News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

GPS

Started by winkali, July 29, 2009, 12:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkali

G'day folks I have a Garmin GPS 76 that I use on my boat. I cruise the Queensland coast and have the chance of getting either a plotter or GPS 76CSX at a good price. I prefer to use paper charts as I can see all the detail easier and I'm not that much of a fan of gadgets. Has anyone had experience with the 76CSX and the charts for it? I would appreciate any info.
George :)

Bluenose

George,

I just replace my trusty Garmin 76S recently. I went through quite a number of tacks before finally deciding on one of Garmin's mobile chartplotters, the 276C.

For all intents it is more of an overgrown handheld than a true chartplotter. And I am really liking it.

The 276C is an older version of the current 478 which comes with nautical charts.

In my case I was looking for a slightly larger screen than I had on the 76 line.

Cheers, Bill

AdriftAtSea

Yes, you can download the bluechart charts onto the 76CSx's microSD cards, but the screen isn't that big and gets awfully cluttered pretty quickly unless you're zoomed in fairly close or have a lot of the information turned off.  IMHO, you're better off using the Garmin to give you lat/long and plotting on paper charts. :)

The 276 and its successors are nice little units and far more useable as chartplotters than the 76 series handhelds.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Oldrig

See my reply to the other thread, "GPS Question," on this subject: I have to agree with Dan that the GPSmap 76 is not a true chartplotter and should always be supplemented with (or serve as a supplement to) paper charts.

That said, I've used this unit for three or four seasons and found it satisfactory.

I almost said "adequate," but I'd like a true chartplotter if I could afford one.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Lynx

I used mine for over 2000 miles. A little hard getting used to but nice to have an anchor drag alarm. EACH extra zone is $ 100.
MacGregor 26M

winkali

Thanks for your input guys. I,ve been using the basic 76 with paper charts but I just thought that if I got the 76csx at a good price I might get some charts as well to try. I think I will just stay with paper charts.
Again thanks for your help.
George :o

Marc

I don't know if I'm in the right catergory or not but I have a laptop that is not weather proof.  Will it be okay if kept in a watertight container untill need or do I need to spend 3900 on a weatherproof one?  I'm getting real close to launching, Labor day maybe.  But I'm thinking of the big picture.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Shipscarver

I keep my HP in a, Sea to Summit bag. So bagged,  I keep that package in a regular computer carrying case, in a back pack, while saving my pennies for a waterproof, padded case.  ::)
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Auspicious

I don't care how nice the weather is, I never ever open the portlight above the nav station.

There is a label on the plexi that says "Do not open on pain of death."

Just sayin'
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

Just get an inexpensive drybag and stuff your regular computer bag into it. :)
Quote from: Shipscarver on August 20, 2009, 09:48:44 PM
I keep my HP in a, Sea to Summit bag. So bagged,  I keep that package in a regular computer carrying case, in a back pack, while saving my pennies for a waterproof, padded case.  ::)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more