News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Am I crazy?

Started by Cpt2Be, July 12, 2009, 03:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt2Be

Well, we are not looking for a facsimile of our life on land. Naive I know but the escape idea is what we really want to do but within reason. There will be some need during this time to work so thus some need for a marina. All your advice is helping us immensely with planning our route.

How it's looking so far. Start in Florida onto the Bahamas. As hurricane season approaches, cruise into Caribbean and potentially gunkhole there for hurricane season then onto Puerto Rico and VI for work(so a marina lease here). Were lucky Adina doesn't need a weekly based wardrobe onboard as she wears her uniform that can be kept at the job location.
Apart from a slip lease we can keep our budget very low on cruise 'cause we are not premadonnas (notice the Spaghetti o stain on my shirt).
With our budget we should be able to cruise for a year min. on the cash we have available to start without work then about 6 months of work for every year of cruise.

We know that what we want to do and what we may have to do are part of the art of cruising. Thanks again for all your supportive words and invaluable wisdom.

Greg

Cpt2Be

We just invited everyone we know over and let them walk away with stuff. What we can't get rid of that way we are going to donate.

Wife and I met backpacking and continued to live simply after that so I count it as a blessing that we are not faced with the need to recoup any money.

Of course we don't own anything of intrinsic value to begin with 'cause we are simple people so there was no real benefit in spending the time trying to sell the stuff.

Our photos and documents are being sent to my family and we will have little else than this computer by the end of the month and we are not even leaving till next year. Just work for 9 months but it's so much easier now that we know we are doing this.

Been having problems finding a boat to buy. Started making calls on listings (from sailboatlistings.com and more than a third have been sold a long time ago.) There are listings at yachtworld we are interested in but few in our price range that also meet the requirements. Looking for a broker in S. Fl willing to work hard finding such an innexpensive boat (anybody out there know someone?)

The awesome Ariel is still on the list but it's out in SF and were' not sure if we would buy it and have it transported to Southern Cal and then take her through the Panama Canal to our area of sail 'cause we don't want to pay for shipping to S. FL or if we are going to buy in S. FL.

It's hard buying from Chicago since we will have to have our choices down to a very few to be able to go and visit each of them before purchase.

I've arranged some interviews with jobs in Puerto Rico and the VI and still have my school looking for more and it seems this is getting better though.

9months to go....

Adina

Cpt2Be

Ok so this may be (fingers crossed) a BIG step toward our dream. I found this while perusing through yachtworld today. I called the seller and got a lot of information on it and if all goes well I will be checking the HIN tomorrow and talking with a broker.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978/Cape-Dory-Sloop-2059147/Palm-Coast/FL/United-States

Very well maintained and outfitted with most of what we need less a few odds and ends (according to seller). I requested the broker contact me tomorrow and if all goes well we will have it surveyed and we will pick her up.

We would have to work out something to keep her in the slip and have the seller keep an eye on her 'till we get down there in July of next year but it is such a good deal I have to see if we can indeed make this work.

Wish us luck,
Greg

Amgine

::grin:: There's an excellent Cape Dory community if you do go with the 28. I can't be unbiased about the boat though - I have a Cape Dory 25D.

Cpt2Be

Just keep your fingers crossed for us. It's very well outfitted and an unbeatable deal.

ThistleCap

Dear Greg and Adina,
Concerning your search for work in the VI, our experience while we lived there for two years, confirmed by similar opinions by many we've met, indicated no problem in finding work there.  Such a small percentage of the people on St. Thomas are willing to work, that there is a perpetual labor shortage in the area.  If you are drug-free, dependable, consciencious, and hard working, the word will spread like crazy.  We had people coming to us so frequently trying to enlist us, that I had as many as three jobs at once, and in two years, had only one day off.  The problem, therefore, will not be finding work, but finding time for yourselves.  The people working on St. Thomas that are working often get so overworked, that they begin to develop "island fever" or "rock fever".  A good practice is taking a vacation from paradise a couple weeks a year to return to the mainland and family.
We wish you the best. 
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

Cpt2Be

Quote from: ThistleCap on August 02, 2009, 07:47:41 PM
Dear Greg and Adina,
Concerning your search for work in the VI, our experience while we lived there for two years, confirmed by similar opinions by many we've met, indicated no problem in finding work there.  Such a small percentage of the people on St. Thomas are willing to work, that there is a perpetual labor shortage in the area.  If you are drug-free, dependable, consciencious, and hard working, the word will spread like crazy.  We had people coming to us so frequently trying to enlist us, that I had as many as three jobs at once, and in two years, had only one day off.  The problem, therefore, will not be finding work, but finding time for yourselves.  The people working on St. Thomas that are working often get so overworked, that they begin to develop "island fever" or "rock fever".  A good practice is taking a vacation from paradise a couple weeks a year to return to the mainland and family.
We wish you the best. 

