Considering Moving to New England Area

Started by Christopher, July 14, 2009, 04:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

I apologize if this is too far off topic, but I know there are a number of members from the New England area on this site.  The wife and I have been playing around with the idea of moving to the East Coast.  The south does not really appeal to us much, but the Northeast seaboard seems to be of interest to both my wife and I.  I've spent some time in Mass and CT but we are thinking of making an exploratory trip out there to seek out some places.  Any of you have any recommendations?  We are thinking New Hampshire, and Maine but have heard that Maine can get pretty cold.  We both want seasons and snow, but aren't seeking the harsh winters we already endure in Wisconsin.  We are looking for small town feel with enough commerce to find work.  Good schools, low crime, scenic, and of course, I'd like to be within an hour of a good anchorage.

1993 Hunter 23.5

AdriftAtSea

Maine might be a bit too cold come winter time.  Southern Massachusetts and Rhode Island are excellent choices, and Buzzards Bay is one of the best cruising grounds on the east coast.  It usually has decent wind and a lot of places to explore, from the Elizabeth Islands, including Cuttyhunk—where I was yesterday and this morning—Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, and Nantucket are also fairly close by, as is Block Island, Newport and Narragansett Bay.  You can take the Cape Cod Canal up to Cape Cod Bay and explore the inner side of the Cape, Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay, as well as Cape Ann, Isle of Shoals and Maine's coast for slightly longer cruises. :)

It would help if you said what kind of work you do, since some areas will be more likely to have jobs for you.

Dan
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Personally I don't find that post at all off topic- makes a good use of the forum actually.

However, I still for the life of me cannot understand why people would WANT to live where it snowed or got cold enough to snow.

Snow sux. Cold does too.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Christopher

It's possible that my company will let me relocate and work from home.  Others have done it and been successful.  I am a computer programmer, specifically surrounding web/eCommerce technologies.

My wife is comfortable and will be seeking the suburban lifestyle.  She wants to be close to the freeway, close to the shopping centers, (Macy's to be specific), and wants a somewhat modern home.  We live in that exact scenario here in Milwaukee, but there is a pretty high level of crime and violence here.  A lot of the youth culture here is centered around negative attitudes and behaviors and we want to raise our kids somewhere a little more positive and where they are less likely to get caught up in some of the more extreme bad stuff.  Kids are going to get into trouble regardless, but there seems to be a lot more opportunity here to take it to the next level.

We're hoping to make a short-list of places to see and make a trip sometime during the autumn.  If Maine and NH are out, which by the looks of the weather almanacs they are weather-wise, I was looking at Salem, Mass, Providence/Warwick, RI... 

I've heard much about Buzzard's Bay.  It seems a popular sailing area.  She's not dying to be on the coast, but I've jumped at the opportunity as I have plans for an Atlantic crossing once I get some more offshore experience and a suitable boat.  So I'm forcing the coast issue pretty hard.  Who knows if it will actually happen as she is very tight with her family here.  Her curiosity and searches are promising though!

Any towns you guys could recommend specifically?
1993 Hunter 23.5

nowell

Consider somewhere along the Chesapeake also. I lived and worked in Northern VA, and had a boat down on the Potomac River. Big city life, lots of work in the tri-state area. Mostly mild winters (you get a week or two where it can be pretty crazy but on average its mild), some great living area if you don't mind the commute. So many beautiful places for gunkholing also.You can spend years exploring the bay and still find something new.
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Oldrig

Chris:

Here's another sales pitch from a confirmed Yankee. New England has a lot to offer a sailor, and a would-be suburbanite, too.

Like Dan, I sail out of Buzzards Bay (and have done so for 50 years--because I started sailing at age 11). And I would second his recommendation of Rhode Island, southern Massachusetts and the Islands as wonderful places to visit for short cruises. You'd also have access, via the Cape Cod Canal, to the towns of Cape Cod and Massachusetts Bays, Cape Ann and, ultimately to the fantastic coast of Maine.

Maine's coast offers probably the most beautiful (IMHO) and challenging (fog, lobster-trap buoys, a short season, rocks and swift currents) cruising anywhere. And, in terms of places to live, Portland is one of the most pleasant small cities I know of. Portsmouth, NH, is also a pleasant, manageable city with most of the so-called "suburban" amenities.

As for the winters, coastal Maine doesn't have anything approaching the climate of Wisconsin. I lived for nearly a decade in far northern New Hampshire and central Maine, where we would get two-week stretches of nights at 30-below, but those kinds of conditions almost never apply to the coastal regions from Portland west to Portsmouth, NH.

Salem, MA, also provides some interesting possibilities. It's a historic port city that became an industrial community. There are some lovely, historic homes that are available there. (Older homes might not interest your wife, so forget that last point.)

