Time stolen.... No, make that time Granted.

Started by s/v Faith, August 12, 2009, 10:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Have had a couple of really nice sails this week so far.  Both were 'stolen' time.

Yesterday, I took a few friends out for their first ever sail.  It was after they got off of work the kind of event you are supposed to wait for that weekend that never comes. The sail was only about an hour and half, mostly just talking about the basics of what makes the boat move.  Had a few minutes of just ghosting along and enjoying to sound of the water and the boat..... they are hooked.    :)

Today I took a friend and his parents out for a few hours.  They are visiting from out of town, and we had wanted to get them out on the water to see the better view of Pensacola.... from the water.

The forecast said 70% chance of a miserable time.  We decided to try it anyway.  We said a prayer and set out.  Underway at 9am, it was blue skys and light winds.  Went over the basics, gave the tour of the shore line from the bay.... everyone got to sail for a bit, learn the magic of the wind and water and we tied up the lines 2 and a half hours later... just as the rain started.   ;)   In the time it took to put the sail cover on and clean up the boat the rain was coming in sheets and the wind was howling....

;D

I started this post with the title 'time stolen' but maybe 'time granted' is a better title.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

jotruk

any time that yoo can get out sailing is time well spent. sounds like a great time
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

newt

I swiped a few hours with my son this week- absolutely magical.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Auspicious

I'm going sailing with a friend this weekend.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Mario G

Just got back from 3 days on the water. After 6 months of playing with a boat thats been out of the water 15+ years , I figured to sail it for 3 days and nights.  Loved every minute , the wife enjoyed also.  I will do as many over nights as I can before long trips.

So far it seems easy enough to live on a 22 footer, most of the time was spent in cock pit talking and reading. It slept great, I handled it for three long days and even a night sail and feel great.  I even paddled it do to the engines have not shown up yet.

I'm really liking this.

Still talking the wife about  a C-26   but will do fine until the right one comes along.

ThistleCap

Mario, the only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither's of much worth without the other.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

John Turpin

I intentionally dodged a two-hour conference call this morning and used that time to sand on my boat. I don't feel the least bit guilty.

Tim

Quote from: John Turpin on August 27, 2009, 06:39:17 PM
I intentionally dodged a two-hour conference call this morning and used that time to sand on my boat. I don't feel the least bit guilty.
Ahh John, you coulda just said it was a bad speaker making the scratching sound  ;) ::)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

Beautiful!

Sanding is good for the soul!

Here is a grog to wash away the dust.   ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

John- Did we miss something? What boat are you sanding on?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on August 27, 2009, 10:04:54 PM

John- Did we miss something? What boat are you sanding on?

;) That's what happens when you take off cruising  ;D

although he has mentioned it on his TSBB name line, I will let him tell you

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

John Turpin

Quote from: CharlieJJohn- Did we miss something? What boat are you sanding on?

Hey Charlie. I'm building Graham's Lapwing 16. The build site is here:  http://www.tetra-sail.com/lapwing.htm

Then, when it's done, I think I'm going to start on a Princess 26.   Really.  See what you're missing?

Tim

Nice build site John. Now THAT is a good way to make use of that time!

Do you always work in a flower print shirt? ;)

W.A. Ward