News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Attaching electrical fittings

Started by Amgine, May 23, 2009, 11:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

So I purchased a couple of Blue Sea products - a mini-bus for ground, a dual bus to break up the cabin lights and instruments circuits - and then I realized I have no idea how I'm going to afix these items. My electrical panel  is attached to a corner of the FRP liner, and the inside of it is formed by the coachroof. I can't screw into this without possibly breaking through to daylight, and I'd rather not add the possibility of weather leaking into the electricals.

So I'm thinking I could mix up some epoxy schmoo and glue them onto the coach roof/back of the electrical 'box'. This seems brighter than my first thought of gluing some wood strips in place and screwing them down: I don't need to add fire hazards to the electrical. But I'm not sure if the plastic bases will readily glue in, and I'm also not sure epoxy is all that less flammable.

So, anyone have experience/advice doing something like this?

AdriftAtSea

Amgine—

You really don't want to be gluing the pieces directly to the cabin. If you do that, you won't be able remove them easily if you have to replace them. 

What I would highly recommend doing is to epoxy two furring strips to the cabintop and then mount a small box to contain the components and protect them from water, shorting, etc... :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Amgine

Well, for the moment I'm hoping to avoid adding anything to the cabin roof. I may go ahead with a couple furring strips inside the current 'cabinet' (a corner of the cabin roof walled away by the fibreglass liner.) The space is reasonably convenient, weather resistant, and keeps the electronics out of sight. There's a spot under the bridgedeck which might suit for a separate electronics box which I'm keeping in mind for future possibilities.

I'm just paranoid about electrical and flamables, but I suppose fibreglass burns well enough too.