Still, be advised that living costs here in Massachusetts are higher than almost anywhere in the country, except San Francisco and Alaska.

As for Rhode Island: Parts are very scenic, and sailing and cruising there is terrific. However, the state has the third-highest unemployment rate in the country (behind Michigan and South Carolina). Even during the housing boom, average home prices in Rhode Island were declining. This could provide some nice opportunities for finding a housing bargain. (Of course. I would guess that houses in lovely coastal towns like Bristol, Wickford and Newport, as well as homes on Providence's East Side were increasing in value.)

In all of the above cases, there's also the advantage of nearby universities and cultural centers and the opportunity of enjoying (or suffering through) changing seasons.

But enough of the sales pitch! The Chesapeake area is awfully nice, too--and you've got a much longer sailing season. However, I still remember crewing as a college student for a Baltimore doctor who kept a summer home on Buzzards Bay because he said it was simply too hot--and calm--to sail on the Chesapeake during the summer.

Whatever you decide, keep us posted. If you do settle in Yankeeland, maybe we can get together.

Best of luck,

--Joe
P.S. Maybe I should try for a job with the regional Chamber of Commerce!
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

AdriftAtSea

A few towns to consider are Fairhaven and Dartmouth, Massachusetts, which are both on the shores of Buzzards Bay, and have relatively reasonable housing prices at the moment.  There are some towns up on Cape Ann, where Salem, Gloucester, Rockport and Essex, are located, that also might be decent choices. 

Be aware that in much of New England, which is considerably more built up and older than other parts of the country, some of the housing choices will be limited to older construction. 

One caution with sailing Buzzards Bay, like much of the New England coastline, the shore can be rather unforgiving, being made of granite, rather than having the sand or mud you might find in other areas.  However, unlike much of the Chesapeake, which is really landlocked, most of the New England waters have fairly decent winds...

Even Connecticut can have some good choices, but the sailing on Long Island Sound leaves a bit to be desired.  My friends who are based on it call it the "Dead Sea" for a reason.

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

ThistleCap

Dear Chris,
I love New England and have sailed thousands of miles up there, but would pass on living there---too expensive, too many people, taxes too high, winter too long, too cold, too many restrictions, but this is all just personal opinion.  If I were in your shoes and the search for work permitted, I'd echo the vote for Chesapeake Virginia or North Carolina.  They offer some of the greatest sailing on the Atlantic coast, have many small, friendly communities, an easier way of life, are temporate with winter and summer being bearable (and the mountains are nearby if it gets too hot), and the fall season is beautiful.  There are several progressive commercial areas, and some very good schools.  The only fly in the ointment is the chance of an occasional hurricane sliding up the coast, but if you're above storm surge level and have a good place to haul the boat, you're all set.  Some of the  members currently living in that area may have more specific advice, but it's a great area to research.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

nowell

Man, ThistleCap has me day dreaming again. I can remember those early fall mornings when your wrapped up to the morning cold. Have coffee going, sitting in the cockpit watching the sun come up and the birds on the water. The beauty of the Chesapeake is bar none.

I personally never found the wind that bad. Granted I was sailing a Catalina 22. I found ducking the storms more of a challenge than anything else. There can be some pretty good ones that rip through that catch alot of people unaware. Especially if your in the east/south east. Most people think that with the bay being mostly protected, its mild. Definitely not the case!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Christopher

Quote from: Oldrig on July 15, 2009, 09:25:37 AM
As for the winters, coastal Maine doesn't have anything approaching the climate of Wisconsin. I lived for nearly a decade in far northern New Hampshire and central Maine, where we would get two-week stretches of nights at 30-below, but those kinds of conditions almost never apply to the coastal regions from Portland west to Portsmouth, NH.

How long is the sailing season say in Portland, Maine?  In Milwaukee, I typically see boats going in around May 15th, and most are pulled out by mid September.  That gives us 4 months of sailing of which only 3 are particularly comfortable temperature-wise. 

I grew up in northern Wisconsin where I can say the winters are even worse than here in Milwaukee.

It seems that jobs are fewer, houses more expensive and houses older in the Mass area.  I've been attracted thus far to Portland and Portsmouth.  I've not been there though.  I spent some time in Boston, Framingham, Hartford, and Mystic, but my wife and I are planning a trip to get up a little further and check things out. 

Let's say I was to look at Portland or Portsmouth, or even Providence, RI area.  Could I expect to find a home built within the last 20 years with 3 br, 2 bath, 2 car garage for $280,000 or less and be within an hour of where I drop my boat in?

