News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cost to replace stays and shrouds

Started by Christopher, September 10, 2009, 10:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Anybody have a good recent figure of what it would cost to replace the stays, shrouds and turnbuckles on 26-27 footer?

1993 Hunter 23.5

newt

Depends if you do it yourself (1-1.5k) or have a pro do it for you. My Valiant cost 7k.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Frank

My electra was $780 incl. dble lowers. I expect the ariel to be about $1000.Thats me taking the old ones in to the shop and picking them up when ready.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

jotruk

I recently replaced my stays  it cost about 500 I ordered everything and done it my self with stylock fittings
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

ThistleCap

Go for it. If you can work a wrench, you can completely re-rig with Sta-Lok or Norseman.  If you have hanked headsails, I'd recommend using a round wire on the headstay rather than tri-form.  The triangular wires don't set smoothly.  The edges of the triangular wires protude and eat bronze hanks way too fast.  It's a racing form of rigging that hardly justifies its cost.  I had to use it on the headstay because it was the only wire in the size I needed in Gibraltar.  We fell 20 ft. vertically off two huge breaking seas in a row.  No, I'm not kidding.  The rig stood, but it was stressed so badly we had a stbd. shroud break the next day, the headstay two days later, so I replaced several pieces in Gibraltar.  The Noreseman and Sta-Lok are great because they enable you to replace any rigging at sea or in the boonies.  They are actually stronger than machined ends, but if you want machined ends, just take the measurements to West Marine.  They can make the pieces custom and you can install yourself and still save some money. 
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

Christopher

Wow - everything on these floating hunks of plastic is expensive!  There are a couple of boats on our short list that have original rigging over 30 years old.  I eyeballed the cables and all appear fine, but I'd rather just have new rigging for peace of mind.
1993 Hunter 23.5

Bluenose

Quote from: mkeChris on September 11, 2009, 10:45:08 AM
Wow - everything on these floating hunks of plastic is expensive!  There are a couple of boats on our short list that have original rigging over 30 years old.  I eyeballed the cables and all appear fine, but I'd rather just have new rigging for peace of mind.

If you think the rigging is expensive you are in for the ride of your life. We had everything replaced on our 30 footer (think long skinny 25 foot hull with a 35 foot rig). The new standing rigging built by a professional rigger was $819.74.

Shopping like crazy we have 2 or 3 times this in deck fittings (traveler, winches, cleats etc). And we probably have about this much, or more, in running rigging as well even though I buy my line and shackles on ebay and splice myself.

When they say the cost of a boat goes up exponentially in size they mean it.

Christopher

Quote from: Bluenose on September 11, 2009, 11:34:12 AM

I'm becoming a believer...  :o
1993 Hunter 23.5

Cpt2Be

Quote from: mkeChris on September 11, 2009, 12:44:07 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on September 11, 2009, 11:34:12 AM

I'm becoming a believer...  :o

Probably why we went from looking at an Alberg 30 to a multitude of 28, 27, 26 and 24's of different varieties. Notice the trend  ;D

Remember as well that once you get to the point of having a survey you will have that negotiating room on price because of condition.

newt

Cpt2Be

Nope, still looking. Like Chris, we are spending a lot of time looking for something with the least amount of refit needed.

newt

Well one advantage of gettting a boat and keeping it at home is that you can "improve" it on weekends.( when it is too cold to go sailing of course!) Dive in and even get a Dingy. That will get you started.