News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New Front runner

Started by Cpt2Be, August 23, 2009, 03:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt2Be

Paging through YachtWorld today and came across this.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=2054942&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=13064&url=

Few odds & ends I'd need to pick up for our purpose but looks like a nice starter for our plans?

Frank

Ted Brewer did a comparison of 4 in that size range. The bristol 24 has GREAT motion comfort and capsize screening numbers. Truly a lil offshore yacht. I'll look for the article for yoy. You'll really like the outboard thing. Too easy to take to work on or replace. The shallow draft is a real bonus as well.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Found it. Three boats not four.He put it wth the Pacific Seacraft 25 and Frances 26. The Bristol and Frances were more 'offshore'. The capsize screening number is 1.77 That is exellent for a 24fter. Anything under 2 is good. Motion comfort is 28.4  Again exellent for a 24. Both numbers are better than many 30+ ft boats. While these numbers are only to be used for comparison...they certainly do indicate a capable lil boat. It appears slightly undercanvassed so a light weight 150 would be a good addition for low wind days.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Chattcatdaddy

Great market right now for small boats. Hope it continues for the next 2 yrs when I`m ready to make a purchase.

That bristol looks pretty nice. Of course a good hands on inspection will tell alot more. If you can not make the trip yourself for the inspection then a survey would be your best bet. Good Luck!
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Cpt2Be

I REALLY REALLY wanted to try and make that Ariel out in SF work but we would have only a few options (cruise wise) to make her viable.

1. Sail down to Panama and wait out a passage through the canal (that's a long wait for the canal right?)

2. Sail her entirely around S. America and up into the Caribbean (That's a long first cruise for these newbs  :o)

3. Shipping. I have looked into shipping her from SF Bay to like Corpus Christ TX and the cost though not "prohibitive" has been estimated at $1500.00 (so given that "estimate" I figure twice as much)

If you have any ideas (other than rent a truck & trailer) or know of a place to get a more accurate bid on shipping I would still LOVE to salvage the Ariel idea (Wife & I have fell in love with her)

s/v Faith

Bristol 24 is a fine little ship.  I have one in the slip next to me right now, the owner is an older gentleman who does not feel comfortable taking it out... he just keeps up the brightwork and checks on the boat from time to time.

It seems funny for a guy with a ~25' boat to say about a ~24' boat but it seems small to me.  I think the cabin top is about the height of a CD25...  which has almost exactly the same size hull as the Ariel but 'feels' much smaller.  I would expect the B 24 to have the same feeling. 

I can not say how this would affect anything, neither Rose nor I are in danger of bumping our heads aboard Faith, so the space issue is probably not much of a consideration.   

Since you are interested in the Ariel, have you considered posting a 'wanted' post onthe Ariel site?  May find someone just waiting for the right home to come along...?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Christopher

That's a nice looking little boat.  Here's a site I've enjoyed lately that pours gas on the boat shopping fire.  It lets you search all craigslist postings in the country rather than local searches.  You'll find tons of boats that would otherwise be tough to locate.

http://www.craiglook.com

Searching for Ariels on there you'll find hull #378 for $1550.  Guessing the owner ran into more trouble than he/she wanted.  378 was purchased in '07 and is up for sale again. 

My wife and I are really in love with the CD26.  You can find them under 20K, and they are 80's boats so they are usually in a little nicer shape.  Standing head room, outboard well, and really a pretty little boat.  Unfortunately they are hard to find..
I just sold my vintage '73 Gibson Les Paul today in preparation for my boat purchase.  The new owner comes to pick her up tomorrow.. Going to be sad...that is until I get my boat!!
1993 Hunter 23.5

Amgine

Sailed a Bristol Caravelle, 22' I think, around in Puget Sound. The boat was very sound considering it was a student yacht club keeler. There had been a hull-to-deck leak at some point, which had been solved by grinding off the gelcoat and building up a lapping fibreglass joint (rather than the more logical but time consuming unfasten, lift, reef out the mastic, replace, refasten technique.)

The boat had old sails, and when the main was replaced with new it was like a new boat. Much better sailor than I expected. And tough enough to survive about 20 years of nearly daily abuse by novice keelboat sailors.

Cpt2Be

Add is a good idea hadn't even given that any thought thanks!

That Ariel for $1500...Way to much of a project boat for this newb.

We oviously havn't made up our minds yet and we probably are not buying till around Fed-Mch so the markets sure to change. There are a few on our short list though that I am hopping will be around by then. That Bristol is one of them. Along with a whole lot of Cape Dory's and of course the Ariel in SF.

I'd have to modify the sail and ground tackle inventory but here's a CD28 that is alos on the short list...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=1795115&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=39384&url=

Christopher

Yeah - that Ariel is definitely too much for me as well.  It's great how these forums allow us to track histories of boats.

I like the CD 28 a lot.  There's one in Milwaukee that I've been through a couple times.  One thing to note, the 78 and newer had bronze portlets and a bridge deck.  The CD 28 felt cramped for whatever reason.. maybe it was just because all that wood in there made it so dark. 

Nice roomy cockpit though and most still have tiller.

