News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Whisker Poles

Started by Captain Smollett, August 21, 2006, 10:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I've  been kicking around the idea of adding a whisker pole to my boat for quite a while.  However, I have noticed on other cruising related sites, that they are not really "recommended."  I also noticed this has not been discussed here on SailFar, so I was wondering what this group thinks about them and their use.

Who is using a whisker pole for downwind work?  What are your thoughts regarding whisker poles on cruising boats?  If you use one, is it homemade or store bought?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AllAboutMe

I have one adjustable pole, and a couple of fixed length spinnaker poles that I use for poling out the different jibs that I carry. The adjustable is a whisker pole, and does fine for most light wind days. I don't know why they wouldn't be recommended for cruising boats. I wouldn't want to use one in 15 to 20 knots of wind, but like I said, light winds, downwind....why not?

Pixie Dust

I too have been thinking about adding a whisker pole to Pixie Dust.  I rarely see anyone using them, but would think they would come in handy for long trips or cruising.  Looking forward to reading some posts on this topic. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Captain Smollett

Larry,

Near as I can figure, the bias against the use of poles for cruising boats are the "issues" of rigging the pole and gybing while single or short handed.  Obviously, there IS more involved in gybing a poled jib than a loose one, but to me it does not seem to be THAT big of deal (remove the pole, gybe, reship the pole??).

Those same folks were of the opinion that the pole had to be 'drop-gybed' or 'end-for-end gybed' like a spinnaker pole, even by a cruiser, if I understand the posts correctly.  Maybe I misunderstood.

In the Self-Steering chapter of Eric Hiscock's book Cruising Under Sail, he talks about twin headsails with the use of poles.  I've also read of folks using the boom and preventer to 'pole' the main out to windward and let the jib fly to leeward, or even using the boom (without the mainsail set) as a pole to hold one headsail to windward.

The closest I've come to actually using a pole is sitting on the foredeck with a boathook.  It seemed to work well enough that my interest in getting a whisker pole increased.  I only presently have one headsail, a 100% 'working' jib, so twinning is not presently an option.  Though I am interested in that an alternative to a spinnaker.

Where room permits, I tend to broad reach and gybe rather than run.  If I lack the searoom to do that, I run wing-and-wing or drop the main and let the jib 'pull' me down.

I'm thinking about making a fixed length pole from a wood dowel; those adjustable aluminum ones are EXPENSIVE.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

It seem sto me as though the differnece is all about it being a 'small boat'.

I use my whisker pole often, partially because I ordered a genny that was much heavier then my sail maker advised..... but it really is 'not a big deal'.  I have a telescoping pole, but have also used my boat hook with some success (I have used it from the cockpit when singlehanding).

If I were on a 40'er, I doubt my boat hook would be of much use.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

A pole is great for keeping the jib/genoa out and full in lighter winds, especially if you've ordered one out of heavier materials than normal.  It makes it much easier to keep the sail full, and also helps quite a bit if the boat is rocking with the swells.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more