News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Fuels ?!?!

Started by s/v Faith, December 20, 2005, 12:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

any decent hardware or paint store should have denatured alcohol. It's the thinner for shellac. You don't need "marine"
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lynx

Make sure that you burn the stove at home first to check the fumes. I have also heard 180 proof hard liquor works but a bit more expensive.
MacGregor 26M

skylark

I would be a little cautious with self lighting charcoal.  My wife bought some by mistake.  Self lighting charcoal flames like crazy, even more than when I use lighter fluid, and I use a lot of fluid.  I think it is a hazard to store self lighting charcoal on a boat. 
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Parrothead

"kerosene" in the us is really closer to #1 diesel or winter diesel without the red dye. I used to add 20% "mineral spirits" and it seemed to keep the smoke down. If there is an small airport near you that will take small jets then buy jet fuel from them if they have a  pump.

I found this article that clears things up pretty well.

It appearrs "lamp oil" is mineral spirits with a different label to rip off consumers.

http://www.milesstair.com/kero_fuel_primer.html

CharlieJ

What an interesting site. Thank you for the link. I've used mineral spirits for years in stoves and lamps. I've never tried low odor mineral spirits, but I sure intend to now.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Parrothead

your welcome. I used the big round kero heaters in the shop for years but the smell was terrible. I started buying it from the little airport and it was much better cuz the guy at the gas station said the "kerosene" they sold was just winter diesel without the red dye.

Parrothead

Im repeating from another thread.

http://www.milesstair.com/kero_fuel_primer.html

Check this out. Appearently "kerosene" sold today is #1 winter diesel without red dye.

"Lamp oil" is mineral spirits repackaged to rip off consumers.

Bill NH

Great reference, thanks!
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

Parrothead

I looked for a online supplier. The shipping is the issue it seems "hazmat" so best bet is to order a couple 5 gallon pails from home depot or whoever is local to get the best deal because they are already getting it shipped. You may have to wait for it but you will save some dough. The "Odorless" kind is only 5% more it seems so it sounds worth it to me.

s/v Faith

Kingfisher wrote;

QuoteI know I am going to be coined the know it all aroud this board... but I will feel better giving you all the knowledge I have painstakinly obtained over a decade on the water.
Do not carry gas on your boat. Except in small amounts.

Having a gasoline motor, I have to carry gasoline.  I do respect it, and will not let it into any lockers, or below decks.

My plan for cruising is to carry a max fuel load of 34 gallons.  That would only be carried when making a crossing when fuel is a difficult to come by, safety item.

I will swap my 6 gallon tank I currently use (stowed in the lazy-rat) for a 13 gallon tank that came with the boat.  I will carry 4, 5 gallon cans lashed to the shrouds and life lines amidships.  I looked at using the 6.5 gallon cans, to go to 40 gallons, but they are much tougher to lug around, and sit high enough to add windage above the cabin top.  (not to mention if you have a 6.5 gallon can, you are more likely to fill it it 6.5 gallons, and if you have to carry it far it gets HEAVY. 

Oh yea, and the one gallon can for the dingy motor.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Lynx

I carry gas on my boat because I cannot get a diesel outboard. All is above decks and I carry 30 gal's. 90 miles at WOT and over 330 at 5 mph. All fuel must be respected.

The only safe fuel is the wind. Well, unless is it blowing over 45 knots.
MacGregor 26M

Parrothead

Diesel outboards are now available.

Fortis

Diesel outboard are about 3-5 times the price of the equivalent power unit in even 4stroke petrol.

Spare parts and service is also harder to come by and way more expensive (though, I hope, more rarely needed)

I really like the concept of diesel outboards....I just don't think the reality has made them practical for low-mid budget owners.

One of the Coast Guard patrol boats in our state has been outfitted with twin diesel outboards, no idea how well it works for them, but they also had to do a lot of vessel trimming in order to cope with the much greater weight of the new diesels.

Sasha

CharlieJ

one other point is that diesels are HEAVY, even in outboard form. I've seen the Yanmar 27 HP diesel outboard- I thing it would take two pretty good sized guys to move it around. At that time, that was the smallest one made too.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

AFAIK, the Yanmar outboard diesels (27 and 36 HP models) were the only ones made, but I don't believe they're available for sale in the USA.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Fortis

Actually, there are several manufacturers.
The Yanmar ones are available in the US, with 27hp being the smallest.

Zongshen makes sizes 6-18hp

Tohatsu made one in the 80's, and are supposedly bringing a newer version of it back. They have one that they keep using in adds and discussions at boatshows...But it is only ever a poster and not the actual unit, yet.

Rotary Power International (RPI) have one coming online later next year that is being badged and marketed by Evinrude. It is indeed a ROTARY engine and expects to be much lighter weight for the power output then standard units.

There is this lot...
http://www.hardydiesel.com/mrn/diesel_outboard.htm
I hope they think to put some sort of cowl on it... and the pic is just the naked engine (it is the internet after all)

Carniti make a 25hp diesel outboard. If this is the same design as they were doing 20 years ago then  they are supposed to be unkillable.

Ruggerini are still in business, 10-18hp
http://www.engine-cemberci.com/engine/RUGGERINI/5.pdf

I think the diesel rotary is the truly scary option!!!!!

Alex.

AdriftAtSea

Umm.. .that Hardy Diesel is ludicrious.  250 lbs. and only 4 hp.  I can use my 3.5 HP Tohatsu, and put 25 gallons of gasoline on my boat and still come in under that weight. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

Hardy diesel @ 250lbs....ya'd need one heck of an OB bracket !! It has a really small fuel tank too. I'm likin Arift's Tohatsu idea more and more
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

That kerosene link is a great one.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Gus

sadly, the price of fuel affects how much or how often I can trailer my sailboat. Since last October, I haven't sailed at all, matter of fact, I thinking in building a little sailing dinghy so I can use a small lake closer to my house.

Gus
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/