Our Butterfly Kerosene stove doesn't put out enough heat

Started by polecat, November 05, 2009, 11:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polecat

Bought an old Seacook stove and was getting ready to convert it to Kerosene (or rather mineral spirits).  We decided to light it and make sure it worked - it wouldn't boil 6 oz of water in a 6 inch pan!  using new clean mineral spirits - it lights after 2nd tray full of alcohol and barely heats at all.  Runs for 1-4 minutes then just up and dies.  Will light right back up and run for a short while.  We took it apart and blew it out with high pressure air - it's not dirty - and still does the same.  any suggestions?  can you drill out the jet a small amount to get more out of it? Or re jet it?

Leroy - Gulf 29

I don't know much about stoves, but it sounds to me like the jet is dirty.  You can get tip cleaners at a NAPA store or welding supply place to clean the tip out.  Remember this advice is worth what you paid for it.  Is it a pressure stove?  I just scored on one of those, and am in the process of cleaning it up and firing it up to see if it works, so any advice (other than mine  :)) that you receive will help me as well.

CharlieJ

We also use a Seacook converted to kero.

I agree- I think the orifice is fouled.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

nmwarren

Speaking of seacooks, I just got an old one off Ebay for really cheap, but it doesn't have the bulkhead mounting bracket.  Any ideas on what might work?  Has anyone else had a similar problem?  <p>

Mine looks a lot like this one:
http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/fbbuploads/1246686293-SeaSwing1.jpg

CharlieJ

That isn't a Seacook. It's a Seaswing. The Seacook has a flat plate that drops into a slotted bracket on the bulkhead. The Seaswing has a rod that protrudes that the bracket slides over and setscrews onto a groove.

Of the two the seaswing is superior since nothing sticks out to hang you on.

Edited to add- we also feel that the pot holder arrangement in the Seacook is better. But then that's what we are used to.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

I bought a Butterfly and it also has a very weak flame.  Mine will keep burning with no problem but it takes forever to heat up water and can not keep my pressure cooker up to pressure.  I am using kerosene.  Perhaps it needs diesel.  I am about at the point of reaming the oriface out to increase the diameter slightly.  It does not have enough power to heat for cooking.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

polecat

Skylark - did you get any of the orifice cleaners with your Butterfly?  Three came with mine.  The major problem with mine was that the orifice was crushed a bit on installation restricting the gas flow.  It's a real bear getting that orifice out - I had to make a tool to fit the top of the orifice to get it out. Once out I chucked the orifice up in the drill and turned it using the tip cleaner to work thru the orifice - it now works better but will work it out some more later - if I can ever find that little slotted piece of metal again --- doubtful in my shop.  I'd recommend going to atom's site and looking at his troubleshooting procedures - These things have soft lead gaskets that I can't seem to get sealed again once I took them apart - next time to town will find some fiber gaskets and that ought to do it.  Bad thing about these critters is that everything has to be just right to work - good thing is that few things work as well once you get them going...
jim