-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Fuels ?!?!

Started by s/v Faith, December 20, 2005, 12:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Fuels.....?!?!   

I have a fuel problem.  ::)

I have a gasoline outboard, (two actually, one 2 stroke 100:1 6hp, one 50:1 3hp for the dink.

I have propane for the magma stove/BBQ, and for the catalytic cabin heater.  This is the fuel I like the least.

I have butane for my Kenyon stove.  This fuel is easy to store, and takes up less room then the propane. 

I have just purchased a kerosene cabin heater, so through that into the mix.

I have a small alcohol camp stove, as a 'back up' (not currently carried aboard, but I want to adapt it to a sea-swing).

I have 2 weems and plath anchor lights.  They ask for oil lamp fuel.

Gasoline (two mixes)
Propane
Butane
Kerosene
Alcohol
Oil for lamp

This is kinda silly.  Now, I know that the kerosene should be able to replace the oil lamp oil, although I have not actually burnt the kerosene in the lamps.  They are basically the useless ones anyway (except as anchor lights).

I like the idea of being 'multi-fuel' especially for cooking as I know not all fuels will be available everywhere. 

If nothing else, all of this could make for one heck of a Viking Funeral if needed!  :o  I would prefer to avoid that, and am open to any suggestions as to how.

What fuels are you using?  How are you carrying them?  Why?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

I'm:

Gas - propulsion
Gas w/2 stroke oil - dinghy
Propane - stove, heater (for away from dock)
Lamp oil - Lamp :D
Alcohol - Alternative stove

Ships power is provided by a 50W solar panel mounted aft, battery bank is 2 x 12V (one grp 24, one grp 27 at present, changing that soon to a 2x Trojan T105 golf cart battery setup). I would like to get one of the quiet, fuel sipping Honda/Yamaha 4 stroke 1kW gensets eventually, so that'll be "Gas" too.

Propane sure is easy, and hot. The explosive part can be dealt with, like it is with Gas. Still, I wonder about availability in far flung destinations, and may move away from it to,like yourself, a multi-fuel campstove hung in a gimballed rig of my own making.

If I get a campstove that'll burn kero, then I could use that in both the lamp and the stove. However, using solar power to keep the house bank charged makes for easy fluorescent and LED lighting, which is sure cooler in warm air than a burning lamp.

Alcohol as an alternative stove fuel is an easy choice. I've used the beer-can type KISS stoves for a few years, but just a few weeks ago had one "blow up" on me for the first time (in my dinghy, underway, far out in the Santee River delta - that's a story for another time... :)). I'm not sure why that happened, but I am glad it happened when and where I was, except for the fact that I threw my Sterno stove into the water along with the "burner" when it all caught fire. :D Had I been belowdecks, I probably would have just tossed it in the sink, but it did scatter flaming alcohol around a bit, and that was a bit eyebrow-raising. Those alchy KISS stoves are a good thing, being able to make one in a few minutes from 2 drink cans is nice.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

Currently on-board Zen:

Inboard motor needs Gas; I'm considering converting to diesel, but...that is still underconsideration.

Propane; for the BBQ

Oil lamp oil: for the... thats right..oil lamp. Can use Kero, but, not as clean burning.

Stove is manuel pump kero or Alcohol. I have to check which. Have not used it yet. I had thought of switching to propane below, but...scary. I'll need to run some test on which way to go for under passage.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Amorous

Amorous has an Atomic 4 which I will keep as I know about it and love the quiet running and relatively high power.

I have a 15 hp Johnson OB for the dink which is kinda heavy but lots of fun on the 10' Avon.  (36 knots!)

I use propane for the cook stove and folding oven and wouldn't change that either.  Baking is so much easier with the even heat of propane and to me' that's important.

I also have oil lamps but only use them as backup so only carry a couple of those quart bottles of lamp oil that you can buy at wal-mart.

Triton218

I have an Atomic 4 on Mojito with a newer 15 gallon tank under the starboard locker for gasoline. I also have a fantastic Magma grill that burns propane. I don't have a propane system on board. Rather, I use the small cylinders. I also have a small camping stove that burns butane, though I've never used the stove. I store the butane and propane containers in the galley.
- Jason King
Mojito, Pearson Triton #218
New Orleans, LA

www.triton218.com

Zen

Quote from: Triton218 on December 20, 2005, 03:52:00 PM
I use the small cylinders. I also have a small camping stove that burns butane, though I've never used the stove. I store the butane and propane containers in the galley.

I heard of someone using a camping stove with the propane burners. He installed in the the place where the old alcoh. burners were. He said he was happy with the arangement.

