News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Singlehanding

Started by oded kishony, January 21, 2006, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I am not sure if you are in the minority Captain Smollet. And I totally agree with the need to feel comfortable about going forward. I am up to now at least and for the foreseeable future a "hank on" kinda guy.

But as in the case of coming into the slip, I think it mighty convenient to be able to drop a sail quickly.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Well- there are two of us in that minority then. I agree totally. Sooner or later you WILL have to go up front and if you've been doing it, you'll have found the hand holds prior to this trip.

Tried a jib down haul on the last boat. Didn't much care for it. Tehani has it all at the mast.

And we are "hank on" people also.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Charlie...we agree again. Jubilee has a hank on jib with a reef point and a light wieght 150..again hank-on.Anyone who thinks they won't go forward ain't been out there ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Lynx

I did a 160 mile trip from Port Charlotte to Fiesta Key (near Key Largo) in 16 hrs. My boat had so much dried salt on the decks the the people at the KOA was calling it a Margareta boat. Very slippery even to put on the dock lines. I sure do not want to go out there when it is bad unless I have to even if not singlehanding.

I have done both and you need to work out a plan to go forward if you need to, say your prayers.
MacGregor 26M

Auspicious

Count me in. All halyards, topping lifts, reefing lines, and outhaul are at the mast.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Fortis

I like it both ways.

All lines exit the mast at a height that can be usefully worked/pumped at the mast. There are also a couple of apare/emergency cleats at the mast. The ropes then run to blocks on a coronet around the mast base, they are then redirected to the cockpit.

This means that you get lots of options.

When sailed double handed it means that somoen can work the foredeck and not have someone else get int he way to run "the office". It also means that if things are too hairy and busy in the cockpit when a sail change is in the works, it can all be done at the mast, can be secured temporarily until things calm down and can then be unlooped off the temp. cleat and tension taken up by the cockpit clutches again.

the only line that does not come back to the cockpit is the spin pole downhaul....That really only ever needs to be run form the mast (it actually gets irritating running it from the cockpit), since you are right there to do the end-for-end anyway.

For crewing in two or three handed races, having someone up at the mast means you get amazingly clean sail changes with no hangups or pauses.

Also at the mast is a small sharp serrated knife....because some day a Samurai douse is in everyone's future.

Alex.

Shipscarver

<< . . . remain solo? Spend about $5000 on an Ariel or perhaps a Bristol 27 (two of my personal favorites in the mid 20's), double that in new sails and rerigging and odds-n-ends, and you STILL have less than $15,000 in a ocean going boat . . . >> 

Capt Smollett you speak my language.  ::)
Actually, I almost bought a Bristol 35, cheap enough and not too much follow up work and equiping, but worried that it might be more than I wanted to handle, and maintain. I am a solo sailor until the end having been married for 35 years. Can't do it again, I have nothing left to take.  ;D
Thank you all, you great. Love the board!
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Norm

Hi All
I have a few day's leave from my work in the BVI.  Using it to catch up with friends on SailFar... and sit by the fireplace with my very own cubemonkey!

Single-handed boat choices?  I argue that the issue is the sailor not the sailboat.  OK, OK, the boat matters.  In the first single-handed around the world race lots of boats failed.  Much has been learned since 1969 about what it takes to make around the big blue marble in a sailboat.  Also, since 1969 many have started off around the world and never made it very far.  The sailing is too hard.  The way one lives aboard is a huge consideration.

On the "boat question"  I think any of the stable and not-to-slow boats are OK.  The Albergs and such have passed the test of time.  Well rigged and fitted for ocean voyaging: lots of models do the job as voyagers.  Critical quality-of-life issues from my experience:
-a sink that drains on either tack
-a stove located and fitted to work on a windy day and during a choppy sea conditions
-a place to drop/hang my wet gear where it won't make all the other gear wet
-a comfy bed

A great sailing boat that is hellish to live aboard is going to wear out the best of us.  You can't see all those beautiful places if you never get to them.

Single handing vs double handing?  I choose Elizabeth as the most essential ship's gear.  I hope she chooses me for the same role!

Norm
Boston
AVERISERA
Boston, MA
USA 264

AdriftAtSea

Norm-

I doubt that cubemonkey would be proper gear for boats other than yours. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

rtbates

for me the most important thing for single handing is the ability to 'park' the boat by heaving to. I've found it to be the best way to both raise and lower sails when it's really blowing. The bow doesn't need to point into the wind just the main. And it's a great way to get some rest or work on some problem. 
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

captxtina

Nice post.
This past week I did my very first solo cruise. It was short and sweet, with kind weather, which was a nice introduction. I was forced into the option because I had vacation, but my boyfriend didn't, and I certainly wasn't going to let that stop me from heading out. I've read your posts where you mention the benefit of not having to rely on having people to go with. Now that I cruised by myself, and then invited my non-sailing father along for the second leg of the journey, I'm feeling so much more comfortable on the boat. I don't feel like I have to rely on someone else! Of course, it's a bunch more fun with friends (at least for now), but I'm feeling like I can rely on myself a lot more.

