Days of adventure are over (well they are in Holland!!!!)

Started by max_hyde, August 28, 2009, 02:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

max_hyde

Dont know if this has come to your notice, but it's just starting to make the news in the uk.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8226196.stm

Max

Chattcatdaddy

This was bound to happen sooner or later. I mean Zac held the record for all of a couple of weeks and now his sister is planning to attempt it as well. Not to mention the few others that are planning to take off in the next year. Of all the young sailors I seem to like Zac the best. Seems to be a level headed kid and I wish him well in future adventures.

On a side note I am way underachieving! ;D
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Christopher

I saw this on yahoo earlier today.  I certainly respect Zac for his achievement, and others like Karen Thorndike.  What I don't like is this great emphasis that is being put on being the youngest to do it.  It seems to distract people's attention from the feat itself.  Regardless of how old you are, crossing an ocean, or all the world's oceans is a major accomplishment.

A dream like that should be undertaken for the accomplishment itself rather than the accomplishment relative to how fast or young someone else did it. 

This bother anyone else? 
1993 Hunter 23.5

Shipscarver

I may well be an old fuddy-duddy,  but a girl 13 years old?  I know she may well be technically qualified, but , a 13 year old girl dealing with the world at large? I don't think so,
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

CaptMac

Well now I know who is the youngest, but who is the oldest, I think that is the greater feat.
Seafarer 26

Cpt2Be

Quote from: mkeChris on August 28, 2009, 04:18:16 PM

A dream like that should be undertaken for the accomplishment itself rather than the accomplishment relative to how fast or young someone else did it. 

This bother anyone else? 

Well said and grog to you

max_hyde

FWIW in my humble opinion, the more the state interferes in peoples everyday lives the worse it is for everyone's freedom, for instance this is a forum for small boats, what if, and i say this with tongue in cheek, the perceived wisdom is that no boat under 40ft should be allowed offshore (according to popular sailing monthlys this would appear to be the case), and these naysayers then passed a law stating no boat under **ft was allowed outside of a 12mile coastal zone, for our own good you understand!!! where could it end, i just feel, that within reason and without endangering other peoples lives you should be allowed to do what you want (in sailing terms), now I realise people will say "ah but what about the people that risk their neck to save yours!" Well in my line of work i do that on a regular basis, but I took the job fully knowing the risks and can walk away anytime i wish.......   8)

I was recently in La Gomera, in the Canaries Islands, and one of the atlantic rowers was being refused permission to leave under the excuse his vessel didn't meet safety standards, (it had already crossed the atlantic once!) they basically impounded his boat and the fee for release was astronomical, like i say it could be the thin end of the wedge or they could really know whats good for us  ;)

Sorry its long winded but just an insight into my view on this subject.

Cheers Max

s/v Faith

Quote from: max_hyde on August 28, 2009, 02:10:36 PM
Dont know if this has come to your notice, but it's just starting to make the news in the uk.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8226196.stm

Max

QuoteDays of adventure are over (well they are in Holland!!!!)

Glad I am not a 13yo Dutch girl. 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Amgine

I don't know much about Nederland, but as I understand it the young person will be talking with a psychologist and other professionals for the next couple of months while living with her father and attending school when it starts this fall. This isn't the end of her adventure, per se, but rather a speed bump to determine if she has the skills and maturity to attempt the challenge as measured by (ostensibly) neutral 3rd parties.

Christopher

I don't begrudge the girl her dream and don't care too much for the government determining who can do what when and under what circumstances.

I just don't care for the idea of doing something to be the youngest, or the oldest, or the fastest.  I hope she follows her dream and is successful, but only hope that she's doing it because she wants to accomplish the feat itself rather than chasing notoriety.
1993 Hunter 23.5