I am pleased with the way the Mag. cooks, I am unsure how practical it would be out at sea or at night. So I would want some simple/safe way of cooking below. Seems like there are many ways to do that, everyone is happy with their way seems like.

Triton218

QuoteI am pleased with the way the Mag. cooks, I am unsure how practical it would be out at sea or at night. So I would want some simple/safe way of cooking below. Seems like there are many ways to do that, everyone is happy with their way seems like.

It's why I have a stern pulpit! I remember cooking hotdogs on the Grand Banks on an old charcoal grill that slid into a rod holder. The grate was attached poorly and would rotate as the boat rolled. By camparison, the Magma is like having a 10 burner Viking range on board.

Regardless of how it's cooked, though, food always tastes better on the water.
- Jason King
Mojito, Pearson Triton #218
New Orleans, LA

www.triton218.com

Amorous

I have the propane camp stove arrangement in place of the old alcohol stove too and am way happy with it.  The counter has a cutout for the original stove and the stainless camp stove is fastened in that after lining the entire thing with stainless steel.  Another great thing about it is that it is fully usable at sea because the front drops for access to the control knobs but can then be closed and holds the dutch oven in place.  My folding oven also sits perfectly into the cutout.  AND.. I can replace the entire thing anytime I might need to for 30 bucks or so!

Zen

Hmmm, thats interesting. The other guy said the same. I am thinking of the practicality of that move. I can pickup a propane camp stove used, cheap.

Fuel is cheap, easy to store... safe?

How safe is anything... it all needs to be cared for correctly, right!

Ahh, what about gimbals for the pots while underway. How is that handled in your floater? Keeping the spilling to a min?

I suppose just to make tea or coffee you could use one of those water heating 12volt coils, that just drops in the cup and heats the water.

Jack Tar

Diesel Yanmar 2GM
Kerosens Force 10 heater
Lamp oil for lamp
alcohol to heat and light the force 10
Gasoline for honda outboard , Dinghy.
Propane for the oven and grill
Rum for me
Wine for the wife
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

dasein668

I use a Kenyon butane single burner stove (like the sort used in catering, available from any restaraunt supply house). It has good flame control at low and will boil a quart of water in about 90 seconds at high. Butane cylindars are reasonably cheap and moderately easy to find.
Dasein, Triton 668
dasein668.com

s/v Faith

QuoteI use a Kenyon butane single burner stove (like the sort used in catering, available from any restaraunt supply house). It has good flame control at low and will boil a quart of water in about 90 seconds at high. Butane cylindars are reasonably cheap and moderately easy to find.

That is the same unit I have.  It works well at the dock or on the hook.

OBTW, Just in case anyone is still buying their Butane at WM for $4.99 a pop, WalMart (the poor man's WM) now carries them in their camping section for $1.89!

Oldguy52

Which fuels do you use/carry aboard?
Gasoline X
Diesel
Kerosene X Actually I use 100% mineral spirits instead of kerosene
Propane X
Alcohol X
Butane
Oil lamp oil
CNG
all electric
Other (please explain)

We cook on an Origo 2 burner alcohol (non-pressure) stove. We really like it.

We heat with a 1500 watt electric heater when we are at the dock with shore power. It has done a good job down to temps as low as 20F. When we are out of the marina, we heat with a "Shipmate" Kerosene (vented) heater. We use 100% mineral spirits in this instead of Kerosene and it works very well. This has also kept the boat toasty warm in temps down to 20F. We also have a Deitz "Hurricane 80" kerosene lantern that we use for an anchor/cabin/cockpit light and a Den Hahn kerosene, gimballed lantern that we can use for lighting the cabin. These also use the 100% mineral spirits for fuel. We also carry a clay flower pot to put (inverted) on the cooKing stove for heat if for some reason we need it. When away from the dock we can be pretty much non-electric if we want.

Our 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke takes regular gas and our Honda EU 1000 inverter/generator takes the same when we bring it along, which is not often. For other propulsion, I also carry a 9 1/2 foot oar which I can use to scull our Flicka, This runs on PB&Js ;D

We do have a Magma propane grill which hangs on the aft rail. We keep a couple of the 1 lb propane cylinders out in the cockpit locker to power that.

Rik

PS "Flicka" hull #230
S/V Happy Little Girls 2
http://www.signsbyrik.net/rik/our_flicka.html

s/v Faith

QuoteWhen we are out of the marina, we heat with a "Shipmate" Kerosene (vented) heater. We use 100% mineral spirits in this instead of Kerosene and it works very well. This has also kept the boat toasty warm in temps down to 20F.

