News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Converting icebox

Started by jotruk, June 06, 2009, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jotruk

I'm looking at converting my icebox to a refrigerator and have found this unit http://us.binnacle.com/product_info.php?products_id=5682 sounds like it is a doable conversion and I was just wondering if anyone here has converted there ice box and if so what did you use?
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Amgine

I've never worked with an icebox conversion. That said, I believe the latest Practical Sailor revisited the icebox conversion kits for DIYers in the most recent issue. The article had some great information about how the cooling units work, how to compare different units to each other, and some suggestions on how to select one for your boat.

Since the issue is probably available in your local West Marine, I would say it's a great cheap tool to look at before you make any purchasing decisions. You could also look at the online teaser.

TJim

Absolutely you can hook up tiller pilot. My boat is 28'6", weighs 9660 empty, and I  have the the small vane with a simrad 1000.  You can run it from the stern pulput to the vane and it is really easy for that small tiller pilot to drive.  Draws hardly any power at all. TJ