News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bimini Refurbishment

Started by Lone Palm, May 03, 2009, 01:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Palm

The bimini on my C22 is rather old and showing it's age. I don't know how old, I've had the boat 10 years and I've never replaced it. The fabric itself is in pretty good shape but the color is quite faded and discolored.

Has anyone tried dyeing one to bring the color back? What did you use? How well did it work? I'd really rather not replace it just because the color has faded but will if that is my only alternative. I don't know what the material is but it's similar to Sunbrella, nor do I recall the manufacturer at the moment.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin

"Lone Palm"
Catalina 22
St Louis, MO

rtbates

Quote from: Lone Palm on May 03, 2009, 01:06:38 PM
The bimini on my C22 is rather old and showing it's age. I don't know how old, I've had the boat 10 years and I've never replaced it. The fabric itself is in pretty good shape but the color is quite faded and discolored.

Has anyone tried dyeing one to bring the color back? What did you use? How well did it work? I'd really rather not replace it just because the color has faded but will if that is my only alternative. I don't know what the material is but it's similar to Sunbrella, nor do I recall the manufacturer at the moment.

Thanks,
Kevin

Don't know about dyeing what you have, but to protect your fabric use 303 Aerospace Protectanthttp://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=19

They have a product for every type of material and it works.
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

AdriftAtSea

Don't use the 303 Aerospace Protectant for cloth... For fabrics, you want the 303 Fabric Guard,  which will make it water repellent again. The 303 Aerospace Protectant is for plastics, hypalon, PVC, etc.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

Kevin, I don't think you'll be able to bring the color back easily, because as far as I know synthetics don't take dyes easily, post-manufacture. I wonder if what you have is "Sharkskin", which was a polyester. Poly fades moreso than acrylic, which is what Sunbrella is. Anyway, for polyester, spray paint would probably work as well as a dye. :)

Were I you, if the thread is still in good condition (none broken - that's the important part), I'd go for another season, and then take the faded cloth to a local sewer and have them use it for a pattern for your new bimini made of Sunbrella (or other soluion-dyed- acrylic).

Just a thought. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

kendall

I'll second Capnk about the paint.

I used to do a lot of vinyl and canvas work on boats, cars trucks and motorcycles, and tried all kinds of dyes and stains. The thing I found that worked best, lasted the longest, and was the easiest to refresh was plain old semi-gloss lacquer spray paint.

Ken.

Lone Palm

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I had searched Google and came up empty. Everyone said it couldn't be done, but sailors are a resourceful lot  ;D

I believe the manufacturer is Attwood. The dimensions and style fit. I think I'm going to order a new one. I'm already several seasons beyond replacement (yeah, I'm cheap). I really hate tossing something that is still serviceable just because it looks ratty if it can be cleaned up. The fabric itself is in good shape, no tears or abrasions anywhere. The edging is still perfect. It's just the "field" has lost it's color and is stained with bird poop (what kind of berries do those things eat anyway?).

I think I'll experiment with the old one. The paint suggestion has me curious, though I'm really afraid of the "ghetto" look.

Thanks again.

Kevin
Kevin

"Lone Palm"
Catalina 22
St Louis, MO

s/v Copacetic

Yep, lacquer paint in a rattle can will work. Don't put it on heavy, just do multiple VERY light coats. I've used this technique in car restorations and it works great and lasts.
Tom and Cathy
1979 Chrysler 26
On a sailboat, you're already there.