News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Butyl Tape

Started by Captain Smollett, October 26, 2009, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Need some info about the butyl tape used for sealing portlights.

I used the search function and got "No Results Found."   Grrr.

I looked here and saw round 'tapes' and wondered if this is what is being used for portlights.

Also, for anyone who has had good results actually using tape to seal portlights, did you use any kind of butyl primer, or just the tape on clean glass (both glass cabin structure and 'glass' ports.)

Yes, we've recently developed a leak that we did NOT have before.   Grrr again.  Get one thing fixed, two more 'break.'

Gotta love boats.    ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Captain Smollett—

You can get the Butyl tape that is used for sealing ports and such at most glass repair shops or RV supply stores. The stuff is usually about 3/4" wide and about a 1/16" thick and comes in a paper-backed roll.  You shouldn't need any primer for it, as it sticks to most materials without any special preparation other than cleaning. 

Click on the image to see where you can buy it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Oldrig

Dan's right.

I tried hardware stores, marine stores and so forth.

Then I called an RV place--and they carried the rolls of tape. Lots of it for very little money.

BTW, they also carry the quick-dissolving toilet paper at a much lower price than marine stores.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

Thanks, guys.  I'll try to the local RV shops before I explore online sources.

Grog for both ...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Glad to help Captain Smollett.

If the RV shop fails, don't forget to try local glass repair shops... I just got a roll of it for a friend at Glaser Auto Glass in New Bedford...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

mitiempo

It comes in black or grey. You want grey. Looks a lot better on a boat.
Brian

Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

AdriftAtSea

Grey's easier to clean up after too...the black smears and looks like heck.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran