News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Trailer life ?

Started by matt195583, November 30, 2009, 04:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt195583

I seem to see a lot of painted boat trailers in pictures of American boats I have just painted mine with high zinc enamel paint . although the popular method here is hot dip galvanizing.
       If anyone here has a painted boat trailer could you please share with me the paint type and life of the paint . note my trailer is used in salt water .

Tim

Of the three trailers I have one is painted, and from what I can tell it doesn't matter the type as much as the frequency. I have to touch up mine ever two years. I just use a rustoleum paint.
I would put out the extra money for  galvanized if using in salt water.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Mario G

If you can get Por 15 you would only have to paint it once.  Wounder how well truck bed liner would work?

My trailer has treated lumber post and rails, how does salt water effect wood.

Godot

Quote from: Mario G on November 30, 2009, 07:11:02 AM
If you can get Por 15 you would only have to paint it once.  Wounder how well truck bed liner would work?

My trailer has treated lumber post and rails, how does salt water effect wood.

I would think that salt water is much better for wood than fresh water.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

ThistleCap

I've used Petit Trailer Coat, which works well.   My trailers have been galvanized also, but I paint them afterwards to keep after rust that does occur, and just to spruce up the appearance of the trailer.  After I put on a new gel coat, the trailer was covered with epoxy, poxy-tar, and bottom paint.  Painting over the galvanizing adds extra protection, but just makes it look nice.  The TrailerCoat cures with the moisture in the air, so it doesn't store well.  Once you start painting, you might as well keep going until it's gone.  Silver Rustoleum also works well to keep rust at bay.  Part of the secret also is choosing a trailer with no enclosed surfaces where you can't keep after the corrosion.  The only square or round stock should be the tongue, which usually isn't in the water.  Axles are commonly tubular, but very heavy material.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.