Rebuilding the nav table - or transforming it from 1965-2009

Started by maxiSwede, October 13, 2009, 08:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxiSwede

As many other older boats, Röde Orm had a nav station just SB under the companionway with a quarter bunk behind it. the table, in solid teak, was double and unfolded towards the stern making it big enough for a full size chart. (or Sunday Times as a UK sailor saaid a couple of days ago ;D)

By now, it's years since we last had a full size paper chart on the table. Most of the time; the laptop sits there under way, and at anchor all kinds of 'stuff' ends up there. Probably the most important use for it is as an extra counter space just opposite the Galley on the Port side.

So, we (well, Isabelles idea)simply wanted it to fold the other way to work as a big box for the laptop and other modern 'toys'. Divided in several compartments with each their separate lid.

We did this rebuild a little while ago and we're really satisfied with the function. It took us a couple of days, mostly because we reused the old teak parts. Since it could provide someone else with a neat solution for the nav station I' post some pictures to give you an idea....

and yes, it still need to be sanded and varnished....one of these days... ::)

before facing aft

and after x2

s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

BTW - here is the link to Röde Orm's Photo Gallery on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9218039@N06/

as an aside, we are at anchor in Cascais, Portugal. Yesterday we made a 30 minutet train trip to Lisbon.

Life is Great. I only regret one thing in life. - That I should have gone cruising 30 years ago!  ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Tim

Great idea Magnus, maximizing small boat thinking. Thanks for the continued updates and pics.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men