-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The Inflateable Dingy thread.

Started by Captain Smollett, August 28, 2006, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

For the price you can probably get a pretty decent Hypalon dinghy, with more cargo capacity, and probably greater durability.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lynx

True, but some people are looking for a dink that is small and easy to take out from below. This one is light and requires little space. It might be ideal for somebody who wants to go a long way without needing a Dink.
MacGregor 26M

CharlieJ

The problem is FINDING a really small inflatable that's made with Hypalon. Most if not all of the smaller, lighter ones use PVC.

Laura and I have been looking for something small to use on Tehani. We would really prefer Hypalon for the life span, but can't find a small ( 6'6-7 ') dinghy that uses Hypalon.

I was on the phone for about an hour the other day with Stephan Lance ( runs Defender) about this very subject, and we have pretty much concluded that in the size and weight range we want, it's gonna HAVE to be a PVC dinghy.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

David_Old_Jersey

Avon Redstart 8 foot and 41lbs / 19Kg. Hypalon. Helluva lot easier to carry and move around than the 9 foot version (Redcrest) - I've used both. Not cheap new though - but Avon's really last.

http://www.ibsmarine.co.uk/buy-a-boat/avon-inflatables/Avon-Redstart-Inflatable-_exd.asp?plid=638&_ctrl=S&SearchText=Avon

And this month yer get a free mermaid  :P

Godot

I've never seen the alpacka before, but I'm now interested.  For a single hander with serious space limitations that might be a very reasonable alternative.  If it is back packable, almost certainly space can be found for it.  Then you can take it with you on shore so it doesn't get stolen!  Brilliant!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

polecat

Has anyone seen or tried the $200 mini dinghy that West Marine sells? 
jim

Oldrig

Hey PoleCat:

Yes, I bought a West Marine mini-dinghy at a boat show a few years ago.

It's really a PVC el-cheapo water toy with a fairly sturdy nylon envelope that should protect it from UV degradation (at least more than without it).

The most important thing about this little boat is BE SURE TO READ THE DIRECTIONS WHEN INFLATING IT.

I brought mine home when I first bought it (in February, at a boat show), and carefully inflated it in the living room. Then I folded it back into its bag and put it away.

The following summer, when I wanted to take it on a cruise, I just blew it up (without carefully reading the instructions). I popped a seam.

Eventually my wife was able to repair it (we needed more glue than what came in the repair kit--just buy contact cement at a hardware store).

I'll probably use mine again--it's easy to store it partially inflated on the side deck, inboard of the shrouds, where it is fully covered by the nylon shell. But if I had it to do over again, I probably would not buy it.

Hope this helps,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

rtbates

Amassing boat all, especially the Alpacka Dory. White water rugged and it only weighs 5lb 8oz, 10lb with all the gear!! The lightest traditional inflatable weighs 40lb and I doubt they are all that rugged. I'm very intrigued. Thanks for posting..
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

Polunu

Looking to retire my old dink for a shinny new inflatable.
loa 8' or less, not 8'6"that is too big, hypalon material.
so what do you have, what are the good points or bad points?
wood floor or air?
ribs are too big, too heavy, and no matter how strong you are ya just can't roll them up and put in a locker ;D
The world may not be fair, but life is what you make of it. ;D

Rick Westlake

I finally made myself an opportunity to try out the Saturn KaBoat I bought in February.  It's pretty decent, but its bench seats leave me sitting "too tall" for easy rowing or kayak-paddling.

The KaBoat looks like a regular inflatable dinghy that's been stretched fore-and-aft and squeezed athwarts; it's a bit over 12 feet long with a 3 1/2 foot beam.  It's placarded for a total of 200 kg of "people and stuff" but I believe it could handle more.  The PVC-fabric hull itself weighs about 35 lbs, with maybe 10-15 pounds more in the high-pressure inflatable floor, aluminum thwart-seats (that slide into "belt-loop" pouches atop the hull tubes), oars, carrying case, and a cheap hand pump.  But the price is pretty good, at $500 plus $50 shipping.

My one gripe is with the top-of-tube thwarts.  They're high enough, and the rowlocks are low enough, that I couldn't row easily without either "catching a crab" on the back-stroke or catching the oar-looms in my pockets! :-[  And the boat is high enough and wide enough that I'd need a very long kayak paddle to be effective.

I was surprised to find out that she tracked really well for rowing, and it all worked even better if I faced forward and rowed from the aft bench seat.  She's also quite stable, even if I didn't try standing up while out on the water.

Now for a caveat - I took my "maiden voyage" on the C&O Canal, up between Pennyfield Lock and Violets Lock if you're familiar with the area upstream of Great Falls, MD.  The biggest waves were from my oars and the wake I was leaving ... I wish I'd taken a GPS to see how fast I was moving her!  ;D

I might have done as well, or better, if I'd gone ahead and bought a Sevylor "river kayak".  Certainly that would have met my expectations better.  But the KaBoat is pretty decent, and I've kept her too long to return her, anyways.

CaptMac

I was looking on-line at the saturn SD260 and would like to know how you would rate the quality of the saturn's.
The price looks good but how do you think they will hold upin the long run, anybody out there have time with them?
Thanks
Jay
Seafarer 26

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CaptMac on May 24, 2009, 02:19:40 PM
I was looking on-line at the saturn SD260 and would like to know how you would rate the quality of the saturn's.
The price looks good but how do you think they will hold upin the long run, anybody out there have time with them?
Thanks
Jay

I've had a Saturn SD 290 for about two years and really like it.  I've posted about different details in various threads on this site.

It's a good work boat and serves quite well as a dink for the four of us.  We can all four  be aboard with a fair amount of gear as well.  Runs about 5-5.5 kts with all four aboard powered by a 2.5 HP outboard.  I've gone on 'pleasure rows' of two+ hours with the children and gear.

I think for the price, it's a good boat.  YMMV.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

winkali

Just wondering folks what is considered the better for an inflatable Welded or glued seems. I seem to be getting different stories from the sales guys.
George ::)

CharlieJ

More important than seam construction is material. We insisted on Hypalon for longevity. We bought an Achilles BECAUSE it was Hypalon. I have a 12 foot Achilles I bought in 1980 and it's still holding fine at the sseams. It does. Have one very very slow leak in one tube  but hey, it IS 29 years old!! Idoubt a PVC dink would even still be alive. They seem to expect them to die in 5--6 years.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Allan

Sounds like a leak on the transom somewhere if it only leaks with weight in it

Allan
Macgregor 26X "MacSea"
Tingoora, Queensland, Australia