Well, we meet that criteria for sure and it's good to hear this news. Now I just have to figure out how to get some sleep tonight while waiting to see if we are buying the Cape Dory tomorrow.

s/v Faith

Greg,

Looks like a great deal, hope it works out!

Quote from: Cpt2Be on August 02, 2009, 06:26:28 PM
Ok so this may be (fingers crossed) a BIG step toward our dream. I found this while perusing through yachtworld today. I called the seller and got a lot of information on it and if all goes well I will be checking the HIN tomorrow and talking with a broker.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978/Cape-Dory-Sloop-2059147/Palm-Coast/FL/United-States

Very well maintained and outfitted with most of what we need less a few odds and ends (according to seller). I requested the broker contact me tomorrow and if all goes well we will have it surveyed and we will pick her up.

We would have to work out something to keep her in the slip and have the seller keep an eye on her 'till we get down there in July of next year but it is such a good deal I have to see if we can indeed make this work.

Wish us luck,
Greg
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Chattcatdaddy

She looks really good in the pics! Good Luck!
Keith
International Man of Leisure

ThistleCap

Dear Greg,
Just a couple thoughts---I've never seen a boat yet that didn't need work, and especially if you're hoping to take off in a year, it may take months to a year to get her shipshape and Bristol fashion.  To do that work, you may want to get her close at hand and on the hard for the next year so you can work on her while finishing up your final shorebased details.  If indeed you want to leave her for a year in Florida, I'd find a secure yard where she could be hauled and put on the hard with her rig removed.  If well blocked, that gives you the best protection from the storms that may sweep up through Florida this time of year. Also, insurance will be less if hauled, and many insurance companies won't insure in Florida during hurricane season if in the water.  If the marina where she is located is not well protected, you may wish to move her.   
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.

Cpt2Be

Quote from: ThistleCap on August 02, 2009, 11:51:26 PM
Dear Greg,
Just a couple thoughts---I've never seen a boat yet that didn't need work, and especially if you're hoping to take off in a year, it may take months to a year to get her shipshape and Bristol fashion.  To do that work, you may want to get her close at hand and on the hard for the next year so you can work on her while finishing up your final shorebased details.  If indeed you want to leave her for a year in Florida, I'd find a secure yard where she could be hauled and put on the hard with her rig removed.  If well blocked, that gives you the best protection from the storms that may sweep up through Florida this time of year. Also, insurance will be less if hauled, and many insurance companies won't insure in Florida during hurricane season if in the water.  If the marina where she is located is not well protected, you may wish to move her.  

Indeed it needs to be hauled to make a repair he mentioned on the phone and waiting to hear back from him on what exactly it is and when it was last bottom painted. From what I understand it is a secured marina & yard and since we would not be taking delivery until July were trying to negotiate if he can keep an eye on her until then. His wife is a broker at the marina and they have a few boats in slip there. Tentatively and after I get some responses to the questions we have we will have her surveyed and work out something toward hauling and securing her for the hurricane season since we can't break away from Chicago until July possibly Mch if I head down earlier than Adina to take care of shoring her and I up. There are quite a few things we would need for certain that aren't included.

GPS/Charts/Radar (has a VHF that's new and autopilot, don't know about wind vane) since he moved all of his nav to his new boat. :(

Dinghy/outboard for dinghy (way more expensive than I thought)

Solar Panel & Charger (absolutely no idea what I should be looking at so any help here would be awesome) No luxury items aboard just needed for battery charging vs boat electronics amp hours and going to read up on this today but if you can point me in the right direction....

Clothing. Sail related. We have all the wool clothing you could imagine (We live in cold Chicago) but need our wet weather gear...gloves/jackets/pants/shoes

And of course haul out and hard fees until we take delivery.

All things I'm working on now and definitely before we buy but that's about the sum of what I can see anyway that are our associated costs outside of purchase.

I have the nav stuff under controll but any help pointing me in the right direction for a innexpensive/adequette (I know long long discussion here) dinghy and solar charger kits would be helpfull

LooseMoose

If you are interested in a Cape Dory 28 I believe Fenix is for sale in Florida and more than ready to head out again...

http://www.sbastro.com/FeNIX/mainFrameSet.htm

Bob

http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/
http://islandgourmand.blogspot.com/

Cpt2Be

Well, the HIN came back clean which is good news and I am trying to find out what it's going to cost to finish the outfitting right now. It looks like it will still come in on Budget for the boat purchase and remaining outfitting but I have to find some solid figures.

Mostly on a dinghy and the solar panel charger. I pieced together the nav equipment and GPS/Charts/Radar and wind vane shouldn't cost more than $750

so that puts me at $10750.

Dinghy's boy it's a huge market and tough for me to decide whats necessary and whats bloated. Again I am in the dark still on solar panel chargers.

Doing some very rough estimates on the remaining outfitting we would push towards our budget very close.

Looks like we are going to keep looking.

No big deal realy after all this was the first real consideration.

ThistleCap

If I can give you any advice, it would be to slow down.  As I've said before, more money as been wasted and bad purchases made because of media hyp (boat shows, magazine ads and articles, etc.) than any other cause.  I understand the need to support the marine industry, and support the sponsors of magazines, but too many get spoon-fed a bill of goods that they don't need.   I'll admit up front that I'm a very conservative operator, so I don't jump at every flashy ad.  My practice has always been to sail and enjoy the boat and places and allow them and my experience  to dictate the boat's needs and what I buy.  While you're out cruising, sail with other sailors and learn from their experiences in the field rather than promotional material in ads.  Distinguish between what you need versus what you fancy.  It's not just a matter of buying it. Maintenance costs will eat you alive.

Why do you need radar?  If you're sailing near the Arctic or Antarctic ice flows or where you experience a lot of fog and snow, radar helps.  If you're going to be doing a lot of night operation in the oil fields, radar is almost a must.  Otherwise, radar will probably be a waste.  Radar is not a cure-all.  It will not paint well on anything wood, fiberglass, low lying, small, or round.  Most of the reefs you will run onto are too low lying for radar to pick up.  This leaves much of the world for you to run into even if you do have radar.  Radar is a good tool, but wait to see if your operating justifies the expense.   

Cpt2Be

Oh I totally get you and do understand. This particular boat was just a very good opportunity either way we looked at her.

As far as radar goes thanks for that info.

Christopher

Hey Greg,

Really dig your plan.  I only wish my wife shared your thirst for a little adventure and a simple life.  I hope it all comes together for you.

I'm not one for unsolicited advice as I've received my own fair share of it throughout my sailing career, but I can't recommend enough to get out and crew on some distance cruises or races with your wife.  It really gives you a sobering dose of what life aboard a boat is with no speedy way home.  I'm not suggesting that you'll be talked out of sailing or anything, but it sets your expectations and also makes you more aware of what you want in a boat, on your boat, etc... 

I had read every rough weather, and renowned boat handling book there is, and my first time out this year I was pushed into a seawall by a nasty squall that came literally out of nowhere.  I was in a trusty ole Pearson Ensign.  They say full keelers don't make much leeway, and they are bulletproof, but apparently I am not.  I had full sail up, sheets hauled as tight as a colorful metaphor and I got pushed directly sideways into the seawall.  I flat out panicked as I had never been in anything like that.  I shouldn't have tried to beat the squall into the harbor, I should have immediately eased out the mainsheet, or had the balls to jibe her round before she hit but I was terrified and frozen. 

Checked the weather buoys in the harbor later that night - the highest gust registered was 35 knots.  I have been since completely humbled, as to some experienced sailors, 35 knots is "fun sailing" :)

In any case, don't take me for a nay-sayer because what you're doing is awesome. 
1993 Hunter 23.5

Cpt2Be

I take everything at face value and don't read to much into anyhting most certainly not negatively. Your advice that all of you are given I'm sure will either be something I was so very happy I listened to or very angry I did not pay enough attention to but never anything I saw as being nay saying.

Greg

Christopher

I've had at least two trips on a sailboat where I swore I'd never set foot on a sailboat again.  I've always gotten the itch back within a week tho :)

Get out as much as you can though.  Different boats, different skippers.  I've found just going down to the yacht club bar and talking with a few folks will almost always land you on a boat and gets you out in conditions that your average sailing school won't permit.  I had one guy last summer even invite me back after I spent the majority of the race throwing up off the back of his Merit 25.  I'll never buy a flat bottom light displacement little racer....
1993 Hunter 23.5

newt

I would 2nd a vote for Slow down. Also- Don't buy a boat and leave it away from you. You will find lots more wrong with it. You need it next to you so you can work your butt off on it the next 9 months.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Lynx

I agree, Move to Fl and then buy the boat. Boats are for sale all the time and you should be able to find one in a month if oyu know what to look for and how. A lot of elderly have boats that they can nolonger use.
MacGregor 26M