The Florida '120' - May 13-16, 2010

Started by s/v Faith, May 28, 2009, 01:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

I don't know much about this, found it on SailingPensacola.com

Sounds like fun if anyone here might be interested.  

They have a web site, Florida120.com  It is largely undeveloped, (The photo gallery is working) but here is an excerpt to give you the idea;

What is the "Florida 120"?

The Florida 120 is a raid-type event not unlike the Texas200 and other similar events. It is not so much a race as a challenge for small boats.

When will it take place?

The next challenge will take place on May 13-16, 2010.

Tell me more...

We will launch and recover from Pirates Cove near Josephine, AL. It is a classic old-time Florida hamburger joint with marina and they are receptive to events like ours. In fact, they are hosting a woodenboat get-together the first weekend in May.

Thursday we will have a meeting at 8am that is not required but will be a chance to get to know everyone and start together. I do realize some folks may not be able to make it until Thursday morning. We then sail 15 miles but through the twistiest portion of our route to the spoil island across from Ft. McRee that has been called Sand Island but is marked as Robinson Island on Google Earth. This is a beautiful camp-cruising spot with protected anchorage for deeper draft boats. Tent camping is common on these spoil Islands. Hopefully we will arrive with plenty of time for swimming and socializing. Anyone want to set up a beach grill?

Friday is a long sail with 30 miles as the crow flies. It is a beautiful sail through protected waters and no narrow channels (unless you are deep draft). We stop at Juana's in Navarre where we will have a barbeque and be able to reprovision for the return trip.There is also a real-nice public park and boatramp nearby if people want to join or leave us there depending on schedule. We could easily ferry people over from the park to join us on the island.

The 30 miles is repeated in reverse on Saturday. On both days we have a couple of great bail-outs in case the weather doesn't cooperate. One is  a convenience store in Pensacola Beach right off of ill-named quietwater beach. This is the beach behind flounders and there are docks available. We stop Saturday night on the barrier island off of Big Lagoon a mile past Sand Island, our first night stop. This is a good opportunity to walk accross to the Gulf and enjoy the waves!

Our final day, Sunday, we sail the sort of twisty 15 miles back to Pirates Cove where we will have an early dinner and awards ceremony (gotta have those funny awards!). Anyone who is interested in helping with awards please let me know.

This is a gorgeous and exciting route with beautiful and soft white-sand beaches to camp on and some longer legs to challenge.

The Challenge

The challenge is to do the entire route relying less on an outboard and more on oar and wind.  However, all are welcome so there have been four classes set up to complete the Florida 120 challenge under.  Regardless of the class, motor or tows will be permitted under bridges and in other areas where navigational hazards make the skipper uncomfortable.

Class 1: Motorless
   Anyone who does the challenge without a motor in or on the boat.

Class 2: Motor Contingency
   For people who have motors in or on their boat but do not use them for the entire course...some may ask why these two classes? However, there is a huge mental difference between having motor as backup and not having a motor at all.

Class 3: Limited Motor
   For people who use their motor within 300 yards of the nightly stopping points. Especially needed for those with larger boats

Class 4: Unlimited Motor
   Just like it sounds...those who want to accompany us and do the challenge but want to use their motor rather than bob n bake or want to do the challenge in a motorboat.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

A sailing bud of mine drove his Potter 15 out there to on an expedition that included this years Fl120.  Definitely some small boat cruising.

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

A link to some pics of the Florida 120 from TSBB-

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/read/695567

In June there will be the BEER Cruise in the same area, and at the same time, here on the Texas coast will run the Texas 200.

http://www.texas200.com/

The first boat in the first picture on that link is Laura and my Sharpie Trimaran

Also recently there was the BOOTS gathering up on Texoma.

Lots of small boat sailing going on
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

QuoteIn June there will be the BEER Cruise

I understand they are launcihg today.  Are there any SailFar boats participating? 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.