Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Sailing and draw bridges

Started by CharlieJ, November 12, 2009, 06:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Intersting experiennce today.

I already was aware that many lift or draw bridges would not allow a vessel under sail to go under(strangely some will).  But today we were passing through a bascule incompany with another sailboat. He had his engine runnning but had a Jib rolled out also.

The bridge tender refused to open the span until the other boat put his jib awY and came through strictly under power.

Never had that before- anyone else have this occur?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on November 12, 2009, 06:26:27 PM
Intersting experiennce today.

I already was aware that many lift or draw bridges would not allow a vessel under sail to go under(strangely some will).  But today we were passing through a bascule incompany with another sailboat. He had his engine runnning but had a Jib rolled out also.

The bridge tender refused to open the span until the other boat put his jib awY and came through strictly under power.

Never had that before- anyone else have this occur?

I recall having more then one fuss at me as I was going through, or after.  I can not recall being told I could not transit.

I will admit that I often will furl the jib while I turn circles under power waiting for the opening, and often unfurl the jib as soon as the bridge starts to open.... by the time they see what is going on it is usually too late.  ;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Yes, I've seen that quite a bit... however, the practice seems to be bridge tender specific.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

ThistleCap

Having worked seven years as a bridge tender in Florida at St. Augustine and Crescent Beach, perhaps I can explain that it only seems baffling because you're not walking that mile in his shoes, as they say.  It's not only tender-specific, but situation-specific.  The same tender that will allow you to sail or motorsail through today, may not tomorrow.  He has to serve and represent the interests of both the waterman and the highway driver, highway workers, police and fire emergency vehicles, all while having the Dept. of Transportation and the Coast Guard looking over his shoulder ready to Monday-morning quarterback every decision he makes.  He has to consider wind, current, weather, other approaching traffic, commuter traffic flow, etc. etc.  Just as every skipper has both the right and responsibility to make and stand accountable for his decisions, so does the bridge tender.  It also has to do with how much he's willing to accept your knowledge and professionalism, because if you screw up, it comes back on him.

Any time a vessel collides with a bridge or another vessel in the span, even if it's the size of a sailfar boat, it starts a whole series of investigations that may last a week.  Even if it was a small boat that struck the fender, the DOT has to send in investigators to check the fendering.  The fenders and walkways carry electrical wiring, and all types of utilities travel under the bridge.  If a boat loses control and is swept under the bridge, inspections will need to be done by the phone company, the gas company, the water and sewer utility authority.  If the bascule is struck, the bridge will have to be shut down for a thorough inspection of all the anchorings, control mechanisms, and if the collision involves a mid-to-larger size vessel, divers may have to go down to inspect the bridge piers.  The bridge tender has to write a report, DOT will write their investigation, the Coast Guard or Corps of Engineers will see how they all compare and may write guidelines that will affect every vessel coming behind you.  The tender's job looks easy, but it's not all peaches and cream.

Lastly, it's not just the bridge tender.  The bridges come under the authority of the Coast Guard and Corps of Engineers.  They contract to the individual state Dept. of Transportation.  The DOT contracts to private companies.  Those companies have supervisors responsible for 'X' number of bridges and tenders.  The DOT will have area supervisors that also supervises  'X' number of bridges and tenders.  So that's six layers of bureaucracy that the tender is accountable to, each with their own written regulations, each with their own written procedures, and each with their own personal unwritten expectations.  The tender that let you sail through in the morning may have one of their supervisors looking over their shoulder ready to criticize his decision to allow the same thing hours later.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

SV Wind Dancer

Lynx

Sailing under a Bridge of any kind is to dangerous to put my mast at risk.
MacGregor 26M

wallo9

Well thistlecap is right bridge tenders carry a heavy load I was a tender in Jacksonville for a no. of years because the waters are tidal  and many boatonwers don't even know the height of their masts I'll repeat a phrase i hate-" They do it for your own good"

Captain Smollett

I sailed through the Ben Sawyer Bridge (just North of Charleston, SC on the ICW) and the bridge tender (who was 15 minutes LATE in opening the bridge..   >:(  ) came out to see what was going on.

We had had a 'mechanical failure' and thus no mechanical propulsion (I had wrapped a line around the prop while doing my circles waiting for the bridge to open   ::)  ).  The current and wind was setting us toward the bridge and the ONLY way to get and maintain steerage way was to raise sail.

Missed hitting the bridge by INCHES and the only reason we did not hit it was getting the sail up and drawing.

To her credit, she looked more amused and intrigued than critical.

That's the one and only time I've sailed through an opening bridge.  I did sail through our bridge here that is under construction...one span was left 'undone' while work was being done.  Again, due to engine failure (another guy's boat), we were sailing in.  So, while technically an opening bridge, it was not complete.

Quote from: Lynx

Sailing under a Bridge of any kind is to dangerous to put my mast at risk.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this.  Isn't the mast up going under a bridge whether sailing or not?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Bubba the Pirate

I've always found that sailing under the bridges is WAY easier than sailing over them.  :)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

excavman

I have been 'sailing' over way to many bridges this winter, time to take the boat off the trailer and go under for a change.

Thanks for the info, I learn something new every day when I come to this site.

Larry
Chrysler C-22
S/V Sally Ann