News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tomato Gravy

Started by ThistleCap, November 11, 2009, 10:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThistleCap

Late fall means the last of the tomatoes are being picked off the withering plants, but the tomato harvest can be extended by pulling the plants before the first killing frost and hanging them by their root ball from the barn or garage rafters.  The fruit will continue to develop as they sap the life from the plants themselves, and the tomatoes turn red until Christmas.  With the quarts of tomatoes frozen during the bearing season, and those coming late off the hanging plants, tomato gravy can be enjoyed well into winter.  As much as I love tomato gravy, I'm surprised at how few people are familiar with it.  My mother often told me our family would have starved during the Great Depression if it hadn't been for tomato gravy.  It's cheap, hardy, tasty, good for any meal, and if a breakfast, keeps you full well into the day.  It's even something that can be done easily on board.  

Covering the bottom of a large cast iron frying pan with tomatoes will feed 2-3.  Get the pan good and hot, and put a few tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom.  Ripe, or even green, tomatoes can be used.  Cherry tomatoes can be used whole, put plum and larger should be cut into smaller chunks to ease the cook down.  Between the tomatoes being mostly water and the tomatoes being wet from washing, it's best to cover or put a frying screen over the pan to stop spatter from the oil.  On a medium heat, cook the tomatoes down until soft and some of the liquid has boiled off.  A potato masher will help reduce the tomatoes as well.  Add a cup or so of milk, salt and pepper to taste.  Mix self-rising flour and water (I use more milk) and pour slowly into the pan while mixing to thicken for the gravy.  I like a real thick gravy, so use about 3 rounded  tablespoons of flour to a cup of milk.  Stir until it thickens up, and serve over bread or toast.  Yummm!!!  
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

s/v Faith

That sounds wonderful.

Rose an I consider tomatoes to be a separate food group. (not too far off, with that whole 'fruit' vs 'vegetable' thing.   ;D

We generally eat fresh tomatoes raw, but add stewed or diced tomatoes to lots of things.

Gonna have to try tomato gravy, never had it thickend with flour. 

Thanks for that.  (Grog to you sir).  ;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

ThistleCap

Thank you.  I agree with you on the fruit vs. vegetable thing.  They're great either way.  Anyhow, I hope you enjoy it.
Jim
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.

Zen

Tomato Gravy ...Hmmmm.. could this not be also known as: Tomato sauce or Tomato paste, Because it sounds the same to me... ???
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

Quote from: Zen on November 12, 2009, 04:49:43 PM
Tomato Gravy ...Hmmmm.. could this not be also known as: Tomato sauce or Tomato paste, Because it sounds the same to me... ???

Does tomato paste use flour to thicken the sauce?  I bet it is not nearly as good as the tomatoes which have had their every cell wall broken down in the midst of Olive oil. 

First mate just checked the can, Tomato Paste is 'Tomato, tomato pulp, and salt.'  No mention of flour.

I am one who is know to 'fry' chilli. Spread it out in the pan, and let it get thick while the moisture escapes.  Get the chilli really beat down and thick and hardy.... just when it looks uneatable crack open a can of diced tomatoes.  Toss that in with a large sliced sweet onion.

Thanks a meal.   ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Zen

Ahh ok I see. It like add flour to Beef drippings or chicken drippings and bada bing bada boom you got gravy in the room.  8)
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

ThistleCap

Yup, bada bing, gravy it is.  Not sauce or paste.  Give 'er a try.

jotruk

Had the tomato gravy a little earlier man it was great will be making more that is for sure , by the way had it over canned bread
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock