Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Singlehanding

Started by oded kishony, January 21, 2006, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oded kishony

Greetings:

I'd like to set up my boat so I can sail her single handed.
What would you consider essential gear to accomplish this,
including issues such as docking?
I don't mean only long distance cruising, but day sailing as well.

Thanks,
Oded Kishony

~~ __/) ~~

Adam

well (in no particular order)

roller furling jib
lazy jack reefing for the main
windvane type self steering or autopilot
safety harness
a nice warm woman

;D

s/v Faith

Quotea nice warm woman

I do not believe that is single handing......

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

;D well- if you are on passage it is - half the time for each  ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

I enjoy single handing and have recommended it to several sailors reluctant to try it.

I don't know that you need a lot of special gear, but I do believe that it takes a little bit different mindset.  For example, you have to plan things way in advance - things take longer to do alone and they do take more planning to accomplish.   As example,  I've been out when single handing and had to reef with a lee shore a little too close for comfort.

As another, you mentioned docking; you have to get things ready way ahead of when you would with crew to tend to fenders, docklines and the like.  The act of docking itself is probably not that different.

I've found heaving-to to be a valuable technique while single handing (and in general).

But I do think single handing is worth it; there are different rewards.

Gear-wise, about the only thing I do different when going out alone is when I wear a PFD and a harness/rig jacklines.  I don't have roller furling and I don't have lazy jacks.  But, then again, I'm sailing a small boat.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

captedteach

I think the biggest thing is having things where you can deal with them from the cockpit - lead all lines aft  is a big plus. On a Catalina 22 I had being able to drop the head sail from the tiller was great - I could just head to wind ease the halyard and sheet home to put tension on the foot of the sail - that 150 Genny would just flake itself on deck.  A few ball bungies or a headsail bag and your done.  I anchor from the cockpit as well, I just take the rode forward , run it thru the chock or in front of a cleat then back to the cockpit.  When I come into where I want to anchor I lose most of my headway and pitch the anchor over the side letting out as much scope as I think I need before tieing off at a midship cleat. Let the boat spin on the hook and back down and you can throw out a stern anchor if you need to like at a crowded beach.    On the CAL 25 things are about the same except I have a Roller for the headsail - I like it better than the halyard run to the cockpit.  The SanJuan 23 I have also has all lines running aft to a control arch thats over the companion way - I have not sailed this one yet but there will be a ton of line hanging down into the cabin - Can you say Racer/Cruiser??

Other essentials - Good music, beer, prepared foods like Clif or powerbars, and if you are off shore - Wasabi, Soy and a sharp fillet knife.  A bottleor two of lemon juice wouldn't hurt either

Hope that helped some
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Pixie Dust

I mostly singlehand or have guests who have never sailed.  They just want to chill and have fun.  I have lazy jacks on the main and put an auto pilot on which has been a God Send.  My main doesn't just drop however,  I do have to go up on deck and assist it down.  It is a little contrary.  All my lines run to the cockpit.  I highly recommend this.  Keep your wenches handy too. 
I don't think I am willing to trade in my roller reefing system either.  It makes life so much easier when singlehanding.
I have an extra mic in the cockpit so I can hear the radio.  My radio is mounted below which makes it difficult when you have to stay at the helm.   Handhelds are nice for this as well. 
I have a bow pulpit with roller.  I have not had any problems setting the anchor alone.  Sometimes I do a little running back and forth to goose up on it with the engine when pulling it.  Being female and petite in stature, I have to occasionally use more than just my brute strength.  :)
Docking is not much different.  I prepare prior to coming in with docklines, fenders etc.  Boathook is great to keep handy.  I just approach slowly and try to get midship lines cleated and take it from there.
I keep a small cooler in the cockpit with snacks and drinks.
If alone, I usually do ( or at least think about it) wear my harness and vest.  If any chop at all, I attach to the jacklines.   ( I know)  I have promised my family I will attach every time.  I have good intentions.   
Singlehanding is not bad at all.  Just think ahead what you are going to do and have a great day with it!   
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

oded kishony

Well thanks for all the good advice. :)
I have hanked on head sails (which I'd like to keep) with the halyard led aft. I've seen folks who rig a downhaul  to lower the head sails but it seems as if that could lead to a messy tangle.
Most everyone seems to employ some sort of auto pilot. Is Autohelm a good choice? I've rigged a tiller lock with some lines but my boat doesn't track very reliable and needs attention to the helm to maintain course.

What's the most diffiult situation you've encountered while alone on the boat?

