News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

marking anchor rode

Started by doug, September 24, 2009, 07:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

Looking for ideas to mark the anchor rode to know how much we have out. The marking method needs to survive a windlass and be visible to my older eyes.

Thanks

Delezynski

Doug, What works for us,

To mark our anchor rode, (all chain), I painted a color stripe every 33 Ft. Red, yellow, green, then 2 red, 2 yellow, 2 green, then 3 red..... Etc....

I have seen others use red, white and blue.

I also used the colored electrical tie wraps, Same color as the paint. They went through the windless just fine and have not come off for over 4 years of usage.

If you are using line, they sell yellow tabs.

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

Captain Smollett

Quote from: doug on September 24, 2009, 07:56:28 PM

Looking for ideas to mark the anchor rode to know how much we have out. The marking method needs to survive a windlass and be visible to my older eyes.

Thanks

I took some strips of red cloth and tied on the links of the chain or into the weave of my three strand rode.  I mark my rode in 5 fathom increments; for example, my 18 footer has combined 165 ft of chain and nylon, so I marked it thusly:

One strip at 5 fathoms
Two strips at 10 fathoms
three strips at 15 fathoms
Two at 20
One at 25

By reversing the pattern at the middle, I can end-for-end the rode at some point without having to redo the markings.

The marks are "tactile" so I can use this system in the dark.  I don't like color schemes for this reason (your mileage may vary, but I have anchored quite a number of times in the dark and have therefore come to appreciate this aspect).

As I used an old red t-shirt to make the strips, it cost me nothing to mark my rode.

I suspect there will be almost as many opinions on marking an anchor rode as there are on which anchor to use.   :P   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Auspicious

I use a modified version of the USCG and Navy standard. That standard provides for alternating red, white, and blue paint every shot (90 feet). I use the same color scheme but mark (using a number of wire ties) every 10 meters. 10 meters is a convenient length (just under 33 feet; about 5.5 fathoms) which means the third mark is right about 100 feet.

I haven't bothered to differentiate between the first and second instance of each color. I can tell the difference between 10 meters and 40 meters of chain out! *grin*

The wire ties work fine through the windlass. I have had similar good experience threading wire ties through multi-plait and three-strand line. The wire ties passed through the combination line-chain gypsy on a previous boat. The ties were still in good shape when I sold that boat after two years; I anchored out once or twice a week for 9 months a year.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

The key to using cable ties on a chain is to put them through the links so they wrap around the two links where they meet at the short side of the link, rather than just around the long side of a single link.  If you wrap them around the long side of a single link, the gypsy tends to eat them.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Auspicious

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on September 25, 2009, 08:46:23 AM
The key to using cable ties on a chain is to put them through the links so they wrap around the two links where they meet at the short side of the link, rather than just around the long side of a single link.  If you wrap them around the long side of a single link, the gypsy tends to eat them.

That's not my experience of eight years. They seem to hold up well regardless, at least on Lewmar gypsies.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

doug

Thanks for the ideas. Since we are short on chain (30') with the balance rode, we elected to weave 70 pound weaved fishing line into the rode. I think its going to stay on the rode, it remains to be seen how well the colors can be seen after getting several mud baths.