News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Singlehanding

Started by oded kishony, January 21, 2006, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

QuoteNo matter what... the first question is how can I make my boat simpler to sail?

;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

Quote from: s/v Faith on September 12, 2006, 09:33:28 AM
QuoteNo matter what... the first question is how can I make my boat simpler to sail?

;D

Ditto that -> ;D

I like Norm's 'semi-autopilot', so much so that I'll probably set up something like that on Katie. A few small turning blocks to make the leads fair and free, and a light line - nice and simple. Great idea!

Grog for Norm.  ;)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Norm

Thanks for the grog offer.

I cannot recall who it was that showed me the cheap autopilot trick.  I'd like to be able to credit him with the idea.  He sailed a quick 32 footer out of Milford, CT, as I recall.  Good guy.

The same thing works with wheel steeering, though not quite as well.  One can adjust the wheel to a default setting and then make small adujstments as one works the deck.

Best regards,
Norman
Boston
AVERISERA
Boston, MA
USA 264

castawaysailor

I have been singlehanding for 16 years; boats from 24 ft to 37 ft.  Best thing is an engine for docking but only had that on the 37 footer and now have engine on my NorSea 27 (no engine on the westsail, bristol, or the golden hind).  Plan ahead and take it slow when docking; be ready to abort and try again rather than hit something.  Learn how to warp a boat into a slip.

for sailing, nothing special, just reef before it is needed, tie yourself on when it is rough, and enjoy the time alone.
NorSea 27
s/v Castaway

AdriftAtSea

It helps to have some good solid padeyes in the cockpit, near the tiller or the wheel, so that you have solid anchor points for the lines to the tiller or wheel. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Grampian

Hay Yawl,

This is a great thread. If it never happens to most mortals, single handing around the tropics (between the 30s) is a dream that makes you want to live until you can actually do it.

Take a look at this: http://vps.arachnoid.com/sailbook/index.html

The author is Paul Lutus. Some of you might know about him. He circumnavigated 20 or so years ago in a Crealock 31 after teaching himself how to sail. Quite a story. The photo on the first page of the journal is compelling enough to get out there and go for it.

I have known Paul and his work (because of his site and the Internet) for a number of years. He has quite a unique take on life...

s/v Faith

Quote from: Grampian on December 07, 2006, 02:11:37 AM
Hay Yawl.....Take a look at this: http://vps.arachnoid.com/sailbook/index.html

The author is Paul Lutus. Some of you might know about him. He circumnavigated 20 or so years ago in a Crealock 31 after teaching himself how to sail. Quite a story. The photo on the first page of the journal is compelling enough to get out there and go for it.

I have known Paul and his work (because of his site and the Internet) for a number of years. He has quite a unique take on life...

Man that is a GREAT link!  I am really enjoying this.  A couple quotes;

QuoteDid you know you can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life.

And thisone written on the way to Hawaii;

QuoteMaybe sailing is one of those ready-made roles-in-miniature, giving you a feeling of clear, simple purpose in an otherwise cryptic world. Just put out sail, take in sail, look through the sextant, immerse yourself in the minutiae of going somewhere slowly and deliberately, while secretly hoping you'll never arrive.

;D  Grog for Grampian!

Zen

QuoteMaybe sailing is one of those ready-made roles-in-miniature, giving you a feeling of clear, simple purpose in an otherwise cryptic world. Just put out sail, take in sail, look through the sextant, immerse yourself in the minutiae of going somewhere slowly and deliberately, while secretly hoping you'll never arrive.

;D  Grog for Grampian!

Hey!!  I posted this link before on the external link section. I did not get any grog!!! whasss sup???   >:(  ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Zen on December 07, 2006, 12:47:04 PM

Hey!!  I posted this link before on the external link section. I did not get any grog!!! whasss sup???   >:(  ;D

Here ya go.  Grog to Zen for "Prior Art."   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Zen

Ahhhh, hits the spot!  :D

s/v Faith

Quote from: Zen on December 07, 2006, 01:54:35 PM
Ahhhh, hits the spot!  :D

Sorry man, musta missed it.....

Have another on me.  ;D

Hope you are not driving.

Grampian

Thanks for the refreshment. Zen, sorry your original didn't get credit. Actually, I read that post and thought if someone else knows Lutus this has to be an all right place to land.

I should have given you credit. So lissenup yawl: Zen put Lutus here first and he deserves the credit. Good on ya, Zen. Have some more Grog, too.

