News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cold

Started by Auspicious, January 23, 2008, 02:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auspicious

I have a full-batten main and a working jib. At the Annapolis boat show last Fall I ordered a 135 jib from Quantum. Monday, some stalwart (insane) friends showed up along with my (insane) sailmaker and we went for a check-sail with the new genoa.

I don't regret having the 100 jib for my transatlantic. I am absolutely thrilled to have the 135 now on the Chesapeake.

It was cold (19F when we left the dock, 22F when we got back) with 12 - 15 kt wind from the WNW. We reached out toward the Bay Bridge and then beat back. Very very cold, but what a great time we all had. I'm amazed at the additional power of the slightly larger jib. I'll wait until the weather is a bit warmer before I try out the performance of the sail when partially furled.

In the meantime, the boat was much faster. In relatively light air boat speed was 2/3 - 3/4 of true wind instead of 1/2 or less. What a rush!

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CapnK

Donchajustluvit when a plan comes together? ;D  8)

We have this odd thing called 'sunshine' today, and it's compliment, 'warmth'.

I think this is because their nemesis (at least, at this time of year...) 'wind' decided it would not come out to play.

Which is just as well, when one is sitting onboard a small boat at the dock in January, reading of the South Pacific while eating a sandwich... :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)