One valuable lesson I learned is that Lazy Jacks are essential. I can't see anything when the mainsail hangs below the boom, and my jib foot starts right at the deck, so with both sails either flying or in the process of being hoisted/taken down, I'm a bit blind. I don't like this at all.

I'm haven't yet been out on my own in unpleasant weather. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about getting stuck in a situation. Maybe it's simply about trusting myself -- believing in myself that I can handle the situation.

Anyway, it was nice to read what others have written here on this topic.
I would like to experiment with Norman's suggestion on the layman's auto-pilot. I could have used that when I was putting up docklines and fenders while having skip and hop back to the cockpit every few minutes to avoid the lobster pots.

s/v Maryooch
Pearson 28
New England
New England

Grime

Captxtina,

Have you thought about adding a pennant to your jib to raise it up off the deck? CJ and I made one for our boat and it made a worlds of difference to being able to see forward.

There is a good article in Good Old Boats, Sept 09 issue, about lazy jacks. I've been thinking about doing lazy jacks to our boat.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

captxtina

Grime--
I read that lazy jacks article! Do you need to adjust the line so it doesn't get in the way of the sail shape?
Your suggestion for attaching a "pennant to your jib to raise it up off the deck" is one I'll have to look into -- I'll need to find an illustration.
Thanks!
New England

Grime

I can't say about the sail shape. If it wasn't raining here, much needed, I would go to the boat and raise the jib and take a photo of how my pennant is set up. Maybe someone else can step in an post a photo of theirs for you.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Oldrig

Quote from: captxtina on September 10, 2009, 11:22:20 AM
Do you need to adjust the line so it doesn't get in the way of the sail shape?

Captxtina:

While I don't have lazyjacks on my Cape Dory 25D, they were absolutely necessary when I sailed a catboat.

And yes, I did have to make sure that they were loose enough not to wrinkle the enormous sail. The previous owner of my catboat did not have lazyjacks--and I can't see how he was able to raise or lower his sail without them.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

CharlieJ

We don't use lazy jacks on Tehani. I've never felt the need nor has Laura. She's singlehanded the boat often too.

On the pennant- it's simply a length of line or wire attached to the Jon tack so the sail hoists higher- really a simple thing-you'll love it
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ThistleCap

Tack pennants

All our headsails have always had tack pennants.  One reason is to raise the sail enough so it doesn't chafe on the bow pulpit.  On storm sails, in my opinion, I'd call them essential to get them high enough that green water coming across the deck doesn't hit them.  Solid water going into the sail puts a huge load on them.  Many storm jibs are cut so they have to be high anyhow in order to get the sheeting angle to run correctly.  The two considerations I keep in mind when doing them is:
1) I don't want the pennant longer than necessary to do the job (clear the pulpit and give me good visibility), because raising the sail too much marginally increases heeling moment.
2) Making sure it doesn't mess up the sheeting angle, but as I mention, that's usually only a concern on storm jibs.
I have two pennants.  One for the storm jib, which stays on the jib in its bag, and one for all other headsails.  I use a stainless pin shackle on the bottom, and a snap shackle on the upper end for easier sail changes.  The working jib is also a reefing jib, so when I reef the jib, all I need to do is move the snap shackle from the tack cringle to the reef cringle. 
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

captxtina

Thanks for all of the information about the jib pennant. Regarding whether or not to lazy-jack seems dependent upon the sail and spar configuration for a given boat. My boom is pretty low so what little room I do have to see my surroundings when the sail is hoisted is quicky obscured when the sail comes down. I've been looking at the Good Old Boat illustrations for winter project ideas. :)

Before then, I'm hoping September and October are warm to make up for the rainy June and July. There's lots more sailing in 2009 to be had.
New England

CharlieJ

One thig no one has mentioned on the jib pennant and I only thought of when we hoisted sail this morning. You will most likely need to add a jib Hank right at the top of the pennant where it atta he's to the clew. Otherwise you get a good bit of sag to the Jib luff right at the old tack.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

Being a newbie I love going threw all the old posts on this site! Talk about a wealth of information...
Picking up on an old thread:
Quote from: Norm on February 19, 2008, 08:17:08 AM
On the "boat question"  I think any of the stable and not-to-slow boats are OK.  The Albergs and such have passed the test of time.  Well rigged and fitted for ocean voyaging: lots of models do the job as voyagers.  Critical quality-of-life issues from my experience:
-a sink that drains on either tack
-a stove located and fitted to work on a windy day and during a choppy sea conditions
-a place to drop/hang my wet gear where it won't make all the other gear wet
-a comfy bed

A great sailing boat that is hellish to live aboard is going to wear out the best of us. 
Norm
Boston

How do you all handle your wet gear conveniently?
Is there anything you would like to add to Norms list of "critical quality-of-life issues"?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.