News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

splicing 3 strand

Started by j d, November 22, 2009, 11:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j d

Have a question about splicing a not new line but first want to thank CapnK for fixing my log on. Thanks! My 1/2" 3 strand rode is 4 years old but one end has never been in the water. I know the rule about not splicing old line. I want to add another 100'. If I switch ends is the unused part safe to splice? It is my rode and I want to be sure. What do you guys think?
s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27
Presently berthed in Antioch, CA
exploring the Delta and bay

Gary Guss

I think that taking a chance on your anchor rode is probably false economy, it probably won't be a problem but if it is it will be at the worst possible time.

Oldrig

I successfully put a chain-to-wire splice (more like re-weaving, really) on an old rode, and have had no problems so far.

First I washed the line by hand in a trash bucket with dish detergent and a small amount of liquid fabric softener. Then I let it dry thoroughly in the sun for several days. The line seemed like new.

Of course, as Gary points out, the last place you want a line to fail is your anchor rode.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

AdriftAtSea

If it were a less important/critical line, I'd say go for it.  But, a brand new anchor rode with all new line isn't that much money, and anchor rodes are really not the place to economize.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

j d

OK, You guys are right. My boat is worth more than I would maybe save. So I'll invest in new longer rode.
Thanks for the input.
s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27

Gary Guss

You can always use that old line to make a lifetime supply of baggywrinkle  ::)

CharlieJ

Maybe I just don't understand something, but I have no problem splicing old line. Other than that it's tougher to splice than new stuff.

Our anchor rode is spliced directly to the chain using a back splice through rhe last link. Been doing that for years. When the end begins to look a bit ragged I cut the splice off and resplice it. Just recenlu did so in fact after five years, mainly to take a look at whether ther was any wear in there-nor a sign.

And we are on a dock today for the first time in two months.

I also resplice dock lines ifthey get some chafe.

Edited to add-

of course when that back splice on our rode goes over the roller there's already 75 feet of chain out there.

Andfinally if I didn't think a line was in good enough shape to take a new splice, I'd most certainly retire it.

Frankly, I've never heard of a problem splicing old line. AsI said, except for the fact that it's hard to do.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ThistleCap

I agree with Charlie.  If it's in good shape, there's no problem.  Oldrig's idea is good not just for splicing, but salt and sand are great abrasives in line and shorten its life.  It's a good idea to wash and soften line annually or when you think of it to make to easier to use and make it last longer.  Besides using shackles and back splices, which concentrate wear at a given spot, a line to chain splice is a good option as well, and allows the chain to run unobstructed over the roller or through a hawse or closed chock.  If anyone wants to know how to do a chain to line splice, I'll elaborate.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

Auspicious

I also agree with Charlie.

I read an interesting article a year or so ago (don't remember where it was or who the author is, but I probably wouldn't remember if it didn't seem credible at the time) about old rope.

The author did load testing to destruction of various ages of rope.

The most interesting finding was that the cleaning of new rope with detergent and fabric softener reduced the strength to that of old rope, but cleaning of old rope did not further reduce the strength.

My take-away is that if cleaning with detergent and fabric softener makes splicing old rope a little easier then go for it.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

jotruk

I've been splicing old line for years and have not had a problem. It just gets a little tougher to do as the line gets some age and use on it.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Oldrig

I should add to what Thistlecap said.

My rode is also attached to the chain with a "line-to-chain" splice, which I mistakenly called "reweaving."

Even though I don't have a windlass, I opted for that splice because it looked more secure than merely backsplicing to a single link, and because it was very easy to do. I found step-by-step instructions somewhere on the web.

At present, I haven't done all that much anchoring. Most of the places around the south coast of New England are not that deep, so I've got 25 feet of chain on about 200 feet of nylon. It's always worked well for me.

--Joe

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

j d

OK, I will do it. I think though that I'll add 150' instead of 100. Put it on the bottom end with my 30' chain and splice the best end of my present rode to it. Probably I'll seldom pay out enough rode to get to it anyway, but it will be there if I need it. Thanks for the replies. John
s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27

Grime

If you use spray starch and spray the rope real good it will hold the fibers together to make braiding easier and cleaner. You can do this with new and old rope.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27