no knead bread experiment/work in progress

Started by Mr. Fixit, August 15, 2009, 08:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fixit

yesterday I tried to make no knead bread using same equiptment I will be using on the boat. I have been making my own bread at home for years, however I do not consider my self an expert. If anybody has any advice on my miscues I would appreciate their experience. The no knead dough is more like a batter than a dough, although I generously greased the bread pan, it still stuck. I think it may help to flour the pan after greasing as you would with a cake batter. The second miscue was the bread pan(i think). I used a pyrex glass pan, I like them because I can see the color of the loaf. I did not have a cover of any type over the pan. My microwave/convection oven heats from the top. The bread glazed over on the top, probably from the forced hot air from the top, befor it was baked on the bottom. I think next time I will try to put some type of cover over it. I had to take the loaf out of the pan and finish baking it up side down to complete baking. It was edible that is all I can say. The convection oven has worked very well with ordinary bread dough. The no knead also took longer to bake than the regular dough. I like the idea of no knead, not as much mess,clean up easier, less yeast. If the problems are worked out it may become my preferred method of baking

CharlieJ

I've been aboard the boat now for almost two weeks and Laura has baked two loaves
, and a cake using her pressure cooker. The only trouble she had was the bottom being slightly burned but we bought a clay saucer today to use as a diffuser in the cooker bottom which should solve that problem.

Oh and Laura just told me-you don't grease the glass pan - just flour the bread well then drop the dough into the HOT pan. It doesn't stick.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Auspicious

Kneading bread is a settling experience. Very Zen.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Mr. Fixit

Question --CharlieJ/Laura---Does Laura use the pressure cooker as a Dutch Oven or as a pressure cooker?

psyche

What is the recipe for the no kneed bread? Dan

CharlieJ

Quote from: psyche on August 17, 2009, 01:04:10 AM
What is the recipe for the no kneed bread? Dan

in "galley and ration" go to a thread called "since Laura retired" there's a link in the first entry by me to the video

I'm right now in the middle of Lake Pontchartrain approaching the Rigollies. Don't know how to include a link using this IPhone-grin
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Grime

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: Grime on August 17, 2009, 08:02:08 PM
Here's the link to the youtube that Charlie is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

Too cool,

From the video....

3 cups of flour (nothing special, just general purpose)

1/4t of yeast

1 1/4t of salt

1 1/2 cups of water.

Put them together, and lightly mix (guy in the video did it with his fingers, took maybe 3 seconds).

Cover dough and allow to rise for 12 hours.

Fold dough into a ball sprinkle wheat bran on top, flip it over and sprinkle bottom and place in pan.

Pan should be pre-heated to 500f  They used dutch over type iron pan but suggested Pyrex would work fine.

Bake at 500f 15min covered, and then 15 uncovered.

Looked amazing.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

That's how Laura does it. She uses a Pyrex bowl. Only difference is you can't get the pressure cooker quite that hot so baking takes a tad longer. She just bought a clay flower pot saucer to use as a heat diffuser so the. Bottom of the loaf doesn't burn.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Mr. Fixit

I followed directons and as Charlie said even a(cave) man can do it. The bread was very good, I was suprised by the fact that the recepie does not have any oil/shortening in it. The oil and extra liquid are the only differences aside from the reduced amount of yeast,from conventional bread. This time I did not add oil. When I make conventional bread the only thing i measure is the liquid, and rely on experience for the other ingredients .From my no knead attemps if you follow the recepie, you will get good results. Since I am using electric to bake I think I will stay with kneaded bread, because with the convection oven I only bake at 375 deg. for 25-30 min. for a loaf using 3 to 3 1/2 cups of flour. 450 is the top end of my convection oven, and for this reason I will stay conventional. If I was cooking with propane, I really like the advantages of no knead. Easier cleanup etc.