Rotator Cuff or arm injury modifications

Started by Shipscarver, September 05, 2009, 02:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shipscarver

I will have torn rotator cuff surgery next month. If you have been there/done that, are there rigging or boat modifications that will make it easier/faster to get the boat out on the water again for a solo sailor? Otherwise, they tell me it will be 6 months or more recovery. That means I miss the whole Florida sailing season. Not Acceptable!
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Amgine

Okay, we have to ask, is it the primary arm?

First, you need to learn a new technique for grabbing and hauling on a line. Grab the slack line with your injured arm, make a loop. With your uninjured arm, put your hand up through the loop, and grip both legs of the loop in your palm. Because the line does a 180° over your wrist, you can now haul on the line with a much greater percentage of your force no matter the size of the line. You can also immediately release the line by simply opening your hand.

You also need an autopilot. You cannot steer, even occasionally, with that arm. And don't tell me you wouldn't use that arm. I have broken my wrists repeatedly (bad habits with bicycles), and I *always* end up with the tiller on the cast arm... You'd think the pain alone would have prevented it.

Beyond this, you need to consider using a handy billy for everything. A handy billy is a simple 3:1 or 4:1 block and tackle with a rope tail on each block. The rope tails mean you can attach the standing block whereever is handy, and you can grab onto any line with a quick rolling hitch. It's even nicer if you have a fiddle with cam cleat. The point is, you want as much mechanical advantage as possible. But you must plan everything out in advance, set things up, and then carefully do it. Do not think you can use a winch; you are far far too likely to end up using both hands.

So, and of course you knew this one was coming, you are not going sailing in anything which might, even as a remote possibility, be "exciting" sailing. You're going to motor most of the time, and learn how to sail in 'barely a breeze', and be satisfied with with galley accomplishments rather than rail-down accomplishments. For a long time. Rotator cuff injuries do not heal. Rotator cuff surgery only maybe heals. This is the only time you have a chance of fixing this, so you are going to take it easy, you are going to follow your doctor's instructions, and you are going to paint and varnish and twiddle your thumbs in frustration and you will heal up for future seasons of sailing.

Best skills to practice? dropping sails one-handed, starting the motor one-handed, using the autopilot one-handed. Tying a rolling hitch one-handed.

Shipscarver

Thanks!  Experience is the best teacher. IT'S THE TIME THING THAT IS THE WORST.
And yes, it's the right arm and I am right handed.

Cpt2Be

Try and make sure to see a Physical Therapist & Massage Therapist regularly during the healing process. It will ensure you heal properly and stronger.

Oldrig

Amgine's advice is pretty sound. If you're based in the north, than October is a good time for the surgery.

I haven't had rotator cuff surgery (yet, knock on wood), but the owner of the mooring next to mine had it done a year ago. He's a fanatic catboat sailor (no winches) and a very aggressive racer.

He didn't even put his boat in the water for the season that he had his surgery.

That seemed drastic at the time, but now he's back with a vengeance, winning all his races again, and kayaking up a storm when he isn't catting around.

Good luck.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Shipscarver

But - I'm in Florida and have been waiting out the summer!  Phooey!
The bad news is, it is an injury that happens frequently to men in the 60's and above due to natural wear and tear. However, NOW I know stretching exercises and low weight repetitive lifting can prevent it.

Oldrig

Carver,

Sorry to hear that you're in Florida. (No, I'm not commenting on the socio-political situation on this board).

Guess that's one advantage to sailing in the frozen North: You get at least six or seven months to recover from injuries sustained while sailing.

I haven't yet torn my rotator cuff, but I did get some painful adhesions in both shoulders. A chiropractor and a physical therapist both told me about those stretches and exercises--so perhaps my luck will hold.

Hang in there (and don't life weight above your head).

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

j d

shipscarver, So sorry to hear this. My wife had this done. I don't see you sailing soul mate for a while. Kathie was in a sling for the longest while and even when out of it was not to lift anything heavier thin a cup of coffee. I'm sure they have told you that the recovery is not only long but pain full. you can't afford an injury to it while you heal. Even the trip in to your cabin is steep and deep, a two handed job. plan on a sailing buddy to sail with you after you have recuperated some. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it is the way I see it. Better to use that time to research future ports of call and routs. plan maintenance and such. Good luck with the procedure. I wish you well. J D
s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27
Presently berthed in Antioch, CA
exploring the Delta and bay

Navyvet

I am the last person to be a nay sayer but I have to do this. Please Just be careful you might have to do some motoring around as aposed to sailing. My father had the same sugery he tried to mow his lawn (3 months later) and messed it up again you don't want to miss 2 seasons because you pushed to hard for 1 sail. Listen to what your doc and PT tell you you'll be much better off in the long run. I wish you the best if luck and a fast recovery.
People sleep peacefully in the beds because rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf.

Shipscarver

Thanks all.
I am re-rigging for "singlehanded" sailing from the cockpit. I never felt it was necessary to run everything back because she is only a 27 foot, but now I am doing so. I figure that way I can sail with crew and feel comfortable with them because I can see what is going on. And, the extra benefit in the future is that it should make sailing easier for an old Grunt like me when I can sail alone.