We'll be buying probably around the same time, from the same area, looking for similar boats...  >:( LOL

1993 Hunter 23.5

skylark

If I could sell my Tanzer I would jump on that Ariel in Green Bay.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Cpt2Be

Quote from: mkeChris on August 25, 2009, 01:35:18 PM
Yeah - that Ariel is definitely too much for me as well.  It's great how these forums allow us to track histories of boats.

I like the CD 28 a lot.  There's one in Milwaukee that I've been through a couple times.  One thing to note, the 78 and newer had bronze portlets and a bridge deck.  The CD 28 felt cramped for whatever reason.. maybe it was just because all that wood in there made it so dark.  

Nice roomy cockpit though and most still have tiller.

We'll be buying probably around the same time, from the same area, looking for similar boats...  >:( LOL

We just love Alberg numbers and designs and we keep ending up there because they all seem to meet our needs and budget. Lot's of them out there. Still no decisions but if we take a slip in Texas it may just be doable to pick up that Ariel in SF (WE REALLY REALLY LOVE HER) LOL! :P

That Bristol does have 6' headroom though and that's a major plus

okawbow

The Bristol 24 is a great little ship. I've sailed mine about 2000 miles in the last 3 years. The wife and I love to sail on days that are too windy for most others to go out. Put the right combination of reefs and head sail, and the little corsair sails great. It light air, I use a 155 genoa, and keep up just fine with lighter boats. We have won several PHRF races, even with our older sails. I'm sure a new set of cloth would make her sparkle. I'm 5'11, and the cabin is plenty big for me. I sailed solo down the Tennesse- Tom-Bigbee, and across the Gulf to Tarpon Springs Florida, last year. The Bristol was the perfect choice for my needs on that trip. I have the diesel inboard, and highly recommend it for long trips.

As with any 30-40 year old sailboat; check out the chainplates and bulkhead for rot. Check the deck for soft spots. Mine has some softness in the middle of the foredeck, but I haven't done anything about it yet. It doesn't seem to be a problem. Check the depth of the bilge. if it is about 10"-12", the ballast is solid lead. If it is only 2" or 3", the ballast is iron and concrete. I think the lead is better. It's a great little boat for the money.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Christopher

Quote from: skylark on August 26, 2009, 02:41:10 PM
If I could sell my Tanzer I would jump on that Ariel in Green Bay.

The $1550 one?  Do you know anything about that one in Montague?  Somewhat close to your neck of the woods isn't it?
1993 Hunter 23.5

skylark

I tried to find the one in Montague while passing through that way, but apparently it was not located at the office.  But I think that the Montague boat has been sold, at least I think I remember hearing that it was sold.

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Amgine

The CD 28 looks like a very nice boat. Keep in mind that, unlike more modern boats, that 8'10" beam doesn't allow as much interior width, and the fiberglass liner eats a bit of the interior as well. On the other hand... I'd love that pilot berth. It takes out some valuable bookshelf space, but ohsonice to have a standing berth you don't have to make up/empty out at night.

Keep an eye on the hardware, too. The heavy cast fittings on the CDs won't let you down, unlike the nylon/aluminum/cast zinc ones you find on some boats.

Cpt2Be

Quote from: Amgine on August 27, 2009, 09:27:37 PM
The CD 28 looks like a very nice boat. Keep in mind that, unlike more modern boats, that 8'10" beam doesn't allow as much interior width, and the fiberglass liner eats a bit of the interior as well. On the other hand... I'd love that pilot berth. It takes out some valuable bookshelf space, but ohsonice to have a standing berth you don't have to make up/empty out at night.

Keep an eye on the hardware, too. The heavy cast fittings on the CDs won't let you down, unlike the nylon/aluminum/cast zinc ones you find on some boats.

Didn't realize till just now it's a '74 so I would have to build a bridgedeck and possibly replace the ports with bronze opening but meh it's still a wounderfull possibility and neither modification should run into to much (although I'd probably forego the ports in favor of sail now and install them at some later point)

Christopher

Nice looking Bristol 29 in Manitowoc.  Herreshoff boat..  Only things I don't like are the starboard galley and the atomic 4..  Not sure if the aft lazarette is big enough for an outboard...

Cool lookin boat though.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/Bristol-29-2094522/Manitowoc/WI/United-States
1993 Hunter 23.5

Cpt2Be

LOL boat lust has GOT ME!

At least for that Ariel out in the SF Bay area...

I am almost certain that she is the one. Even though there are logistical issues like how we would have to take her through the Panama Canal to get her where we want to cruise, the price is worth it IMHO.

Plus we'd get to make passage through the canal which bureaucracy and cost aside isn't as bad as I thought it would be from what I have been reading.

She just represents so much of what we are looking for in a boat that I have a problem justifying any other purchase...

Still hope she isn't sold by the time we are ready to buy

CaptMac

I think it is required that you will need four line handlers to go through the canal, so by the time you pay for a couple of extra hands and feed and berth them for a week plus all the fees and taxes you might find it cheaper to have it trailered across and its quicker. I also heard there was a minimum size limit now, please check for the current requirements for crossing the canal before buying so you can figure your total cost.
Seafarer 26