Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Singlehanding

Started by oded kishony, January 21, 2006, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

Tafelice-

Where was the trip from/to?  Any places you'd recommend a visit to?  Any photos??
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

tafelice

I bought a boat on the east coast and took it home to Tennessee.  From Holden Beach, NC to Waverly, TN.  about 2000 miles.  Went down the ICW to the Okeechobee Canal to Ft Myers up the west coast of Florida ICW to Tarpon Springs, just above Tampa, then crossed the Gulf to Carabelle, then back on the GICW to Mobile, AL then up the Tom Bigbee, to the Tenn R. then home.

Got lots of pictures, not sure how to load them (they're on a digital memory chip).

Well, what to recommend???  I can tell you this, I kept saying "this is the best part yet."  So it was all really good.  Worst spot by far was from St. Augustine to Ft. Pierce.  Uninteresting scenery with narrow channels.  But SC and Georgia was nice.  Georgia is as bad as promised for thin water and shoaling.  If I did it again, I would just not run anywhere near dead low tide in GA period.  Got ripped off big time in Fernandino Beach, FL so I would recommend not going into there (use St. Mary's or St. Augustine).

The Okeechobee Canal was a big surprise.  Very nice.  Enough water despite what is being said however, the lockmaster said we should not take the rim route.  Alligators and interesting scenery.  The urban ICW of the west coast of Fl was kind of interesting and I enjoyed it.  The area toward the Big Bend (armpit) of FL was also very nice.  The best part was Apalachicola area.  The Apalachicola River and Searcy Creek was some of the best scenery around.  And the Tenn-Tom canal (tom bigbee) is like nothing you've ever imagined.  It is just wilderness for days and days.

AdriftAtSea

I see you took the long way around... :D  What kind of boat did you get???

Get a USB card reader and download the Picasa software package, which is free, from here.

That will get them onto your computer really painlessly.  If you're on a Mac, then use iPhoto instead, which should have come with the machine.

Both have plugins or some other way to help you get your photos on the WWW. :D

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

tafelice

I bought an S2 9.2C

Yeah, I know I could have shipped it easier but I wanted the adventure/vacation.  I was never really interested in doing the Loop but now that I have almost half of it under my belt I may do the other half.

s/v Faith

I would really like to see an account of the trip.   ;D

Quotethe Tenn-Tom canal (tom bigbee) is like nothing you've ever imagined.

I had looked at the Tenn-Tom to KY, and down the Mississippi as a trip I would like to do someday.  There is a nice website for the Tenn-Tom here.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Tafelice-

I'd like to see an account and photos of the trip.  Sounds like it was a good experience... and since you've got half the Loop done, you might as well do the other half.  :D

Congrats on the new boat. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Bubba the Pirate

I am still trying to decide which way I'm heading when I go south.   The boat is in Saginaw Bay [NE Michigan] and I have a brother in Boston.   If I can leave early enough, I am tempted to go out Erie/Hudson.    On the other hand, I was reminded that it is shorter to get to the Gulf down the Mississippi.   I would, however, have to go all the way up and around Michigan to Chicago.   

That is a phase II or III problem anyway.   I don't start phase I until next week :o)

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

skylark

I would like to do both the Mississippi/Tenn-Tom and the St Lawrence routes. 

My first choice would be the St Lawrence to Halifax, so I could jump from Halifax to either Bermuda or the eastern Carib.  I also want to see the old towns of Quebec.

I have heard a lot of negative things about the Mississippi, but good things about the Tenn-Tom.

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

AdriftAtSea

Mississippi has strong currents, big jetties sticking out from the bank to help reduce silting and lots of barge traffic.  not much fun for a small sailboat.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Bubba the Pirate

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on April 13, 2007, 02:34:24 PM
Mississippi   .   .    .    .    not much fun for a small sailboat.

That's kind of what I'm thinking.   I've read about the rafts of 50 barges pushed by 1 tug and I really don't care about Great Loop bragging rights.   I'm getting into this to be mellow.   I understand it often will be less than mellow, but the choice is to avoid what you can; weather, barges or otherwise.   

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AdriftAtSea

I read about the barge rafts that are 100' wide and try making passage through 108' wide openings and such... makes me think the Mississippi is very small boat unfriendly.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

tafelice

back to the original posters question, after rereading it I noticed he asked particularly about docking.  have longer dock lines.  I had 16' dock lines on a 30' boat.  those who sailed with me were always suggesting my old ones were too short.  finally one person said they should be 3/4 the length of your boat I got off my lazy arse and made new ones 24'.  WOW what a difference.  Docking was so much easier when you could actually be off less than the ideal length and still have plenty of line to reach or if you have to jump on dock alone how stressless it will be knowing you won't run out of line before you get a couple of wraps.  Also, be set up with bow and stern lines on both sides and spring lines as well.  I also keep one fender on the non side just incase I have to change my mind after I'm in the marina proper.  You would be surprised at how many marina employees, owners and operators cannot accurately describe which direction their dock lies and how the wind is blowing now across them.  (often it is not visible until you have traversed their approach channel)  And once after taking the time to establish which side I should set up for the operator at the last minute put me on another dock.  aarrrrrg.

regarding my trip from NC to Tennessee I sent out a little travelblog to anyone on my address list who would not block me.  I'm going to dig them up and post them over in "routes and destinations."  I think that is the best place.

