33 sessions of radiation therapy,the maximum dose possible,and radioactive iodine ablation.I now take synthroid once a day forever.with all the negativity that I received from family members,I made a comment that I will need enuff  synthroid to get across the ocean and back.with that said I got this unanimous reply in a very stern and negative fashion:'FROM YOUR MOUTH .....TO GODS EARS...'god must have heard me because I have a years supply on board.years ealier...on my second return from hawaii...on the triton...I was plagued by a painful ingrown toenail.now after working in an ER taking x-rays...I have seen how they are removed.but I had no lidocaine or syringes,I had no betadine to soak  the foot in.I did have an abundance of sea water available,,,and a bucket...no not the same one for ....well you know...so I soaked the foot til it was waterlogged.the nail was then very soft and pliable.lacking real surgical tools...I straightened out a large fish hook....I used the barbed end as a spear to probe underneath it, externally pry out and  expose the ingrown section.then with an imaginary hand grenade in my mouth,,,I grabbed the nail with a needle nose vise grips....and on the count of three and one quick yank.....its like I said b4...ya jusgotta be ruffntuff.theres more where that came from ....stay tuned...I will keep ya posted
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

CapnK

Glad to hear that ya ain't letting the C get you down, Eric! Kick it's butt! ;D

As far as the toenail -

Ow. Ow, ow, ow , OW!!!!

:)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: starcrest on January 27, 2006, 11:33:42 PM
I was plagued by a painful ingrown toenail.

Hmmm.   Similar story.  I dug one out of my toe on the flanks of Mt. Rainier during a winter climb about 14 years ago.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Dougcan

You climbed Mt Rainier in the winter!  Yikes!  and you're still alive?

Brrrrrrr!

Captain Smollett

No summit bid; two dudes were killed in an avalanche the week before we got there, so they were very finicky with the permits.  We base camped 1/4 mi from Paradise and made several forays on the mountain and glaciars.  Was out there 10 days total, 8 above snow line.

Our highest day, to just below Camp Muir, we turned around due to weather.  I've got photos of beautiful, clear sky (Mt St. Helens easily visible) then a 10,000 ft ceiling that were taken minutes from each other.  The sound of avalanches above us in the murk was what turned us around.

Our longest day had us starting climbing around 06:00; got back to camp around 14:00, then wen to the ranger station to see what was going on.  Caught a ride down to Longmire and ultimately out of the park not knowing they closed the road at 17:00.  We walked the 18 miles back to our tent, in the dark.  At sundown, it was 35 degrees and the wind was blowing about 25 mph or so.  We did not have one single jacket between us.  It was 01:30 when we got back to the tent, and I slept for 17 hours.

The next day, we went climbing again.   ;)

This was March of 1992.  And yes, I was in MUCH better shape back then.  :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

starcrest

I will tell all now in a user friendly manner,very much edited,about what happened on my ariel in 1983.during a very serious boy-girl episode,I found out at a very ...."climactic" time that the girl was epilectic.she was not taking her medicine...she claimed it made her look very bad.,....and it sometimes just doesnt work.I told her if she wanted to stay with me she had to take it (phenobarbital and dilantin) so she took it for three weeks.one day she had 5 seizures in a row.....an all day episode.when she finally became somewhat coherent,I told her she had to go and I mean tomorrow.she said she would go to a shelter for battered women,as her husband thru her out.tomorrow came.I  ended up pulling her lifeless body out of the cold january water.evidently she seized on the dock when I wasnt around.I guess its true what she said.... some times that medicine just doesnt work.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

s/v Faith

Eric,

Once again I am so sorry that you went through that.  I also appreciate your bringing that up.

Most of us consider the 'requirements' for going to sea in terms of water, food, ways to stay warm and get rest.

This thread is good in bringing up (emergency) medical care.  It is also important to realize that there are important human factors.

I have a couple medical issues, that have caused me to require emergency care in the past.  I know my limitations, and what I must do not to exceed them.

The environment a crusier will face may not always allow one to take a time out when things get rough.  The 'safety net' afforded by modern society may simply not be available.

This brings up many issues (some of which we touched on in the chat with Neal last night).  The belief that help or even rescue is just a few beeps of the EPIRB away have created a huge burden on rescue personnel.

Knowing one's self, limitations, and special medical requirements is not just 'good seamanship' but an absolute minimum requirement before one get's underway.

Not doing so does not just place one's self at risk, or the crew on that vessel.  It threatens the life of all who may be called on to assist.  It threatens the long term well being of those we care for, and even the future of a person's right to set to sea in a small boat. 

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

So maybe part of the SailFar ideology to emphasize is independence...not just in terms of electrical power, water supply and toilet facilities.

Other than striving to not become victims ourselves,how  can we (as a community) help the situation?  Promoting seamanship, an independent attitude and providing what assistance we can to others?

I was glad to hear Neal's perspective on self-reliance and personal responsibility along with the hearty agreement the sailfar group gave to his comments.  If we can help to spread that, living by example, to at least other boaters, I think we'll only make the waters safer for us all.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina