News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Galley set-up

Started by Mario G, July 12, 2009, 07:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario G

The Chrysler C-22  factory galley set-up has the sink stove in a heavy box that slide/stores under the starboard cockpit seat when not in use taking up alot of space...(Ok mine didn't come with one and the chances of finding one are slim at best) ;D

So I'm working on a galley set-up that will fit my needs.  Something that I can remove when I'm day sailing.  plans for a coastal trip is in the works so I will need to work it out soon.

I'm thinking something like this will be great. If i'm going to take up space why not have stove, sink and dry food starage all in a removable box      

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2896752370101866121RuyyTU  and picture after.

Auspicious

The pirate's trunk idea is great - very funny.

Some thoughts:

Solid handles or brackets on the ends could be used to secure the trunk in place on your settee.

A dry sink is a real pain to actually use. A drain plumbed to a spigot on the front of the truck could make the arrangement more convenient. Perhaps a restaurant-style tray (try a Sam's or Costco) and plumbing bits from a hardware store. You could even mount a small water tank in the bottom of the trunk with a small hand pump. Provide a means of draining the tank to reduce weight while moving the trunk around.

Consider mounting the sink and the cooker so the tops are at the same height. This would allow you to mount a hinged cutting board in the top of the trunk that could fold down over the sink and cooker to provide prep space.

Perhaps you can incorporate storage for a couple of good knives, a spatula, and some cooking tongs in the lid. Limited cookware could be stored under the cooker.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Amgine

If you don't mind a curmudgeon's perspective, what you're talking about is a cooler, a single burner butane portable, and a dishpan.

In my skipper 21 (18' boat) that's about all I really had room for. I bought a large collapsible bucket at REI, a very simple burner, a couple collapsible jerry jugs for water, and a cooler bag. I lived as long as a month on that boat at a time. The hardest thing to learn (and I still haven't) is not to stock up on food because there are always grocers whereever I sail. The simpler the system, the less it costs.

I got pretty tired of washing dishes in the cockpit, but I get pretty tired of washing them in the sink too. Setting up and putting away the stove was annoying too. A fellow skipper owner attached his butane stove to the bottom of a locker cover, and only needed to flip it over to have his stove ready or stowed, but I never got 'round to that. The rest was very convenient; if I emptied the cooler bag completely before going to the store, it doubled as my grocery bag.

CharlieJ

Amgine - I agree. I see no need for built in stuff on a small boat. A dish pan, with a single burner stove stowed inside it, and an ice chest will do great.You can even learn to do without the ice chest. We use ours only for cooling drinks. We NEVER carry any food that requires refrigeration, even on prolonged trips.

And doing dishes in the cockpit keeps the mess out of the inside and usually is cooler. Even on our 25 footer, I have the sink so it lifts out to empty ( no through hull) and we can do dishes outside. Our stove will come out to the cockpit also should we desire to do that.

I don't know how easy this will be to read, but here's a quite interesting idea from an OLD Small Boat Journal-
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Mario G

It is a wet sink, I just have to incorporate a intermediate shelf that the sink can stay mounted with faucet .  The plans are to have room in top area for plates and flatwear and 3 to 4 days of food under stove. I need to  store alot of pop-tarts for the wife there,( she could live on them. ;D)  I do like the cutting board idea, and even its own water tank.

For the most part it has to be removeable and not weigh as much as stock unit.

the plan was to build a cabinet from real wood that looked like original but thought this was a better idea. 

Auspicious

I would tend to keep food storage separate from the trunk. You'll probably want pop-tarts even when the trunk is offloaded for daysails and such.

A case of pop-tarts could be heavy.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.