News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Universal M2-12

Started by Piraten, November 17, 2009, 04:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piraten

I found a Universal M2-12 for $1000.  I can rotate the crankshaft by hand and it supposedly ran before it was pulled out of the boat.  My question is, is it too small to push a 28 Irwin around?  I believe that it came originally with a gas engine, an atomic 4, but the manuals I have are volvo/Penta.  The inboard was gone before I bought it and had a 9.9 Nissan hanging off the back.

Thanks

Hans
If it floats, it's a boat.  If it sinks, it's a reef
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

skylark

I'm not sure what the rated hp is, but if it is over 5hp, it is enough for your boat. 
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Tim

I think is rated at 10hp. I am just not sure of its value without being able to test it, unless you can trust the seller.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Piraten

Well, it is rated at 10hp, but the gas engine was higher, I think.  I realize diesels have more torque and that I can get away with a smaller diesel as opposedd to gas.  The 9.9 goes to hull speed with throttle left over, so I assume with the right prop, I should be good.  I think Irwin put Yanmar 1 cyl diesels in for a few years, but I can't find the rated output.

As far as trusting the seller, I'll have to work that out, but it's not frozen and I haven't seen a diesel this cheap in forever.
If it floats, it's a boat.  If it sinks, it's a reef
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

CapnK

Hans -

Com-Pac used that same engine in their CP27's (not sure if they still do or not), and I had one in my CP23; I think it would work fine for you.

It is a good engine, fairly straightforward WRT the mechanicals, and it's built on a Kubota block, so most diesel mechs won't have qualms about working on it and parts are handy. Some parts you can get from farm tractor suppliers.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Oldrig

If your prop is correctly matched with the engine, it should push a 28.

Cape Dory originally powered their 27s with the Yanmar 1GM (the same engine on my 25D), but I know several owners who repowered.

Good luck.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627