Thanks to all of you for your information and opinions.  It's fantastic having such inside resources on the areas we are investigating.
1993 Hunter 23.5

Oldrig

Chris,

Quote from: mkeChris on July 16, 2009, 10:47:48 AM
In Milwaukee, I typically see boats going in around May 15th, and most are pulled out by mid September.  That gives us 4 months of sailing of which only 3 are particularly comfortable temperature-wise.

Perhaps we have some Maineacs on the board who can answer better than I can, but when I lived in Maine, I would sail with friends (didn't have my own boat) from late May through mid-October. The fall sailing was glorious, so long as you dressed for it.

Since I've lived in the same house in Massachusetts for 26 years, I can't answer your query about housing prices. If you're looking in most urban areas, however, you might want to forget about the two-car garage.

Hope this helps a bit.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Soundbounder

Another area to consider is the Mystic CT region.

There is good sailing, some nice towns etc.
Homes along the coastal areas are expensive but New London is reasonable and the towns a few miles inland are reasonable as well.

Christopher

I visited Mystic about 6 or 7 years ago.  It had a very old time feel to it.  It was sort of enchanting.  We visited the old Mystic Seaport, the whaling station and toured the old whalers.  Really a cool trip...

Not sure about jobs in that area... what's the closest big city?  Hartford?
1993 Hunter 23.5

Soundbounder

Hartford, New Haven, Worcester, and Providence would be the closest cities.
Not exactly commuting distances.

psyche

We have everything you mentioned and year round sailing in coastal Georgia. We even have a Macys in Savannah which is about 18 miles north of me. I live on the Ogeechee River in Richmond Hill where it is peacefu and quiet. Very little and mostly minor crime. You can anchor your boat (Or putin a mooring ball) near my dock as 3 other individuals do and have zero docking fee. Dan

Gerald A. Gotts

Man, Coastal Georgia  is  one of my favorites.  Savannah is a cool city too.  I wanted to tell you that I have a very good friend who just moved from my home town of Mackinaw City , Mi. to Providence and they bought a 3 bdrm., 2 bath 1car garage ranch home with a carriage barn with an unfinished apt. above for $ 245,000.00.  It is a beautiful home with an excellent view.  It is very near the hospital he works at and He is  in love with the area.  I called him and told him about you and He said you shouldn't  hace any problem  finding a computer programming job.

I do love Georgia though !!!!

Good Luck.....
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

Bill NH

Quote from: ThistleCap on July 15, 2009, 05:54:58 PM
New England... too expensive, too many people, taxes too high

Not my part of New England...

New Hampshire has no income tax, no sales tax, and my property taxes on a few acres and a modest house just hit $1500.  My town has 3000 year-round residents, 70 miles of lakefront (ever see the movie "On Golden Pond"?), and is 50 minutes from Portsmouth, 75 minutes from Portland, Maine and two hours from Boston.  My kids' school has an average class size about 15, I leave the keys in the car all the time and would be hard pressed to even find a key to our house.  We moved up here for quality of life reasons and still love it.

I'd highly recommend the Portsmouth, NH area as it has the urban/suburban conveniences you're looking for as well...
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

s/v Faith

Quote from: mkeChris on July 14, 2009, 04:09:52 PM....the Northeast seaboard seems to be of interest to both my wife and I.  I've spent some time in Mass and CT....

I am not an expert but....

Doesn't it get COLD there?  I understand WATER gets hard there (like the ice in tea).  It even falls from the sky like dust when it rains.. or so I read somewhere....

Are you aware of this?

;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Christopher

We read really good things about Portsmouth.  I think we are going to make a trip out that way in the spring.

If there is anything we are accustomed to, it's snow.  I would imagine that it's got to be at least slightly warmer than Wisconsin.  I believe most of the country save for one or two states is slightly warmer than Wisconsin.  We have about 2 quality months of sailing with respect to temperature, and it's still really cold on the water at night.  There are two variable months where sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's colder than heck.  We hit 30 degrees at night already here...  lovely....  High taxes, crappy schools, HIGH crime, traffic.. ugghhh
1993 Hunter 23.5

s/v Faith

Quote from: mkeChris on August 31, 2009, 10:30:53 PM
We read really good things about Portsmouth.  I think we are going to make a trip out that way in the spring.

If there is anything we are accustomed to, it's snow.  I would imagine that it's got to be at least slightly warmer than Wisconsin.  I believe most of the country save for one or two states is slightly warmer than Wisconsin.  We have about 2 quality months of sailing with respect to temperature, and it's still really cold on the water at night.  There are two variable months where sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's colder than heck.  We hit 30 degrees at night already here...  lovely....  High taxes, crappy schools, HIGH crime, traffic.. ugghhh

Chris,

I am thinking that a position with the Wisconsin tourism bureau is probably not in your future...  :)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.