News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Long Term/Islands on an H27

Started by Greenman, August 18, 2009, 11:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenman

I original intent was to use my Hunter 27 as a learning and local weekender. Then buying a 30+ footer to do the ICW and out to the Bahamas. However, now that I am elbows deep in "making it how I like" I am considering keeping it. The pros would be that it's mine and I will have had a couple years to outfit it and make sure it's in as good as condition as possible,  it has a 3'3" draft and seems pretty roomy in comparison to other 27s I have seen.

My concern is how limited I will be in venturing past the Bahamas in the Carribean. Obviously all sorts of people take all sorts of small boats everywhere, but not always with safety and common sense in the fore.

Then again, I may never feel like leaving the Bahamas, who knows. I am just looking for thoughts on the livability/safety of an H27 long term.

Here is my little girl http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=2409.0

1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Frank

I spend about 3 months per year on a boat smaller than yours in the Bahamas. The shallow draft is a bonus !  As to further down.....you may want a more 'offshore' design but as you stated....lots of passages made on lessor boats.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Greenman

I guess my biggest concern is if my wife will go for it. I try showing her trip reports like Tehani's and Faiths and the others here on sailfar, but who knows what she thinks. I am hoping that after a couple years and a few longer (several week trips) she will go for it.

So far she not buying the whole "The world is your living room" bit.

1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

mitiempo

Properly prepared you should have no problem taking a Hunter 27 south. I watched your videos and agree that things like changing the gate valves should be done. I would also put in a fixed lower dropboard in the companionway to stop water from going below if the cockpit ever fills. My plans are similar except I'm on the left coast about as far from you as I can be in Canada (Victoria). I purchased a CS27 last October and have made a lot of changes with more to come. So far new ss fuel tank and fuel fill relocated to side deck from cockpit sole - fill leaked and rusted tank. New stove (propane w/oven) which required 2 new partial bulkheads in the galley - properly glassed in, better engine access - door w/ removable hinges instead of a large lift-off that I would have banging around if I had to access it in a seaway, relocation of batteries and ac panel, new engine panel with gauges instead of lights and rewire of Yanmar 8hp diesel, complete rewiring of all dc replacing 6 fuse 32 year old panel with Blue Seas breaker panel, Xantrex link 10 (bought from the Binnacle in Halifax), propane solenoid and sniffer, new Nexis log/temp and gps with hand held back-up, new stereo. I've also replaced most of the original lights and added some led lights in both red and white. Replaced head with Lavac. Replaced main winches with Anderson 40st and moved the original Anderson 28st to cabintop to replace some ancient Lewmars, replaced old stoppers on cabintop with Spinlock clutches. Still to do - add tillerpilot, replace fixed portlights with better design, new headliner, rebed main chainplates, new bow roller, add solid vang (Garhauer), replace rigging wire and possibly turnbuckles, replace lifelines with 3/16 stainless w/o plastic cover, replace folding propeller with fixed 3 blade Campbell Sailer, replace some through hulls with proper fittings and switch all to ball valves, relocate one through hull for galley sink drain and install one more for salt water in galley, and install through hull paddlewheel for log. I will add two cockpit drains right through the transom as well. I also got rid of the head sink as like you I feel one is enough. Mine was on a slide-out above the head and the space is better used for storage. Most 27' boats were made for weekends and there can always be more easily accessed storage. I think that covers it except for a windvane - haven't decided what type yet but the Norvane looks pretty good. Whew - that's a lot of work when you put it all together but when I finish I'll know every inch of my boat and be able to fix most anything as I've done all of it except welding the new fuel tank. Small boats get a bad rap from lots of people and Hunters and Catalinas get more than their share. If the basic boat is solid (and I think the Hunters from that era especially the Cherubinis are) it's mostly basic things like seacocks, sailhandling improvements, comfort and storage additions that have to be made. My future is Mexico and then who knows. Don't let anyone dissuade you from going south if that is what you want as it's within your reach. Good luck.
Brian
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

Auspicious

Quote from: Greenman on August 18, 2009, 12:12:21 PM
I guess my biggest concern is if my wife will go for it. I try showing her trip reports like Tehani's and Faiths and the others here on sailfar, but who knows what she thinks. I am hoping that after a couple years and a few longer (several week trips) she will go for it.

So far she not buying the whole "The world is your living room" bit.

My thoughts are based on a trail of broken relationships and two divorces. I've tried to learn from my mistakes and seem to be doing better this time around.

Listen to your wife. Make time to understand what is important to her. Realize that she may not know some of the things that are critical but so fundamentally expected that she honestly doesn't realize the magnitude of her own need.

As you implied, long weekends and a few longer trips are a good exploration. That approach will help you both realize what is important to you both. I suggest you take as many such trips as you can BEFORE you spend a lot of money on stuff that turns out not to be important to you or to your wife.

I also suggest Dragged Aboard by Don Casey. You and your wife could talk about each chapter as you *both* read it. Some things you may be able to see "not a problem for us." Others might lead you to avoid what could otherwise be a problem.

I expect you'll get relationship credit for listening carefully to your bride and caring about her feelings and concerns.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

Another good book for you to read and then give to your better half is Debra Ann Cantrell's Changing Course.  It is rather important that you read and understand what is in the book before giving it to her to read.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Grime

I hope your wife will come around. Mine was mad at me when I purchased our little boat. In time we meet some really great people that helped me get started. When we splashed the first time CJ went with us and put her on the tiller as soon as we backed out of the slip and into the ICW. She was sailing with sheets up and dolphins swimming around us and Lisa came to life. She was like a school girl. That was just 13 months ago. We had never been on a boat before.  When Laura left on their cruise Lisa wanted to go with her for a week or two until Charlie could catch up. I told her to go but she stayed behind because of my health issues.

We never yell at each other and I try to let her come into sailing own her own. I find thing that she really enjoys on the water to do. Now she wants to go cruising for awhile. I also renamed our boat to Miss Froggy because she loves frogs.

Your wife can read all the books in the world but until she experiences those beautiful sunset and long walk on some distant beach its just reading about someone else doing it. She'll come around if you just take your time and let her come into it own her own.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Oldrig

I'm going to chime in here, too:

Listen carefully and sympathetically to your wife's concerns. Take her sailing, let her experience short and then longer trips, and see if she begins to feel comfortable onboard a boat.

There are plenty of women (and undoubtedly men, too) who simply don't feel the magical allure of crossing the water under sail. I speak from experience: 26 years ago I married one and, thankfully, we are still together.

If staying with your spouse is important, give her a chance to adjust to sailing. And if she doesn't take to it (yeah, I still don't understand why my wife wouldn't), make arrangements to accommodate that. In my case, it means mostly sailing solo.

My wife does enjoy sleeping aboard--she just doesn't like long passages. She recently accompanied me on a 100-mile cruise during which she got very, very seasick. And, she swears (not for the first time) that she'll never do it again.

So, our solution seems to be one that other cruisers have adopted: I'll sail to a destination, and my wife will get there by another means (car or plane).

It's not ideal, but if your love for your wife is as important as your love of sailing, it's a possibility to consider.

Best of luck,

--Joe

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Auspicious

S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

jotruk

s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

SV Wind Dancer