Anyone ever sail an old Hughes 25?

Started by Frank, November 03, 2009, 05:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

They were made in Canada between about 68 and 73. Narrow beam, upswept stern and traditional cabin lines. Interesting boat as they were actually quite fast and only drew 3ft 3in.  Anybody ever sail one? Here's a link to pics  http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/8166
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

Frank,

Can not say I ever remember sailing on one, but something is rollong around in the the BHG... I seem to recall that the Hughes 25 was also marketed as a (better known) boat...

Was it built by Rynell, or some such... ?  Maybe this is not helpful, but you might search and see if you can find other manufactures or names for the same boat.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Bubba the Pirate

One of the Hughes Brothers is still alive and is a neighbor of Mom and Dad in Florida.   I think Hughes bought Columbia.  I can get some more history or other info if you need it.  I've heard good things from a biased source.  :o)   

BTW, his name is Howard, Howard Hughes.   

Heres a link with a quick history:  http://ezinearticles.com/?Hughes-Sail-Boats&id=1566798
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

s/v Faith

From Todd's link;

QuoteNorthstar went on to build Hughes' boats, but many owners believe that quality suffered somewhat as a result of the transition.

Do you happen to know the name they were marketed as when the company was sold to Northstar?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Craig...like a lot of boats back then...history is fuzzy, but the Hughes 25 started out as a Shaw design (nutmeg 24) built by Tanzer in Quebec. Hughes purchased a couple of different molds from them and then Howard  (you are right sailorbum) modified the design both above and below the waterline into the "Hughes 25". They did not build large numbers...I'm thinking 75 to 80. I used to sail past one tied to a dock on the way out to the lake...many years ago.The guy had a dodger on his and with the upswept stern they had a mighty nice shape. I didn't realize until just a while ago how fast they were or how shallow a draft. The underbody has extremely slack bilges. I'd guess very tender at 1st then stiffen up. I'd like to hear from someone that sailed one. Interesting boat. The Hughes story is interesting as well. He was in-out of buz about 4 times. He would be a walking history of the early boat business to talk to.

Frank

"Hughes boat works ltd"...then sold to US Steel "northstar yachts"...bought back by Hughes " Hughes boatworks inc"...then he bought Colombia  "Hughes-Columbia"...then went bankrupt...."Aura Yachts" bought it...didn't make a go of it...then Howard bought it again...then it burned.     Talk about history  :o

Craig....when the 25 1st caught my eye when sailing past was in 1981. Doesn't sound 'that' long ago....but 28yrs!! Yikes...I'm getting old

wolfshead13

The Hughes 25 is a fast for its size design of Howard Hughes(the Canadian not the billionare). The hughes-Northstar500 was also a 25 footer but a Sparkman and Stevens design produced from 1969 to 1971.
Hughes did  produce the Hughes 24 from 1967 to 1969 with molds purchased from Tanzer
There were at least 141 of the Hughes 25 built, hull 141 is sailed out of Halifax in Nova Scotia
I know of 8 other 25's still sailing within 100 miles of my location
From experience I can say the boat is very tender to 15-19 degrees after which she stiffens up. Based on my 25 Tardis (hull 128) they are overbuilt for a lake sailor, I have never doubted the boat in foul weather only my abilities.
Sailing is a dream, the boat is light and responsive on the helm and handles well on all points of sail.

Sailorbum please ask your parent to pass on a thankyou for me to their neighbour for his wonderful design, of the four boats I have owned this is the one I have gotten the most enjoyment from.

Now if only I could track down an original owners manual...

Frank

Thanks for the responce and welcome aboard. I figured they'd be initially tender with their slack bilges but the hull shape looks like it would handle waves very well. How is light air performance? They seem to have a lot of sail erea for their size/weight. I assume you'd have to reef the main fairly early? Your stern pic brings back memories as I sailed past one often and just loved the 'look'. Thanks again

Godot

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Frank

Godot......that is a cool link. Oh, to be young  ;). That boat was their race oriented 25. Fast and pretty boat but deep draft. Sure gets ya thinkin when you look at their pics. Goes to show that voyaging need not be expensive.

wolfshead13

You are only too right Frank. My main has 3 reef points (never used the third) and over 20 kts she likes the first one in. Had her out today(Sun) in a 3knot breeze (pre haulout you take anything you can get)  had a great day with main and the 110 hanked on, turned 1.5 - 2 kts
As a note that website is about one of the hughes-northstar 500's, good boat but not quite the same ;D