Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Swim ladder position

Started by Gerald A. Gotts, August 21, 2009, 09:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerald A. Gotts

Hi guys,girls,

I've got a simple question I believe.  A swim ladder was included with my Bristol 27 inventory.  It has never been mounted.  It is the folding stainless  steel type that has studs on the upper end that hook into keyhole shaped openings in the bracket mounted to the deck.  Where is the best location for this ladder ?  Should it be mounted on the stern or on one side or the other near the stern?  If I mount it on the stern I would guess the  stand offs should be lengthened so the ladder is more vertical.

I was also wondering if I can keep the ladder in the folded and secured position while sailing rather than putting it away in a locker.

Thanks, 

Jerry
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

ThistleCap

Jerry, since we don't know your boat or how the ladder is laid out and you do, I suspect you're the best judge.  A couple guidelines, those ladders usually aren't meant for a lot of torque, meaning if they're not against a stable and flat surface, you're likely to buckle it.  If the transom is flat and free of other obstructions (outboard, steering vane, etc.), that's the most stable location for a swim ladder and therefore the first choice.  I wouldn't put it on either side near the stern because the hull shape won't support it.  On larger vessels, they often go in the waist of the vessel in conjunction with a gate in the lifelines.  If you don't have a gate, meaning you'll have to step over the lifelines anyhow, and the hull is flat enough to support it, on smaller vessels, I've always liked a boarding ladder near the shrouds for boarding from the water or a dinghy.  There the shroud serves as a good handhold for stability and boarding safety, just as when boarding over the stern a person can hang onto first the pushpit or stern pulpit and then the backstay.  Beyond that, I'd be guessing.  If you have a reverse transom, they usually mount parallel with the tansom.  Most of the Bristols I'm picturing have a more traditional transom, in which case you'd probably want to make the lower legs long enough for it to be vertical. Unless it is mounted permanently, I'd always stow it while underway.  The right wave will lift it out of those mounting brackets and send it to the bottom.  I'd always have a light line made off to it even when anchored in case it gets knocked lose, but stowing underway is still safer.  
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

Gerald A. Gotts

Thanks for the advice .  Yes my transom is traditional I suppose ( from the deck it slopes inward toward the water) .  Is that what you mean ?   I think I would much rather have the ladder on the stern for the reasons you stated ie; handholds.  I just wish I could leave it in place during a sail.  I am tired of stowing things down below as if I didn't have enough stuff in there now!!!

I certainly do appreciate the good advice from everyone on this forum and hope someday I can advise as well.

Jerry,

- Jack Sparrow

ThistleCap

I'd go with the transom then.  Since it's a folding ladder, give it the acid test and try it in place underway as long as it's clear of the water when you have a good quarter wave going.  Be sure to have one or two lanyards on it securing it to the boat so even if it does come loose, you won't lose it.  If it works, then you can just stow it for your days away from the boat.  One other caution, however, is looking at the mounting hardward.  They're usually just meant to slide straight in and out of the 'keyway'.  A transverse loading of the bracket if it catches a wave or your own quarter wave will damage the brackets if there's no hinge below the bracket.  An option would be to have two 'L' brackets made to bolt to the transom with the ladder thru-bolted between the brackets.  A wave would not torque the brackets, and if the size is right, you could even double fold it---one hinge to get the bottom of the ladder out of the water, and then hinge on the brackets to secure against the stern pulput.  Then it could be left in place all the time.  A machine shop could set up that for you in no time if you can't find over-the-counter 'L' brackets.  If the transom isn't flat port to starboard, to get the flanges of the brackets perfectly parallel so the ladder doesn't bind, you'd have to measure the angle of the offset or shim, or the difference may be small enough you can just bend them a tad. 
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

polecat

Jerry - The gate may be a safer place to put your swim ladder.  Your Bristol has really nice overhangs which you or your dinghy can get under when boarding in a seaway.  Just my opinion,  I have a nice swim ladder off my Renegade stern including mounts that should fit if you really want to go that way.
jim

Gerald A. Gotts

Thanks guys,

I appreciate all the advice as usual.   Polecat  I will let you know if I can use the one you mentioned.

What do you guys think of the telescoping ladders as I have one of those as well "somewhere" ?  I  am liking the idea of a permanent ladder partly so I don't have to stow it away.  I also kind of like the stern mount if only because a person would be able to grab hold of the stern railing  and  the back stay for help.

I'm not sure which way I'm going but I do thank you guys.

Jerry,

- Jack Sparrow

Gerald A. Gotts

Are those S/steel  telescoping ladders any good or are they a bit flimsy?  Anybody used them ?

Thanks guys,girls

- Jack Sparrow

Auspicious

I had one of the telescoping ladders on the swim platform of my power boat. I wasn't too crazy about it -- the whole thing felt flimsy under my weight (about 160# back then).

I much prefer the fixed or hinged ladders.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

The transom isn't necessarily the best place for a swim ladder, since in heavier seas, it can move quite a bit and pose a danger to anyone in the water trying to board the ladder.  Amidships, where the boat is a bit more stable is often a better choice....especially on older designs, like yours, which don't have a swim platform type transom. 

I use a telescoping design and haven't had any issues with it... I would highly recommend that your ladder be mounted so that you have at least two rungs down below the waterline.  If you don't have at least two steps below the waterline, it can be difficult to get on the ladder and climb it from the water.  Having a way to release the swim ladder from the water, so that you can lower it from the water, is very helpful, especially if you accidentally fall overboard at anchor or such.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more