News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

What's the most...

Started by Skipper Dave, December 27, 2005, 02:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Currently self employed. Wife is self employed  also. When I did my several years full time cruising, I just simply quit work, sold the cars and junked every thing else, and went. When I returned I opened a business. I now draw soc sec though, which helps immensely :D

Now we work hard until we can go, then shut down and go for however long we feel like. At the moment we are in a working hard stage. Not sailing as much as we'd like. But this spring we'll be out again.

The real secret to going cruising is to reduce what you have, and what you need. If you REALLY want  to go, sell the big house and buy a tiny one. Sell the new cars and drive old ones- and keep driving them til they quit- then fix 'em. Get a small boat that doesn't cost a bunch to keep up or pay for.  In other words, reduce that nut you have to crack. Reduce it WAY down.

'It's a trade off- you swap one thing for another, and many who SAY they'd like to cruise, really don''t want to give up what they must in order to do so. Unless you happen to be rich, which most aren't:) It's not easy for most people to drop out of the  "buy bigger,  own more" mindset of our modern society though. We are fed that our entire lives and it's very very hard to disconnect. But it can be done, ya just gotta want it badly enough.

All this presumes good health you understand- if there are medical problems, then things are different.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Dory Man

I'm currently reading "Sailing Small" which I noticed Iceman recommended in the Book Forum. One of the writers made the point that sailing on a small boat can really grow on you. I've had three summers on Dream Weaver and each year I've wanted to do more. My life style limits my possible trips to two or three weeks for now but I fantasize about retirement and circumnavigating Long Island or aimlessly searching all the harbors in Narragansett Bay. And who knows beyond that.

Dick

CapnK

Dave - Yes, I liveaboard, and I LOVE it. :) The quarters are small, relatively, but that just means I have less "stuff" in my life. Less stuff = More freedom, to me. I've lived out of sea kayaks for weeks at a time, so really this boat is almost palatial, especially considering I don't have to set it up every night, and completely unpack and repack it at the beginning and end of every day. :D

Sailorman - I just have a "small house, that floats", and it didn't cost much at all compared to one that doesn't. ;D Somewhere on this forum, Flicka Rik made a post about how the "American Dream" has become the "American Financial Trap", and that's something I have assiduously avoided. I drive an old car (a '91), buy good clothes at discount/closeout prices (mail order, or sales), and just don't have a need for so many "things" that most people think they "need" (like TV's), so my "monthly nut" is a very small one. BUT - I'm rich (not to be confused with "wealthy" ;) ). Then again, I don't have kids - just a couple o' scurvy CrewDogs, and that's a huge financial difference.

I was reading another sailing board today where a 'net friend is spending $12,000 per foot for his new boat (outfitted). I could live for several years off of 5 feet of his boat. :D

CJ is making some good points. I was lucky to have been influenced by the Pardeys and Don Casey early on in my boat buying and "edumacation". Eric/Starcrest is on to something as well. In fact, I met a transient Saturday who picked up a Isabel-refugee Catalina 25 in Va. and deal-hunting, he got her ready to go for about $2K. Then he saved up a months salary, and just took off. He started in Portsmouth, and is headed South, willing to stop and replenish the kitty wherever and whenever. He has the website address here, I imagine we'll hear from him once he gets down Florida way.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)