Making a curved pattern?...Here's the tool

Started by Frank, November 12, 2009, 09:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

This may have been mentioned before and I missed it but if not, I bought this today at Harbour Frieght Tools for $15. Anyone who's worked on a boat can see how easy this will make some tasks.Wish I'd had it years ago. I love anything simple that works....cheap is good too  ;) :o ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Auspicious

In drafting or mechanical drawing that's called a spline. Useful tool. The ones for drawing don't hold their shape. That one looks great for taking shapes off existing parts and replicating them.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Oldrig

Sure looks like it would be a lot easier to do than "spiling" a curve with a woodworker's compass. I've seen experienced boatbuilders do it like second nature, but when I tried it, I got it all wrong.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

newt

Haiden- i can't quite visualize what you are doing. Lets say you have a compound curve inside the boat and you want to make a watertank to fit. How do you get the curve (when all you have is the inside of the boat curve)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

newt

Thanks for the pic, I am kinda understanding now. Do you just have a collection of pieces that you reuse? Hot glue sounds like the way to go.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Captain Smollett

I've used a 'notch stick' with success...simple and pretty quick.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

Quote from: haidan on February 04, 2010, 03:26:41 PM

I'm not familiar with this "notch stick" Capn' Smollete care to elaborate?

Hmmm.  I thought there was another name for it, but could not remember.  It's also called a Joggle Stick

Simple to make from a piece of scrap, and cardboard or posterboard works okay for the pattern board.  They don't have to be as elaborate as the ones shown on the page linked.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Also called a tick stick IIRC.  Believe that's what Don Casey calls it in one of his books.

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 04, 2010, 04:06:10 PM
Quote from: haidan on February 04, 2010, 03:26:41 PM

I'm not familiar with this "notch stick" Capn' Smollete care to elaborate?

Hmmm.  I thought there was another name for it, but could not remember.  It's also called a Joggle Stick

Simple to make from a piece of scrap, and cardboard or posterboard works okay for the pattern board.  They don't have to be as elaborate as the ones shown on the page linked.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more