I just purchased a 'Shipmate' heater, and am awaiting delivery.  I had heard of adding a 'splash' of denatured Alcohol to the Kero, but not the mineral spirits.

The guy I am buying it from had only used it a couple times and was a little fuzzy on the operation.  I may need to 'pick you brain' once it gets here.

I look forward to no longer relying on my propane heater for those cold nights on the hook, I have never really felt comfortable with that thing......

captedteach

pre mix for the 8hp - Sailmaster which charges the batteries
propane for my camp stove and lamp/heater - I've found that the coleman propane camp lite will heat my cabin enuff on the few cold nites I need it and provides some reading or gaming lite at the same time.
two group 27 batteries for house lites and entertainment

Thats it for this boat - who knows about the next
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

kingfish

I know I am going to be coined the know it all aroud this board... but I will feel better giving you all the knowledge I have painstakinly obtained over a decade on the water.
Do not carry gas on your boat. Except in small amounts. Such as dink fuel.
Two years ago I was restoreing an old 40' stink-pot (power boat) And in the coarse of about five minutes I was helicoptered to the nearest burn ward with 2nd & 3rd degree burns over 70% of my body. My boat sank ( what was left of it) 3 other boats sank or were totaled out by the insurence company. All because of gasoline fumes, Plus the 2 tanks of propane for cooking. If you are considering useing your boat for offshore work. A diessel engine is a nessesity, One, diesel is much easyer and less costly to obtain, Secondly the maitnece and reliability is much better than gas. For cooking Propane is great. I have a great propane stove on my boat... but as soon as I can find a diesel/kerosene stove/oven that I can afford, I will float test the thing.Two problems with propane. One, its dangerous (see above) Also if it leaks you will not know it and it is heavier than air so it tends to find its way into living quarters. Secondly, it is very difficult to find when visiting far off places. and if you do find it ,you better have multible fittings for connection to fill. These places are not standarized like the states. Not to mention the cost!!! Diesel is easy to find and kerosene is universal, Yes these types of stoves are a pain in the a@# to use but if this was easy everybodie would be doing it...
Again this is for offshore work. If you are a coastie or a lake runner, propane is a great way to cook, just know the danger and have systems to alert you if there is a problem. As for those rail mout BBQ's I love mine. When at the dock I use propane and when I venture further out I remove the propane fitting and use solid fuel. ( wood or what ever I can find that burnes) Drift wood gives a great flavor if dryed.
Cheers
D

Excuse all the gramar and spelling errors, Im a sailor not a english proffesor :)
Few who come to the island leave them; They grow grey where they alighted; The palm shades and the trade wind fans them till they die
-R L Stevenson

CharlieJ

Aboard Tehani we carry gasoline for the engine and kerosene for the stove and lamps. We have an oil lamp inside and also use a deitz oil lantern as an anchor light 

Actually we don't carry kerosene- we carry 100% Mineral Spirits. I think I'm the guy who got Oldguy52 started using the stuff ;) I've used 100% Mineral spirits in stoves and lamps for 30 years now. It burns cleaner than todays kerosene and can usually be found at a lower cost. I look for cans labeled "Paint Thinner" that have a second line that says "100% Mineral Spirits" If it doesn't have that second line I don't buy it.

We also carry a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol to use to preheat the kerosene burner on the stove. Smells better than denatured ;)

In my gallery pics is one of our stove in use underway- I don't know how to make it show up here, but it's labeled "Galley stove-heeled in Mississippi Sound"

S/V Faith- I would never add a "splash" of anything to the mineral spirits , or kerosene for that matter. The fuel is one of the hotter ones in stoves-doesn't need a splash of anything- just proper preheating of the burners.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Coastal Cruiser

QuoteIn my gallery pics is one of our stove in use underway- I don't know how to make it show up here, but it's labeled "Galley stove-heeled in Mississippi Sound"

hearsejr

I had a gas outboard, and a multi fuel camping stove, that I used as a grill....just sit it in the cockpit, in comfort and cook breakfast or dinner. I also did a lot of grill cooking but that was on shore using wood. I plan on putting a grill on the railing  on the stern and using wood to cook with when I go cruising as an alternitive to gas. maybe not everyday, but I will try and see if it will save money, thus extending my cruise kitty. lol.
Bill

starcrest

I carry propane only in the small bottles use and thro away.2 for about $4.50.one bottle lasts about 8 hrs.these are easy to store and for the most part easy to store.propane is given a garlic-type odor so its easy to smell.I keep several onb
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.