If yawl continue to read the journal, you will discover Lutus has an ingeneous way to handle pyerats too. Happened out in the nearby of Australia...

Zen

Smashing!

I'd better chill now, my mouse is starting to go all over hte place :D hic

CapnK

May be time for another intervention... :D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

LauraG

"I tried putting on shoes, just as an experiment. "

Great read.  :)

Solace

Great link

I am an avid single hander, having sailed thousands of Nm single handed.

The responses above are good and each has merit. The necessity of some things really depends on the size of your boat and perhaps your mobility.

First off, if you are cruising any distance, even for a day trip somewhere, an autopilot / autohelm of some sort is a true blessing. Single handed sailing may be difficult at times if you are committed to staying at the tiller or wheel. It won't be long before you wonder how you ever lived without one, and believe it or not, you will enjoy your sail even more.

A downhaul of some sort is another must anytime there is a chance of rough seas or escalating winds. The bow of a small boat is no place to be if it gets lumpy and the winds are blowing 7 bastards. Don't rely on your halyard - you will only damage your sail and have flogging sheets and sail.

I am also a beleiver in jacklines with a harness and tether. Good skippers should adopt the Boy Scout philosophy - Be Prepared.

Most of the time, single handed sailing is no big deal, but when the weather turns bad, there is really no excuse for not being prepared.

Docking takes some prep and some practice. If you are mostly sailing from your slip and return to the same slip, you may want to consider mounting some fenders on your slip finger - then they are out of the way when you're sailing - and always ready when you return. Since I've started doing that in our marina several other sailors have adopted the same idea.

Fair winds

John

Cmdr Pete

Picking up on what Norm said, its nice to be able to grab things from the cockpit, without having to climb down below.

I'm wondering what other people do.

Thinking about mounting something like this just inside the companionway

http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BP510&Category_Code=BPBLK

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

CapnK

C'pete -

Most of my 'grabby' stuff lives in a small set of plastic drawers which sit on top of the counter just under the companionway. Eventually, there will be a set of permanent drawers built there for the same purpose. It is nice to be able to stow stuff out of the weather, and also have it readily accessible. The bag you posted looks pretty good, I like the window on the front - it'd make it easy to see small stuff which had migrated to the bottom of the bag.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Bubba the Pirate

I had a Southern 21, among others, in Sarasota.  I could rarely find crew and sailed singlehanded often; mostly in the bay.   I had a downhaul on the jib and tied the tiller off. 

I saw Pam Wall at Strictly Sail Chicago.  She does NOT like lines lead to the cockpit for a good reason.   If you are up by the mast or forward you are getting a good look around at the condition of your rigging, etc.   This is as much a reaction to push button sailing as to lines lead aft, but a good thought.   Singlehanding, of course, requires planning and compromises.   In the intersest of full disclosure, Pam sails with husband Andy and not alone. 

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tafelice

I had to sail/motor the last 2 1/2 weeks of my trip alone.  One thing I did that helped is to make a list of everything I would need in the cockpit with me.  Then I would load up at the start of the day and I had everything there.  The list will help you to remember to have some of the other good suggestions you learned here.

With re to winch handles, I was sailing up Mobile Bay when the VHF boomed, "SailBoat in the middle of the channel I am a deep draft coal bearing vessel with a lot of suction, you should give me more room."  Well, let me tell you there wasn't time in 20 knots and heavy chop to do any winch-less tricks for trimming sail, I leaned over and cranked on my winch handle like mad.

Also, let me share something that worked well with regard to docking... you're alone on your boat but the docks may not be abandoned.  Most of the time on the trip I was stopping for fuel or a slip, I "just asked" the person on the other end of the radio, "I'm coming in to the fuel dock and I'm alone, can you have someone there to grab a line."  Works well.

Also, on a sail when you are trying to steer and look up stuff about where you are, marinas, channels anything... call out to Sea Tow or Tow Boat U.S.  and ask away.  They were all very nice and willing to help.  It seemed they figured that they were glad you remembered them now to ask the phone number for the next marina so that maybe you will remember them when you need a tow.

And have Tow insurance.  This goes along with the "single handing is a calm state of mind" that someone mentioned earlier.  I find that my attitude is "if worse comes to worse I can get towed in" doesn't make me lazy about solving my own problems but knowing I have an ultimate out I have the luxory of not panicking and then taking the time to work out my own problems.