News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Moosehead Lake cruise

Started by Frank, July 19, 2009, 09:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Just back from a week in Moosehead Lake in northern Maine.  Simply put...beautiful ! 78500 acres of bays and islands surrounded by mountains. I thought we had a lot of loons here at home...wow, at Moosehead they call steady. The little hamlet of Greenville at the S end of the lake has a few eateries,suppliers,a mariners museum and dockage within an easy walk to it all. The people were very friendly to boot. Its on the "return to" list
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Kinda felt a bit "west coast"

Frank

Frank

Little boats are 'funner'...and take you farther on their trailers

Frank

This ole girl has plied the lakes waters for nearly 100 years. Gotta love a power boat with a "soul"

Frank

H. D. Thoreau toured these waters twice in the mid 1800's

Frank

I love these stores. Work boots, 10W30, bread,lamp oil, milk-cheese,sweaters,tools to soup...all in one small store

Frank

This is Rick rafted up with his M15.It's our 6th time meeting in a new erea to cruise. The anchorages were great in the little bays.

Frank

Inflatable Kayaks are great on small boats.You get exersize and into these types of shallow pleasures

Frank

Frank

We launched at the public ramp further up the NW side of the lake.Well kept and great parking.

Tim

Thanks for sharing Frank.

I don't know when if ever I will get over to the east coast, I still have a lot of the west coast to explore.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

Beauty, Frank!

What were the winds like? Consistent all day, or come-n-go? How far did y'all travel?

I love those kinds of stores. One of everything (but just 1!). ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

nowell

Beautiful, and so is your boat! Those pictures were a great way to kill the Monday blues! Thanks so much!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Frank

Capt K....the winds varied.We sailed every day but one.One day we averaged over 5 kts with these lil guys...quite a ride. It turned out that the lake was a 8 1/2 hr drive for each of us.Rick from NY and me from Ontario. I had the wrong fishing gear.It is a trout lake and you need to get 'down' to them. Steel line or down riggers would work. Didn't matter...the scenery was well worth it. The border crossing was pleasant both ways in this remote erea.Some of the busier ones I've crossed lately are a pain...long waits and severe attitude on both sides. This would be a great spot for taking kids along.Lots of hiking,fishing and kayaking ereas.No night life other than a bar in greenville...but I'm not a bar person (unless in the company of Capt K) :o

Amgine

Frank, it looks stunning! How was the ramp? My boat's trailerable, and it's on the short list of "save up to buy for the boat" list. Mind, my boat's big enough to make trailering possible but not easy so I'd love to hear there's a travel-lift...

Someday we should start a thread about freshwater destinations for trailerables. The problem is I'm from Minnesota, and there's about 500 decent sailing lakes....

Frank

Nice safe ramp...fairly deep....no travel lift.Think mainly fishing boats and ya get the idea.There are SO many nice lakes out there. Moosehead is a great one and at over 78000 acres...a big one.