News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

What is the best type of flooring?

Started by skylark, May 21, 2009, 10:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

Which type of flooring do you think is best?

I have carpet over a thick carpet pad, which is quite luxurious and warm, but it collects dirt and bits of this and that.  It is jammed into the cabin floor securely, so it doesn't move at all.  It always needs to be cleaned out and I hate pulling it out and shaking it.  I don't have a vacuum, although previously I had a rechargeable handheld vacuum.  But I didn't like using it.

I also have a boat that I am thinking about putting cork tile in.  This would be on a plywood (MDO) floor.  I have heard some good things, some bad things about cork tile.

I think it is important to have a soft floor that I can kneel down on to search for things in the lockers without damaging my knees. It also has to be skid resistant.  Insulation and warmth is good up here in snow country.

If you  have a favorite type of flooring, how do you keep it clean?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

newt

I just  bought an 37 year old boat that has a teak and holly floor. Still looks new. I would just cover it with a mat that I can go and hose off occasionally. I like those new rubber mats that are really soft, even though they are very expensive.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Gerald A. Gotts

I'm sorry to be slightly off the subject but when it comes to flooring I've got teak and holly? I guess the black stripes are teak? 

Anyway, should I varnish the floor or use teak oil ?  I'm afraid varnish would wear terribly and be slippery.  The floor looks dull right now but in reasonably good shape.

Thanks,
Jerry
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

rtbates

Quote from: Gerald A. Gotts on May 21, 2009, 02:08:55 PM
I'm sorry to be slightly off the subject but when it comes to flooring I've got teak and holly? I guess the black stripes are teak? 

Anyway, should I varnish the floor or use teak oil ?  I'm afraid varnish would wear terribly and be slippery.  The floor looks dull right now but in reasonably good shape.

Thanks,
Jerry

http://216.204.68.29/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=6

Ultimate Sole is what you want for teak & holly
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

Oldrig

I second Randy's recommendation for Ultimate Sole.

As far as I can tell, the cabin sole on my Cape Dory 25D has never been cleaned and was possibly oiled sometime in the past.

It got wet, and part of the thin veneer was coming off, but I decided to rescue it with Ultimate Sole.

It's taken quite a while (using citrus degreaser to remove old oil, cleaning it with special cleaner, sanding it, putting two coats of special sealer on it--and now I have two (of three) coats of the varnish to apply this weekend.

But it already looks great.

This stuff is shiny, but not slippery.

I don't know how they do it, but it's terrific!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

newt

I will try it on my sole, I think before it was just waxed and covered with a rug. Thanks for the ideas.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Gerald A. Gotts

Sorry I didn't respond very quickly I was out of the country (not sailing ).  Thanks for the great advice.  Mine had a little bit of teak oil on it but  hopefully won't be hard to clean up.

Thanks,
Jerry
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

Oldrig

Jerry,

If you want to apply Ultimate Sole, you will have to degrease the cabin sole first, following the detailed directions that come with the product.

My sole had apparently been oiled sometime in the past, so I followed the directions meticulously. The results were dramatic: high gloss, but not slippery.

It was a bit of work, but worth it IMHO.

--Joe

BTW, most teak and holly soles are actually veneer, so be careful not to sand too much.
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627