News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

GPS question

Started by Frank, July 30, 2009, 05:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

They have Garmin 76's on for $159 here. I've never had a handheld with the little screen (techno phobe) I understand they have some basic maps as delivered and you can download more. My question is "what would be the best handheld figuring in $$ and features with intention of the Bahamas/Caribbean ?"....remembering I'm not a techie and how hard are they to download more info?
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

Quote from: Frank on July 30, 2009, 05:41:40 PM
They have Garmin 76's on for $159 here. I've never had a handheld with the little screen (techno phobe) I understand they have some basic maps as delivered and you can download more. My question is "what would be the best handheld figuring in $$ and features with intention of the Bahamas/Caribbean ?"....remembering I'm not a techie and how hard are they to download more info?

Frank,

The 76 is just a 72 with a slightly better display (maybe other meaningless features).  I have one as a backup for my Magellan Meridian Marine.  Best use is keeping track of speed / distance and plotting coordinates on a real chart (IMHO)

I can not imagine trying to navigate by the little screen, other then maybe steering to a waypoint.  I understand some of the more modern ones (colorado?) come with the waypoints in their programing... don't know how much I would trust them though.

Maybe I am not the best person to answer since I really don't trust them all that much anyway (although I do use mine).  I will say that if you are looking to step up to a graphic display GPS the 72/76 or even the variations of the 76 MAP are probably not the steps I would look at.

JMHO
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

I wasn't really thinking...just seemed for $159 it was a great buy and I wouldn't mind a backup anyhoot. Just not sure of their capabilities or what you could put on them. I didn't even use my CP152 plotter when I had it....still like lookin at a chart. Guess I'm an ole fart. Maybe I'll just stick to the way things are now.

CharlieJ

We have both- a 76 and a 72. Same thing, even to the manuals being quite alike.The 76 has a TAD higher resolution. If I were gonna purchase either, I'd go for the 72, which retails at close to $100.

We like them both,use them for way points and routes, boat speed and etas. We chart on paper though, or on the lap top with either GPS hooked in so waypoints can be downloaded from the computer. That also allows either unit to function as a chart plotter.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

I have had a 76map for a few years now and am quite satisfied with it. I typically use it to steer to a heading, but have the maps for the "inside Passage" where I have used it most.

Even though I have not bothered to (read too cheap) update them, I have found the maps to be accurate and with plenty of detail.

Of course I have a full set of charts for any area and use them as my primary navigation tool I have considered a larger plotter for the Ariel, but only if I get a radar setup.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

CJ.....the $159 is in Canada and thats a big discount off retail here.The store is just up the street too, so no shipping. Even basic GPS is $119. Tim, have you ever checked into how much $$ or how difficult it is to get better info downloaded for specific ereas?  I guess my biggest question is really wether the info on the lttle screen is worth it?  Thanks for the responces to now. Apprec. it.

Frank

Been doing some searchs...seems that there is a multitude of products available. ei: all the lakes in Ontario or Florida and upper Bahamas etc. Seems a neat little package.

Tim

Frank, you may have found this out by now, but additional unlock codes (for the detailed data) runs about $100 although WM has them at the moment on sale (clearance for the CD version like mine.)

It is considerably cheaper (like in free) to use software on a computer with a GPS antenna, but then your talking about more "stuff" on the boat.

Is the one your looking at a 76Map or just a 76 ? which will not do maps.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

I'm now guessing you aren't talking about a plain Garmin 76? But instead  some sort of mapping unit?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Be aware that there is a significant difference between the GPS76 and the GPSMap 76/76C/76CSx.  The first is a basic GPS without much in the way of additional capabilities, the latter are handheld chartplotters with map loading capabilities, especially in the case of the 76Cx/CSx which have a microSD card slot for storing maps.

In order of increasing capabilities, the units are:

GPS76—basic GPS, no charting capabilities

GPSMap 76—Black & White with basic chartplotter capabilities
GPSMap 76C—Color with basic chartplotter capabilities—replaced by model GPSMap 76Cx
GPSMap 76S—Black & White with basic chartplotter capabilities, fluxgate compass and altimeter/barometer
GPSMap 76CS—Color with basic chartplotter capabilities, fluxgate compass and altimeter/barometer—replaced by model GPSMap 76CSx

GPSMap 76Cx—Color with basic chartplotter capabilities and microSD card slot
GPSMap 76CSx—Color with basic chartplotter capabilities, fluxgate compass and altimeter/barometer and microSD cardslot

The basic GPS 76 can not load maps and does not have map display capabilities, and at $159 would be a fairly expensive product, as its MSRP was $179 and it has since been discontinued. 

The GPSMap 76 has a retail price of about $200 and eCost has it for $115 US
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Oldrig

Hi all,

I just returned from a week's cruise  (well, we spent two nights at one location, but were gone for six days).

My primary GPS unit is a GPSMap 76 (black-and-white screen, charts loadable from a Garmin CD), and my backup is an older and even more primitive GPS 76 (Navaids but no chart capability).

In addition, I have an older Maptech product, Offshore Navigator, that I keep on my home desktop computer, along with the Garmin master software.

Before my trip, from upper Buzzards Bay to Jamestown and then Wickford, RI, I plotted all my waypoints and loaded them into both computers. I never had to resort to the backup for this trip, but that little GPSmap 76, wired into my boat's batteries, was just about spot-on, and proved to be a great help in fog.

Of course, I also carried my waterproof Chartbooks for the trip, and followed my progress with the chart. But these little Garmin handhelds are pretty capable and come close to the KISS principle embodied by this board. (Although, strictly speaking, I should have been relying only on chart, compass and log.)

One caveat, as I think Dan has pointed out in an earlier thread: Garmin did not update the software for these basic units to account for newer satellites. This means that you have to disable the WAAS feature, which does reduce the pinpoint accuracy of these little handhelds. Also, the black-and-white screen for the GPSmap 76 can be a bit hard to read, especially in bright sun. The color version is considerably more expensive and didn't exist when I got my GPS.

Still, for small-boat sailing and backup navigation, I'd definitely say I was completely satisfied with the GPSmap 76.

--Joe

Truth be told, I've been coveting a real chartplotter for several years. However, a recent repair to my diesel set me back almost $1,200, and I've lost my full-time job. So the handheld will have to suffice for now.
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Frank

After review of all this info...I'm sticking to my cheapy basic gps and my charts.I know that in the end....I'll have them out on the bridgedeck anyhoot.

Lynx

The Gramin 76's are nice if you are staying on one area. Changing areas at $ 100 per you can easily get a Gramin 440 with all the maps cheeper than all buying the maps from Canada to Bahamas. I have both.
MacGregor 26M