Bubba the Pirate

for docking, Capt. Jack from Quantum, who appears on Latts and Atts TV on Dish's Water Channel or on your local iTunes, demonstrates some very useful things.  I'll have to watch them again to be specific but one that I remember: 

He has a spring line, cleated forward I think, he takes a large loop of line and pitches over the piling and then pulls in the loose end.   His fenders are preset slightly forward on the dock side and he pulls the boat in tight, cleats the spring line, the boat is secure and not moving and he attaches the other docklines.

Now I have to tell you about the time I got applause docking singlehanded:

[Shameless Brag]  I had a slip in Sarasota with a fairly long wide open approach that was typically a fairly broad reach.   I came around the point flying jib and main.   I loosened the jib so I was just making way.   I went forward and took down the main.   I had a downhaul rigged on the jib back to the cockpit.    I was making just enought way to untie the tiller, drop the jib via downhaul and ghost effortlessly into my slip.   I wasn't as slick as Capt. Jack [above], but I managed to loop a pylon and just 'slip' into the slip.   

I didn't realize the whole time, my neighbors, two boats over, were sitting in their cockpit with friends and cocktails.    When I stepped on the dock, they applauded and toasted me.   Being a scruffy working man, all I got was applause, Biff and Buffy didn't invite me to join their friends.   They were, however, very nice people anyway. :)   

TrT    :D
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pixie Dust

Very true about Sea Tow and Tow Boat US, very good to help, especially with local knowledge regarding channels.  Cruising guides are often outdated and info has changed considerably.
I always have lines ready when I come into docks and when I radio to the fuel dock, I inquire if lines are available or not.  I also usually let them know I am single handing and can use assistance if available.  I have had 50/50 luck with that one.  I am finding that some of the locations are self serve for pump out and fueling, especially city marina's.    What works best for me is getting the midship cleat on first, then working from there. 
I picked up my first mooring ball single handing the other day.  WOOOWOOOOWOOO.  I have done it with someone else at the helm, but never single-handing.  Trick I am told and it worked well for me in 13 knt winds, go into wind on windward side, go slightly past the ball with the bow of your boat, almost to mid-ship very slowly, then walk up and calmly snag as you start to drift back or while it is at midship.  Then you are not having to run all the way to the bow.  Have your harness attached to one cleat with the free end laying back within reach and slip it on until your boat settles, then adjust. 
I try to have all my charting goods in a bag in the cockpit with me, as well as the binoculars, handheld, etc.  I keep it in a clear waterproof bag that is made for Wave Runners.  This way I see what I am grabbing.  I can also keep the camera in there for those Kodak moments.   Snacks... oh yeah... gotta have those close by too.  :)
I have also learned that being on a boat alone, in strong winds at anchor totally stinks when your boat goes to dragging in a tight anchorage.   I am not strong enough to pull anchor in those kinds of conditions with that much wind wave stress on the boat, I cannot be at the helm and bow at the same time to run the engine and haul in anchor rode and it is not always a place you can just let out more scope due to numbers and locations of vessels.    This is still a concern and challenge.  Not always easy down here to locate anchorages where you can avoid this situation.  If mooring balls are avail, my plan now is to pay for it and sleep at night, rather than play bumper boats at 3:00 am. 
Still learning!!
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

Connie-

It might be worth installing a manual windlass, or at the very least a chain pawl.  A chain pawl is a godsend for those trying to haul up an all-chain rode, since it lets you take a break without losing any ground.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Pixie Dust on April 16, 2007, 10:26:15 AM

I am not strong enough to pull anchor in those kinds of conditions with that much wind wave stress on the boat, I cannot be at the helm and bow at the same time to run the engine and haul in anchor rode and it is not always a place you can just let out more scope due to numbers and locations of vessels.   

Another idea:

If you are using a nylon rode, here's a possible low cost solution: Snatch block and a stern line and recover the anchor to the cockpit.  Redeploy from there, or if weighing to get underway, sort it out "later."  If using all-chain, use a rolling hitch in the chain rather than a snatch block.

To weigh, as you move the boat foward under power (or sail, it does not matter), haul on the stern line which pulls in the rode.  The engine/sails are doing the work of moving the boat, and all you are doing is hauling in line/chain.

This way, you CAN use the engine (or sail) while recovering the anchor without having to go to the bow at all.  I've used this technique and while it does take practice, it works.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Capn Smollett-

Trying to haul an all-chain rode up in the cockpit sounds like it'd do a real number on the deck.  How do you prevent the chain from causing damage when you're hauling it up?  Also, where are you tying the rolling hitch to the chain?  Outboard of the bow roller, and bringing the anchor rode around the stanchions and lifelines to the cockpit?  Is the boat in forward gear (if using the engine) and don't you risk fouling the prop??
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Lynx

Capn Smollett -
     You may try an anchor float. Just come next to it and haul it in. Put the anchor somewhere (a 4" PVC pipe on a stern sanction is a good idea) and when you get away from traffic and deeper water, go forward and handle the chain in the bow.

This technique will also also help to the extra bottom on the anchor by pulling it up from the back side.

When I need a break from puttling up the anchor or if it is stuck and I need to motor it out, I just wrap the chain around a cleat.
MacGregor 26M

Lynx

sailorbum - I would not recommend the Mississippi River route. 2 reasons, The Great Lakes can get quite bad and you will have to go UP the Tennessee River. The current can be too much and you will have to go down the Mississippi a few more miles to another canal.

The other side has some problems as well.
MacGregor 26M

Shipscarver

!. Anyone know if the, Singlehanded Sailing Society, is alive? The entries all seem to end last summer, and the moderator does not respond.

2. Are there perchance, ideas on the easiest long term, blue warer capable, small cruiser to singlehand.   
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27