A Frisco Flyer's voyage by trailer and sail to Puerto Vallarta

Started by WayneS, June 19, 2009, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneS

I trailered my Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer, "Sumatra," from San Diego to San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, and from there sailed to Baja, south to La Paz, and then to the mainland, Mazatlan and points south, ending the trip (for a while) in Puerto Vallarta.

I had a blast, and was very surprised at how comfortable my 25 foot boat was.  Various curmudgeonly people warned that it was too small, but I had a fine time, with good weather, good food, great people.

If you'd like to read the blog of the trip, it's at http://sailing-sumatra.livejournal.com

A note about the trailering part:  I could have sailed the entire distance from San Diego, but did not, for four reasons.  First, I did not want to make the very long uphill trip back to San Diego under sail.  Second, my goal was to sail the Sea of Cortez and points south, and it seemed silly to first sail south to Cabo and La Paz, then north (into headwinds) to the middle Sea of Cortez, then south, back to La Paz, then south to Puerto Vallarta, and finally north (headwinds again) to San Diego.  Third, at 64 I see myself as nearing middle age, and if I developed a health problem or some other sort of major difficulty occurred, I wanted to be able to get the boat home fairly easily.  Finally, I wanted to keep the boat in dry storage in the PV area, while I spend the next five years or so sweet-talking my wife into spending part of our retirement in Mexico.

"To all those contemplating such a trip, I would say go."   (Always wanted to say that.)

Wayne

Chattcatdaddy

Quote from: WayneS on June 19, 2009, 04:54:02 PM

I had a blast, and was very surprised at how comfortable my 25 foot boat was.  Various curmudgeonly people warned that it was too small, but I had a fine time, with good weather, good food, great people.

Wayne

Great trip! I will have to give it a good read when I have a moment. Funny how some people think you need a 35` boat to sail on anything but a lake. Glad to hear you know better and didn`t let that stop your trip.
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Captain Smollett

Quote from: WayneS on June 19, 2009, 04:54:02 PM

Third, at 64 I see myself as nearing middle age

LOL...good one.  Grog for that.  Later, when I can give another, you'll get a grog for the trip, too.

Very  cool.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

Outstanding, It is now on my to do list (the benefits to having a boat on the trailer)

Here's a grog
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

TJim

Enjoyed your blog Wayne, especially when you ran into old friends in Chacala.  I haven't seen Bob and Vicky since January of 2002 when I escaped the winter Olympics and went down to my old stomping grounds in Nayarit. Next to Cuba, best Bass fishing I've ever had.  I was anchored 200 yards off of Marina La Paz when you were there.  My boat is still on the hard at Berrcovitz(?).  Broke leg and had to come home for surgery. I'm going to crew the Classic Plastic in Sfran and then head back to La Paz to pick up my Triton and move it to Guaymas. I have a buyer there and Then I'll be heading to Nayarit in the Ranger.  If you are in La cruz I'll probably bump into you there.  I usually have breakfast across the street from the hotel at ana's.  The Triton anchored off the mouth of the marina belongs to a
friend of mine. He plays guitar at Philo's and has fallen in love with a Mexicana. I think his boat has grown to the bottom and I doubt he'll ever leave.  Maybe me too. TJ

WayneS

Many thanks to all for the kindly notes.

TJim, I'm sorry I didn't meet up with you when down there.  I probably met up with your friend who plays guitar at Philo's-- spent a fair amount of time there.  I'm a blues guitarist, but couldn't join in-- no room on my boat to bring a guitar.

I'm back in San Diego now, and will go to the Banderas Bay area again when it gets a little cooler in those parts.

TJim

What!!!  It is cooler in those parts. And you can always go up the mountain to Tepic where a hot day is 90... And my friend with the Triton is Nick Freyer, a professional sail bum who you could probably find with his guitar and a coffee can playing on the bus!! I mean, really!! TJ