Oded Kishony

~~  __/) ~~

captedteach

Quote from: oded kishony on January 22, 2006, 03:06:12 PM
~~  __/) ~~

Helping another boat that had capsized - It was just a beachcat but I still had to get the crew out of the water and take the boat in tow as the hulls had filled with water and could not be righted - talk about having a little bit of draft, 20+ft when full turtle
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

CapnK

Quote from: Pixie Dust on January 22, 2006, 02:23:15 PMKeep your wenches handy too.

Um, OK. ;D  ::)

(First, I gotta get me one or two, though!) ;)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

Oded -

I singlehand 99% of the time, and I really don't have anything extra set up to do so. Not saying that I wouldn't like to have many of the customizations listed above, just saying that I haven't had the time to do it all just yet. :)

My point is that just because you don't have special purpose deck gear or rigging installed to do it, doesn't mean you *can't* singlehand. And - just a guess - it may help you to do without at first, so that you can prioritize what you need (unless you can afford to go ahead and install it all at once).

Just some food for thought. :)

-----

Jib downhauls work great.

Re: autopilot: Have you tried a "Cajun Tiller Tamer"? It's a line affixed to either side of the cockpit, and wrapped around the tiller. It works really well, and is basically free. Here's a link which explains/shows it:

http://tinyurl.com/d8xac
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

Quote from: CapnK on January 23, 2006, 09:45:40 PM
Quote from: Pixie Dust on January 22, 2006, 02:23:15 PMKeep your wenches handy too.

Um, OK. ;D  ::)

OOPS - I guess I meant Winch handles!   :P  Sorry for the confusion Capt. K.  That should make it easier for you to find.   ;D

(First, I gotta get me one or two, though!) ;)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CapnK on January 23, 2006, 10:08:30 PM

Re: autopilot: Have you tried a "Cajun Tiller Tamer"? It's a line affixed to either side of the cockpit, and wrapped around the tiller. It works really well, and is basically free. Here's a link which explains/shows it:

http://tinyurl.com/d8xac

Great link; this is basically what I have been doing, but I used a clove hitch around the tiller.  This looks to be MUCH better and easier to adjust.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

John - It is.

You can take it off just by sliding it back, or you can make incremental steering adjustments by twisting the knot around the tiller. In fact, on my old CP23, I used this when motoring on the ICW, and could "fine tune" the steering to the point that she'd motor for a half mile or more without me touching the tiller (so long as I didn't move around much).

Handy. Cheap. Works well. Gotta love it. :D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

I used to do that as well on my Ariel. The cams where in the right position to make it easy. With the Islander I ended up finding a good deal on a commerical version and a couple of extra cams, which have yet to be install.  ( #5 on the list of outside project before the spring sail  ;)
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Team_Turpin

If you have all lines run to the cockpit, can reef from the cockpit and release an anchor from the cockpit, you've got it made.  The only other challenge might be picking up a mooring and that's 90% technique.

starcrest

there is really only one reason why anyone goes out on any boat alone.its because no one else wants to go.I have found that the most important thing needed for single handing is experience.that is something you cannot buy,you cannot loose,you cannot  feel,it is only gained thru the passage of time.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Joe Pyrat

Quote from: oded kishony on January 22, 2006, 03:06:12 PM
Well thanks for all the good advice. :)
I have hanked on head sails (which I'd like to keep) with the halyard led aft. I've seen folks who rig a downhaul  to lower the head sails but it seems as if that could lead to a messy tangle.
Most everyone seems to employ some sort of auto pilot. Is Autohelm a good choice? I've rigged a tiller lock with some lines but my boat doesn't track very reliable and needs attention to the helm to maintain course.

Oded Kishony

~~  __/) ~~

You can keep your hanked on headsail and still be able to control your jib from the cockpit using a jib downhaul. 

Run a 3/16" line from the cockpit through a small snatch block on the bow up the jib stay through the hanks and attach the line to the last or second to last hank on the top of the jib.  You can then pull down the jib from the cockpit and by controlling the jib with the sheet at the same time, you can have it snugged down inside the lifelines. Adding a small cam cleat for the 3/16" line near the cockpit will let you lock the jib in the down position.

This shows the bow detail of the installation.

This is a more complicated version of the same thing.  It does not require controlling the sail with the sheet while dropping it, but chafe is more of a problem.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Zen

Yes, I did that setu with my Ariel. It worked most of the time. From time to time it would bind, but that was only from time to time.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

tigerregis

I do all of the above, although I have furling(godsend). However whether corrected or not, "keeping the wenches " is the best advice. Docking, of course is the biggest problem, and I deploy all docklines and only tie up by the stern. after you're stopped you can usually step off and haul the bow in, unless you are in the Stono or one of those Carolina Rivers that run like a scared cat.